Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

29 minutes ago, Weave said:

I can't recall a single MSM new outlet calling the flu worse.  If anything, they were ringing the alarm bell before it even hit our shores.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/time-for-a-reality-check-america-the-flu-is-a-much-bigger-threat-than-coronavirus-for-now/2020/01/31/46a15166-4444-11ea-b5fc-eefa848cde99_story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/opinion/china-travel-coronavirus.html

jNBAnDqG_x96.png

Since I’m encouraging New Yorkers to go on with your lives + get out on the town despite Coronavirus, I thought I would offer some suggestions. Here’s the first: thru Thurs 3/5 go see “The Traitor”

. If “The Wire” was a true story + set in Italy, it would be this film.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-31/flu-coronavirus

Are you calling a handful of op eds and one letter to the editor a MSM wide underselling of COVID?  If anything, it is evidence that MSM hasn’t shouted down opinions counter to the vast majority of the scientific community and let counter opinions be heard.  I think you’ve vastly overstated what you are trying to convey.

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Are you calling a handful of op eds and one letter to the editor a MSM wide underselling of COVID?  If anything, it is evidence that MSM hasn’t shouted down opinions counter to the vast majority of the scientific community and let counter opinions be heard.  I think you’ve vastly overstated what you are trying to convey.

Let me explain. What you see on the news is at best the tip of the iceberg. Contrary to what Cuomo would like you to believe they do not have legal access to classified information which is why they repeat their little headlines and snippet. It’s all the anchor has of value. 

Tv news is really just guided discussions like a talk show. They have to fill that 24 hour cycle so they start with a little information of value and then go off the rails. Start with leading statements and let a guest or panel go off. Whenever there is an anticipated question of “how did they get this” there seems to be some anonymous insider. The anchor says they are protecting their source. The viewer not believes the information from someone who may not exist.

This, along with op eds allow major outlets to push a narrative with minimal blowback. It’s what you just did for them in your reply. Yes those outlets published the piece but it’s just someone’s opinion. Not like Don Lemon or Sean Hannity said it. 

How hard were WMDs in Iraq pushed? Possible war with NK? Possible war with Iran? Seems like MSM gave up on the Kurds like Trump did. Kashogi who? These stories were pushed the way they were for a certain time to influence your perception of the world and fill air time.

Here’s an example from today. In the snippet Trump says the number of U.S. cases is a testament to testing. The way he articulates the thought is stupid though. In fact he sucks at it. Too many filler words/phrases.

Afterward and prior to, Mika doesn’t dispute the information but gives a twisted lens to see it through. Not hard when Trump is as bad as he is at speaking. Then she goes off topic with a personnel counterattack. Something Trump is criticized for doing. The way she does it is painting someone else as the victim to make it look like she’s defending a victim instead of her own personal slight. The problem is she tries and fails to keep her emotions in check which is the tell all its personal for her. Therefore she’s using her platform for a personal attack but trying to hide it. Again something Trump is criticized for doing.

7 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Let me explain. What you see on the news is at best the tip of the iceberg. Contrary to what Cuomo would like you to believe they do not have legal access to classified information which is why they repeat their little headlines and snippet. It’s all the anchor has of value. 

Tv news is really just guided discussions like a talk show. They have to fill that 24 hour cycle so they start with a little information of value and then go off the rails. Start with leading statements and let a guest or panel go off. Whenever there is an anticipated question of “how did they get this” there seems to be some anonymous insider. The anchor says they are protecting their source. The viewer not believes the information from someone who may not exist.

This, along with op eds allow major outlets to push a narrative with minimal blowback. It’s what you just did for them in your reply. Yes those outlets published the piece but it’s just someone’s opinion. Not like Don Lemon or Sean Hannity said it. 

How hard were WMDs in Iraq pushed? Possible war with NK? Possible war with Iran? Seems like MSM gave up on the Kurds like Trump did. Kashogi who? These stories were pushed the way they were for a certain time to influence your perception of the world and fill air time.

Media are businesses.  Their goal is to make a profit by getting viewers.  They will put out whatever they think will keep viewers tuning in.  They sensationalize everything because it’s more interesting that way.  They don’t have an over arching political agenda, they just want to make money.

Edited by Curt

18 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I’ll be “snarky” when you ignore the fact I do blame him just not solely.

Yes he’s the president but other politicians and the media downplayed COVID-19. It was a team effort at failing. As president he gets the biggest voice and if other big voices go along with it what are people supposed to think? Hold him accountable as you should but I hope you do the same for those in the MSM and other politicians. 

Trump May lose in 2020 which means he was president for just four years. Meanwhile look how many politicians and media personalities have been around for a lot longer. How many of them downplayed, failed and are now staying out of the lime light? Those same people will still be here after Trump yet people will act like all is good because the orange man is out of the Oval Office. The problem is bigger than one person. 

What's the national testing policy look like? Oh yea, Trump doesn't have one. All he has is his threats and his stealing of supplies. Donald Trump is a terrible president who has lied, cheated, stolen, and made money off of this pandemic. 

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Media are businesses.  Their goal is to make a profit by getting viewers.  They will put out whatever they think will keep viewers tuning in.  They sensationalize everything because it’s more interesting that way.  They don’t have an over arching political agenda, they just want to make money.

Trump vies the presidency the same way. 

10 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

And that is why Trump is held to a higher standard than the ***** media. He knew what this was like and decided not to care. He did nothing for a solid month after it arrived. We still do not have a national testing strategy. We still do not have a coherent opening plan. We still just have Trump lying on tv about fake medicines that don't work and how he's the greatest bestest at handling this. Meanwhile we should hit 100k dead Americans by what? Next week? But hey... "I don't take responsibility at all" for the lag in testing - Donald Trump. 

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Watch Fox then MSNBC. Using media to influence a population is not new. It’s in practice today and I’ll leave it at that.

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Also, MSNBC is not good. I don't know why anyone would watch them/read them. You can see their political lean in just about all they do.

Well people do. 

18 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Watch Fox then MSNBC. Using media to influence a population is not new. It’s in practice today and I’ll leave it at that.

Well people do. 

I by influence, you mean giving people what they want, then I agree.

I have been in the media for almost 30 years now. They don’t try to influence anyone. They are merely a reflection of the people watching. They don’t lead, they follow. If they don’t, people change the channel.

30 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Well people do. 

I don’t believe that they are attempting to influence a population. They are targeting an audience and trying to attract that audience.  Fox and MSNBC are targeting different segments of the population, that’s why they highlight/showcase different types of stories and mostly  ignore others.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I don’t believe that they are attempting to influence a population. They are targeting an audience and trying to attract that audience.  Fox and MSNBC are targeting different segments of the population, that’s why they highlight/showcase different types of stories and mostly  ignore others.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

I by influence, you mean giving people what they want, then I agree.

I have been in the media for almost 30 years now. They don’t try to influence anyone. They are merely a reflection of the people watching. They don’t lead, they follow. If they don’t, people change the channel.

Not disputing their attempts to attract an audience. I also agree different outlets target different audiences.

In order to attract those audiences they have to give them what they want. Fox paints Trump (and the public) as a victim of the “deep state”. CNN paints the public as a victim of Trump because he’s racist, unhinged, and possibly colludes with Russia. By giving each audience what they want to hear they also validate the audience’s preconceived opinion. If I’m colorblind and think a shirt is red all I need is someone I think is not colorblind to tell me I’m right. 

Everyone has their own opinions on Trump. As humans we like to be told we are right. These corporate media outlets provide that validation for their audiences. IMO one reason why we are so divided is because we get our opinions validated by same thinking outlets then take to social media to attack each other with a misguided confidence in our knowledge. 

But trump is racist and unhinged. I would say he colludes with Russia, but no intelligent person would ever collude with him on something illegal because he will throw you under the bus instantly. However you can say he begged Russians for help

Edited by drnkirishone

1 hour ago, drnkirishone said:

But trump is racist and unhinged. I would say he colludes with Russia, but no intelligent person would ever collude with him on something illegal because he will throw you under the bus instantly. However you can say he begged Russians for help

Wow you clearly have training in counterintelligence. I would love to hear what course you attended and your experience in such investigations. 

Edited by SABRES 0311

Here you have the POTUS sounding like there is an expectation for an outlet that targets conservative  viewers to push him along. Keep in mind this is the same guy people say has all the facts on COVID but lies about it. If he has the facts on COVID does he also know the media tries to influence how people vote?

Many will disagree, but
@FoxNews is doing nothing to help Republicans, and me, get re-elected on November 3rd. Sure, there are some truly GREAT people on Fox, but you also have some real “garbage” littered all over the network, people like Dummy Juan Williams, Schumerite Chris Hahn, Richard Goodstein, Donna Brazile, Niel Cavuto, and many others. They repeat the worst of the Democrat speaking points, and lies. All of the good is totally nullified, and more. Net Result = BAD! CNN & MSDNC are all in for the Do Nothing Democrats! Fox WAS Great!

Mika seems to think it’s their job to control what people think. 

She tried to save face with this tweet. Problem is that’s not what she said.

Today I said it's the media's job to keep President Trump from making up his own facts, NOT that it's our job to control what people think.

3 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Not disputing their attempts to attract an audience. I also agree different outlets target different audiences.

In order to attract those audiences they have to give them what they want. Fox paints Trump (and the public) as a victim of the “deep state”. CNN paints the public as a victim of Trump because he’s racist, unhinged, and possibly colludes with Russia. By giving each audience what they want to hear they also validate the audience’s preconceived opinion. If I’m colorblind and think a shirt is red all I need is someone I think is not colorblind to tell me I’m right. 

Everyone has their own opinions on Trump. As humans we like to be told we are right. These corporate media outlets provide that validation for their audiences. IMO one reason why we are so divided is because we get our opinions validated by same thinking outlets then take to social media to attack each other with a misguided confidence in our knowledge. 

I don't disagree with any of this. 

Fox and MSNBC are not MSM. The very fact that they tailor to their target audience means that they can't be.

36 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I don't disagree with any of this. 

Fox and MSNBC are not MSM. The very fact that they tailor to their target audience means that they can't be.

Then there are almost zero MSM organizations by your definition.

Regardless, the standard definition of MSM is established, traditional, generally larger news publication outlets.  The term is not dependent upon them being even handed.

Whatever definition you are using is not the commonly used one.

Edited by Curt

4 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Spot on.

13 minutes ago, Curt said:

Then there are almost zero MSM organizations by your definition.

Regardless, the standard definition of MSM is established, traditional, generally larger news publication outlets.  The term is not dependent upon them being even handed.

Whatever definition you are using is not the commonly used one.

All the nightly news on like 2, 4, 7 are pretty dead center and without opinion. Unfortunately, its the people with the strongest opinions who are telling us who they think are slanted. But when you are all the way to the left, everyone else looks right, and when you are all the way to the right, everyone else looks left, and those two groups are the ones yelling the loudest.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

All the nightly news on like 2, 4, 7 are pretty dead center and without opinion. Unfortunately, its the people with the strongest opinions who are telling us who they think are slanted. But when you are all the way to the left, everyone else looks right, and when you are all the way to the right, everyone else looks left, and those two groups are the ones yelling the loudest.

You mean 3, 5, and 10?  There’s no news on 2, 4, and 7.  Kidding!

I actually wasn’t thinking about the local news channels.  I was thinking about the national organizations.

It’s true, in my experience, many local news organizations do a fine job of presenting the news fairly even handedly.

Edited by Curt

23 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Wow you clearly have training in counterintelligence. I would love to hear what course you attended and your experience in such investigations. 

I would love to take your comment at face value and simply say what does any of that have to do with my saying I don't think he colludes with Russia.

But your snark and condescension is littered thru out so I think I will simply say may gnats eat at your genitals for 40 days and ignore you

22 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

I would love to take your comment at face value and simply say what does any of that have to do with my saying I don't think he colludes with Russia.

But your snark and condescension is littered thru out so I think I will simply say may gnats eat at your genitals for 40 days and ignore you

???

Don’t be mad at me because your original post has no substance and you got called out for it. Most on here don’t agree with my views but at least they back up their comments. Probably because they’ve educated themselves on a subject and have life experience. 

10 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

???

Don’t be mad at me because your original post has no substance and you got called out for it. Most on here don’t agree with my views but at least they back up their comments. Probably because they’ve educated themselves on a subject and have life experience. 

I think he colluded with Russia. I have life experience. I’m educated. I don’t have to back up anything. Neither does Irish.

Im happy for you that you are convinced you are right.

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I think he colluded with Russia. I have life experience. I’m educated. I don’t have to back up anything. Neither does Irish.

Im happy for you that you are convinced you are right.

I can’t imagine believing what other people say without knowing where it’s coming from but if it works for you then so be it.