Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

9 hours ago, Frieda said:

Ok not an exact quote. There have been rallies, press conferences and tweets. but here is the jist of it.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/28/trump-south-carolina-rally-coronavirus-118269

I don't know what to do with this.  Don't present it as a quote if it is not a quote.  Period.

I just banned someone for posting fake news, and now you come in here with a fake quote.

This is not a peccadillo.  This is wrong.  

My post from last week, which stated succinctly what is wrong with what you are doing, was deleted, but I will try to sum up:

Remember, this is a hockey forum, principally and primarily.  This is a forum for Sabres fans.  This is not reddit or facebook.  The politics club is for people who regularly participate in hockey discussion to talk about politics with their online friends.

You don't post a lot about hockey, but you have been active with reactions.  You had some posts in October and one last month.  Again, this is a hockey forum.  If you wish to remain active here in this club, remain active there, in the main forum.

The purpose of this is not to go after you.  We have seen many influencers in the US, I'll call them trolls, who gain access to a community and try to promote an agenda.  Said influencers are usually from countries outside the US (often, but not always, former USSR republics) and are intent on spreading discord among Americans.

We will not have this here.  We protect legitimate democracies here.  

I'm going to look at it this way:

1)  You post more. and react more, in the hockey forum than the banned person does, but not by much.

2) You acknowledged your error. 

3) You are not as prolific with the conspiracy theories.

But that is it.  Don't do it again.  The next bs post will result in a ban.  That just is not what we do here.  No fake quotes and no fake news.  And this is a hockey forum.  Not a political forum.  The politics part is adjunctive to the more important hockey part.  Reddit and facebook are there for you if you just want to post political stuff.

Edited by Eleven

On 2/29/2020 at 2:36 PM, SABRES 0311 said:

I always thought the orange man thing was funny. On one hand he is of unnatural color and I admit he looks like something from The Jersey Shore. On the other hand if someone referred to a non white politician by calling them “color-gender” the world would stop spinning. Yes he did it to himself presumably by spray tan or too much time in a tanning bed. It still makes me laugh that those who don’t like Trump use his physical appearance as a punch line. 

For me, people who do this, about anyone, only succeed in getting me to dismiss them as reasonable.  It's shallow to do. 

34 minutes ago, SwampD said:

If only the president himself wouldn’t do it.

Like the time he mocked the disabled reporter?

Or the time he mocked Bloomberg's height?

I agree with @LTS. You forfeit your right to be taken seriously.

17 hours ago, Weave said:

Yeah, whatever, poop face.

Well, in this case it's accurate. You get pass. ?

13 hours ago, SwampD said:

If only the president himself wouldn’t do it.

Indeed.

12 hours ago, Ogre said:

Like the time he mocked the disabled reporter?

Or the time he mocked Bloomberg's height

I agree with @LTS. You forfeit your right to be taken seriously.

Ahhh yup.

Trump "has a hunch" that the WHO's 3.4% mortality rate "is a false number". People have been getting better and "going to work" with it. It is scary how far out of touch he is.

https://www.newsweek.com/lindsey-graham-urges-donald-trump-make-sure-science-behind-what-he-says-about-coronavirus-1490779

To further illustrate the poor leadership on display by this administration, we'll consider the fact that people will be paying for their own test. Pence announcing that the tests will be covered by Medicaid, Medicare and private insurance per a provision in the ACA. The poor soul with no insurance doesn't even get the test and spreads this thing like wild fire. What could they possibly be thinking? They need to get on top of this and slow it down. JC spend my tax dollars on testing anyone and everyone you fools. At the very least put a competent person in charge. "The potential for out-of-pocket costs poses a barrier to getting tested for people who are uninsured and may be infected with COVID-19. " You don't say?! GTFO! Time to step up and be presidential!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/pence-announces-coronavirus-test-will-be-covered-by-medicaid-medicare.html

4 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Trump "has a hunch" that the WHO's 3.4% mortality rate "is a false number". People have been getting better and "going to work" with it. It is scary how far out of touch he is.

https://www.newsweek.com/lindsey-graham-urges-donald-trump-make-sure-science-behind-what-he-says-about-coronavirus-1490779

To further illustrate the poor leadership on display by this administration, we'll consider the fact that people will be paying for their own test. Pence announcing that the tests will be covered by Medicaid, Medicare and private insurance per a provision in the ACA. The poor soul with no insurance doesn't even get the test and spreads this thing like wild fire. What could they possibly be thinking? They need to get on top of this and slow it down. JC spend my tax dollars on testing anyone and everyone you fools. At the very least put a competent person in charge. "The potential for out-of-pocket costs poses a barrier to getting tested for people who are uninsured and may be infected with COVID-19. " You don't say?! GTFO! Time to step up and be presidential!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/pence-announces-coronavirus-test-will-be-covered-by-medicaid-medicare.html

My wife’s work made everyone watch a video about Corona. It said WHO numbers are not as accurate anymore because testing has been/is getting pushed to the state level. I would guess those numbers get reported to the CDC and then make their way to the WHO but the idea is each state has a better idea of their respective status than the bigger entities.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Hank said:

I wonder if this pandemic will actually help President Trump get re-elected. 

Considering he has been able to twist sexual assault, not fighting in Vietnam, and multiple bankruptcies into getting elected. I feel confident that he can twist his incompetence with covid-19 into a positive for re-election

18 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

Considering he has been able to twist sexual assault, not fighting in Vietnam, and multiple bankruptcies into getting elected. I feel confident that he can twist his incompetence with covid-19 into a positive for re-election

Sure he can. He takes no responsibility at all. Said so himself. 

Also I find it interesting that Florida is faking their COVID numbers. I wonder what Georgia is doing considering Kemp is Trumps buddy. 

And finally... I wonder how much money Trump gets for pushing Hydroxychloroquinine 

States' rights is apparently no longer a thing the Repbulican party cares about. They only care about making their money.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-tells-governors-feds-will-step-in-if-government-disagrees-with-state-reopening-plans

"President Trump told governors on a conference call Monday that he "will step in" if the federal government disagrees with state reopening plans, as he largely expressed satisfaction with how the governors are moving to lift coronavirus restrictions in their individual states, according to a report."

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

States' rights is apparently no longer a thing the Repbulican party cares about. They only care about making their money.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-tells-governors-feds-will-step-in-if-government-disagrees-with-state-reopening-plans

"President Trump told governors on a conference call Monday that he "will step in" if the federal government disagrees with state reopening plans, as he largely expressed satisfaction with how the governors are moving to lift coronavirus restrictions in their individual states, according to a report."

In this case I agree the federal government should leave it to the states. However when this thing started Trump got hammered for not shutting down the country. From beginning to end the states can figure it out themselves. 

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

In this case I agree the federal government should leave it to the states. However when this thing started Trump got hammered for not shutting down the country. From beginning to end the states can figure it out themselves. 

I think that he actually got hammered for being generally dismissive of the whole thing and creating no federal response at all.

4 hours ago, Curt said:

I think that he actually got hammered for being generally dismissive of the whole thing and creating no federal response at all.

Agreed.  But that's not what his fans want to believe is the reason he was criticized.

7 hours ago, Weave said:

Agreed.  But that's not what his fans want to believe is the reason he was criticized.

No I think criticism is due. He shouldn’t have downplayed it in the beginning and should’ve used better language to say it came from China. What I don’t agree with is putting the blame squarely on Trump for how this went down. I’d go as far as saying if HRC was president I wouldn’t completely blame her and I am not a fan of that garbage.

Edited by SABRES 0311

10 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

No I think criticism is due. He shouldn’t have downplayed it in the beginning and should’ve used better language to say it came from China. What I don’t agree with is putting the blame squarely on Trump for how this went down. I’d go as far as saying if HRC was president I wouldn’t completely blame her and I am not a fan of that garbage.

How do you not blame the President fully for a very late federal response and his personal downplaying of the severity?

We used to have Presidents that said “The buck stops here”.  Now we have one that says “I’m not taking responsibility “.

Edited by Weave

1 hour ago, Weave said:

How do you not blame the President fully for a very late federal response and his personal downplaying of the severity?

We used to have Presidents that said “The buck stops here”.  Now we have one that says “I’m not taking responsibility “.

To the bold: The second sentence in my last post said he shouldn’t have downplayed COVID. I kept the post short to reduce ambiguity. I’ll keep it shorter next time and use all caps.If I had to guess he downplayed it to avoid hurting the economy for political gain. Obviously that didn’t workout.

I don’t blame Trump for all of it because he wasn’t the only one downplaying. Pelosi urged people to go out as well. In fact I think it was a failure of the government as a whole. All of these people have staffs to advise them so they can come together and make informed decisions. They failed. The earliest common sense approach I can think of was the travel ban and some people thought it was wrong to do at the time. I also blame China but we can talk about it in the COVID thread.

As far as having a president who leads the way by example it sure hasn’t been the three prior to Trump. You must be a lot older than me. You are correct that they said the buck stops here but all it was is talk. Trump’s presidency is the sum of the last few decades. If you think recent presidents were so great then thank them for Trump. 

44 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

To the bold: The second sentence in my last post said he shouldn’t have downplayed COVID. I kept the post short to reduce ambiguity. I’ll keep it shorter next time and use all caps.If I had to guess he downplayed it to avoid hurting the economy for political gain. Obviously that didn’t workout.

I don’t blame Trump for all of it because he wasn’t the only one downplaying. Pelosi urged people to go out as well. In fact I think it was a failure of the government as a whole. All of these people have staffs to advise them so they can come together and make informed decisions. They failed. The earliest common sense approach I can think of was the travel ban and some people thought it was wrong to do at the time. I also blame China but we can talk about it in the COVID thread.

As far as having a president who leads the way by example it sure hasn’t been the three prior to Trump. You must be a lot older than me. You are correct that they said the buck stops here but all it was is talk. Trump’s presidency is the sum of the last few decades. If you think recent presidents were so great then thank them for Trump. 

I related it to your unwillingness to lay blame, so no reason for the snark.

Trump was, by far, the most visible and vocal person in Gov't downplaying this disease.  And he was acting as leader of the free world at the time.  That's enough for me put it on his shoulders.  It was his role to lead and this is what we were led to. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I related it to your unwillingness to lay blame, so no reason for the snark.

Trump was, by far, the most visible and vocal person in Gov't downplaying this disease.  And he was acting as leader of the free world at the time.  That's enough for me put it on his shoulders.  It was his role to lead and this is what we were led to. 

I’ll be “snarky” when you ignore the fact I do blame him just not solely.

Yes he’s the president but other politicians and the media downplayed COVID-19. It was a team effort at failing. As president he gets the biggest voice and if other big voices go along with it what are people supposed to think? Hold him accountable as you should but I hope you do the same for those in the MSM and other politicians. 

Trump May lose in 2020 which means he was president for just four years. Meanwhile look how many politicians and media personalities have been around for a lot longer. How many of them downplayed, failed and are now staying out of the lime light? Those same people will still be here after Trump yet people will act like all is good because the orange man is out of the Oval Office. The problem is bigger than one person. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Which is it?  Did MSM over-react, or did it play things down.  I’m relatively certain you’ve played it both ways now.

That’s because they’ve done both. In the beginning major outlets said the flu is worse and not to fear the spread of COVID-19. Meanwhile Trump got dinged for the travel ban. Overreacting, racist, xenophobic.

Fast forward and MSM would have you believe there is no going back to normal. I believe they called it the new normal actually. Then there was talk of how Trump should’ve shut down the whole country. Trump got dinged for not doing that. 

The likely excuse for for flip flopping is “we didn’t know how bad it was”. What about all these inside sources reporters claim to have. We’ve all seen reports from an anonymous White House insider about a Trump conversation or outburst. You would think those same insiders would’ve spread the truth about COVID from the beginning, if they existed. Chris Cuomo said it’s cool for reporters to access and discuss classified information. Why didn’t he just walk into a SCIF and get the truth himself. Hint: he lied. Instead the MSM pushed COVID as nothing to worry about and then did a 180. 

You are right that hardcore Trump supporters will believe everything he says. I think small minds believe he’s the root of our issues as though Trump brings the death of our country.