Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

I have not watched any of the proceedings over the last couple days so please excuse my ignorance. I ask this question with genuine curiosity so please don't read anything into it. Have there been any surprises so far?

Also, if someone would be kind enough, what does the "53-47" upthread mean? 

Not looking to debate anyone on either side of the aisle. Thanks in advance. 

44 minutes ago, Hank said:

I have not watched any of the proceedings over the last couple days so please excuse my ignorance. I ask this question with genuine curiosity so please don't read anything into it. Have there been any surprises so far?

Also, if someone would be kind enough, what does the "53-47" upthread mean? 

Not looking to debate anyone on either side of the aisle. Thanks in advance. 

No surprises as far as I have heard.  Going down exactly as one would expect in this environment.

53-47 refers to 53 Republican Senators and 47 Democrats.  In other words, party line votes all the way.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

No surprises as far as I have heard.  Going down exactly as one would expect in this environment.

53-47 refers to 53 Republican Senators and 47 Democrats.  In other words, party line votes all the way.

Thank you. 

The only surprise I guess for me is that the Democrats have actually presented their case in a logical and coherent way. I wasn't sure they had it in them. Trump's lawyers largely arguing nonsense while they openly lie about things with no repercussions is basically just more of the same from Trump. Watching Democracy die in real time is surreal. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The only surprise I guess for me is that the Democrats have actually presented their case in a logical and coherent way. I wasn't sure they had it in them. Trump's lawyers largely arguing nonsense while they openly lie about things with no repercussions is basically just more of the same from Trump. Watching Democracy die in real time is surreal. 

Sounds like the Dems are taking the high road during these proceedings? Good for them. I really hope they nominate someone I can get behind. 

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Sounds like the Dems are taking the high road during these proceedings? Good for them. I really hope they nominate someone I can get behind. 

I think at this point it comes down to Bernie, Warren, and Biden. Not sure if you like any of them. 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think at this point it comes down to Bernie, Warren, and Biden. Not sure if you like any of them. 

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Ugh..... Oldest candidate list ever.

No kidding!  The 79, 71, or 78 year old “newcomer” vs the 74 year old incumbent.  Jeez

How about someone the yutes can relate to?

28 minutes ago, Curt said:

No kidding!  The 79, 71, or 78 year old “newcomer” vs the 74 year old incumbent.  Jeez

How about someone the yutes can relate to?

I'd settle for someone that the middle agers can relate to.  FFS I'm 10 years away from Social Security eligibility and still haven't seen a serious Presidential candidate from my generation.  Those old fecks that have been bleeding the world dry for their sole benefit for the last 40 years need to retire and let the world evolve.

Edited by Weave

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not sure any of them could win. Biden would be hurt by the perception of shenanigans involving his son. Warren would have to endure non-stop hate speach in the pocohontus vain. Bernie is seen by many as a far left whackadoodle. I could maybe get behind Biden, possibly Warren. I'm really hoping somebody younger can separate themselves similar to how Obama did before his first term. 

On 1/21/2020 at 10:04 PM, Ogre said:

NE was always a joke to everyone I knew and then Facebook came into being and all those same people lost their minds over silly ***** just like their parents did with the NE...

In your circles I can believe it.. you might unconsciously distance yourself from the kind of person that would believe the NE.. but people did. (I also was not around people like that).

The only.. ONLY way this falls apart for the Republicans is if the constituents in the states of the Republican senators begin to show signs of not supporting their Senator for re-election in 2020...  otherwise it's party line all day long... despite the obviousness of what has happened.

In the end it's not even about whether or not Trump did something wrong and broke the law.  The GAO has already basically said he did.  It's a question of whether any of the 53 Republican Senators will actually vote to the law as opposed to the party line. 

Sad does not even begin to describe our political state at the moment... 

8 hours ago, LTS said:

In your circles I can believe it.. you might unconsciously distance yourself from the kind of person that would believe the NE.. but people did. (I also was not around people like that).

The only.. ONLY way this falls apart for the Republicans is if the constituents in the states of the Republican senators begin to show signs of not supporting their Senator for re-election in 2020...  otherwise it's party line all day long... despite the obviousness of what has happened.

In the end it's not even about whether or not Trump did something wrong and broke the law.  The GAO has already basically said he did.  It's a question of whether any of the 53 Republican Senators will actually vote to the law as opposed to the party line. 

Sad does not even begin to describe our political state at the moment... 

I’ll use my wife and her sisters as an example. All educated women and would scoff at any NE article but all three of them thought back in 2015 when the election was close that Trump was a self made man, dragging himself up out of poverty because that story was all over FB. I nearly choked on my beer when I heard this. My fil and I were quick to educate them. I don’t do FB so I don’t know first hand what’s in there but that was sort of scary for me. I can get enough goofy ideas all by myself, I don’t need to be egged on by FB...

Youre also spot on about the voting public being the only check on Trump at this point. The GOP is the now the Trump party. I know a lot of Republicans in my area that are abandoning those leaders still supporting Trump. That would be an encouraging sign if that were happening all over but I don’t think it is. I’m afraid that there is old, deep rooted hatred that will give them the votes they need to keep their office.

It is apart of Republican political doctrine to support party leaders without question in public. It is why they control the message so well.

The voting public is no check on trump delusionalism due to the first two parts.

I think we have a fair chance to get into a scary situation with the coming election. Fresh off being impeached and not removed, the orange man gets re-elected and the House and Senate both become slight Democrat majorities. 

With a normal president it might be 4 years of do nothing politics. But with our super smart stable genius in charge I will be scared to see what happens.

11 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

It is apart of Republican political doctrine to support party leaders without question in public. It is why they control the message so well.

The voting public is no check on trump delusionalism due to the first two parts.

I think we have a fair chance to get into a scary situation with the coming election. Fresh off being impeached and not removed, the orange man gets re-elected and the House and Senate both become slight Democrat majorities. 

With a normal president it might be 4 years of do nothing politics. But with our super smart stable genius in charge I will be scared to see what happens.

He'll bring in advisors loyal to him and he'll attempt to arrest Congress. 

They can't answer the question because there is no answer. Trump didn't care about corruption in Ukraine, he cared about Biden. Also Trump is a giant hypocrite because his children are running around his administration making millions and yet he is focused on Hunter freaking Biden. 

I mean, holy *****. 

"And if a president did something that he believes will help him get elected, in the public interest, that cannot be the kind of quid pro quo that results in impeachment," Dershowitz argued.

So a president can do anything if they think it is in the public interest for them to be in office. I wonder if this extends to violating the term limits in the constitution. We have reached the end now. Go job nfreeman. I remember still when you closed the political thread and shut down all criticism of the president on this board. Clearly you were one of his early sycophants. So glad that Democracy is one easy acquittal vote away from death. The United States is now a Dictatorial Plutocracy. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I mean, holy *****. 

"And if a president did something that he believes will help him get elected, in the public interest, that cannot be the kind of quid pro quo that results in impeachment," Dershowitz argued.

So a president can do anything if they think it is in the public interest for them to be in office. I wonder if this extends to violating the term limits in the constitution. We have reached the end now. Go job nfreeman. I remember still when you closed the political thread and shut down all criticism of the president on this board. Clearly you were one of his early sycophants. So glad that Democracy is one easy acquittal vote away from death. The United States is now a Dictatorial Plutocracy. 

I think you are misinterpreting the stated argument here.

I believe his meaning was - If the president does something because it is in the public interest, but that thing also, just by coincidence, happens to help get him re-elected, that is not an impeachable offense.

The meaning of that statement is NOT to say that the president can do things purely to help himself politically, if he thinks it’s in the country’s best interest that he is re-elected.

Its still kind of a stupid argument in my opinion.  They have totally switched from saying “This never happened”, to now saying “Well, it did happen, but it was actually a good thing.”

So, the Senate impeachment hearings look like they are going to be wrapping up soon.  Trump’s lawyers and Senate Republicans agree that there is no need to hear from witnesses because they already have enough proof that he is guilty of the things he is accused of.  However, that’s not going to be enough to have him removed from office, of course.

So the legacy of these impeachment proceedings will be a dark smudge on Trump’s reputation and display of the ineffectiveness of the legislative branch in checking the power of the executive branch.