Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

On 12/23/2019 at 12:31 PM, Hank said:

If you've been paying attention at all over the last few years you know I'm not a republican, not a huge fan of Trump, and think both sides are hypocrites and equally suck balls. 

Yes, a large percentage of his post's are some form of "the orange man is evil!!!!"  Yes, it does entertain me. 

You care, why?

I know you don't like either side. I agree, they are both hypocrites. 

Watching Cuomo on CNN saying people expected too much from the Mueller Report. Gee I wonder why people expected so much. I’m not defending Fox but in the words of Joe Biden, cmon man. Didn’t this guy once say it’s ok for reporters to see classified information but not average Americans? 

On 12/24/2019 at 1:15 AM, SABRES 0311 said:

Yes I can say in my own opinion the risk does not outweigh the gain for me specifically. As for bigotry how do you explain non white people who support him? 

So I outlined my specific reason why I still support him. I know one policy people don’t like are the tariffs against China. I do wonder if it is more than economics. I’d like to discuss that if you are open.

I can't explain why anyone likes him. The people who like him can explain it. I could hypothesize, and the hypothesis would focus on the bigotry being related to race and economic status. Every race has their own version of "<race> trash". 

I'm always open for discussion.  I don't support tariffs.  I'm not a fan of policies that are designed to make it harder for others to compete. More energy spent on keeping others down as opposed to making yourself better.

The American people let the Chinese goods into the country, they ate it up.  It's on them to fix it.

On 12/31/2019 at 2:13 PM, LTS said:

I can't explain why anyone likes him. The people who like him can explain it. I could hypothesize, and the hypothesis would focus on the bigotry being related to race and economic status. Every race has their own version of "<race> trash". 

I'm always open for discussion.  I don't support tariffs.  I'm not a fan of policies that are designed to make it harder for others to compete. More energy spent on keeping others down as opposed to making yourself better.

The American people let the Chinese goods into the country, they ate it up.  It's on them to fix it.

Part of me wonders if the betterment of the U.S. economy was a rouse for the tariffs. China is quickly increasing their sphere of influence mimicking the old Silk Road. This is both economic and military. I honestly wonder if the real goal is to hurt China’s economy in order to slow their military growth. I don't know why but it’s only a feeling. 

Things have been getting weird around the world and in my opinion we are creeping toward a flash point. I hope Trump sticks to the limited engagements and doesn’t get sucked down a rabbit hole. While I appreciate a pay raise and modernization, I’m worried the world is moving toward militarization like before WW1. 

16 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Part of me wonders if the betterment of the U.S. economy was a rouse for the tariffs. China is quickly increasing their sphere of influence mimicking the old Silk Road. This is both economic and military. I honestly wonder if the real goal is to hurt China’s economy in order to slow their military growth. I don't know why but it’s only a feeling. 

Things have been getting weird around the world and in my opinion we are creeping toward a flash point. I hope Trump sticks to the limited engagements and doesn’t get sucked down a rabbit hole. While I appreciate a pay raise and modernization, I’m worried the world is moving toward militarization like before WW1. 

I firmly agree that it was not for the betterment of the US economy.  The world, in general, has become more nationalistic. I think it's somewhat of a last stand effort against the youth who certainly are challenging the long held ideals by corporations and governments.

Probably a lot more I could go into.. but not at this time and not without more research and thought.

4 hours ago, LTS said:

I firmly agree that it was not for the betterment of the US economy.  The world, in general, has become more nationalistic. I think it's somewhat of a last stand effort against the youth who certainly are challenging the long held ideals by corporations and governments.

Probably a lot more I could go into.. but not at this time and not without more research and thought.

A really big chunk of my current angst is due to the unwillingness of the baby boomer generation to call it a career and let the world continue to evolve.  That generation is continuing to rule for themselves with no end in sight.  Gen X won’t even get a swing at the plate and at this rate neither will Gen Y.

15 hours ago, Weave said:

A really big chunk of my current angst is due to the unwillingness of the baby boomer generation to call it a career and let the world continue to evolve.  That generation is continuing to rule for themselves with no end in sight.  Gen X won’t even get a swing at the plate and at this rate neither will Gen Y.

Generation Y--the millennials--definitely will.  We won't.

And guess who started a war while we were asleep?

And there it is. Trump may have had loans with Deutsche Bank that were underwritten by Russia. It all is starting to make sense. It makes further sense why certain members of Congress are falling over to protect him. They took money too or were promised some if they supported Trump. Always follow the money. It will be interesting to see this fact checked and what other info comes to light in the next few months. Trump trying to block congress looking at these bank records adds fuel to this fire. The Supreme Court will now get to decide if they see the light of day. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/1/2020 at 7:23 PM, SABRES 0311 said:

The problem with this line of thinking is, trade is not a zero sum game.  There aren't winners and losers.  The Cato Institute had an interesting take on Trumps trade policies.

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/trumps-trade-wars-are-incoherent-angry-misguided

Regarding the idea of slowing down China's growth, that has the potential to seriously backfire.  They've renegotiated with other countries to make up for what we've done.  That means some other country is benefiting.  What was to our benefit is now to someone else's, and China keeps truckin'.

In any case, while it might be true that the US would be less weakened than other countries by a trade war — after all, the US economy depends less on trade than almost every other country: imports plus exports account for 27 percent of US gross domestic product compared to a world average of 53 percent — the damage to the US economy would be considerable nonetheless. Cavalierly inviting a trade war because US “casualties” would be lighter than, for example, China’s or Europe’s, betrays a worrying absence of understanding of how trade and the global economy really work.

Most global trade is in intermediate goods — the purchases of producers, who have decentralized and diversified their operations to improve efficiencies, reduce costs and compete more effectively. Whereas in the 20th century, most of a company’s production and assembly took place in one location, often under one roof, the factory floor has since broken through those walls and now spans borders and oceans. Taxing imports today is akin to erecting a wall through the center of that 20th century assembly line, impeding production and raising costs in similar fashion. That helps explain the preponderance of opposition among US manufacturers to Trump’s trade tack. US tariffs raise their costs, and the resulting retaliation from foreign governments will reduce their export revenues, squeezing profits from both ends.

Regarding your second point, very prescient to write that on New Years day.  Here we are 5 days later and we're looking down a rabbit hole in Iran and wondering what's down there.....

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

The problem with this line of thinking is, trade is not a zero sum game.  There aren't winners and losers.  The Cato Institute had an interesting take on Trumps trade policies.

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/trumps-trade-wars-are-incoherent-angry-misguided

Regarding the idea of slowing down China's growth, that has the potential to seriously backfire.  They've renegotiated with other countries to make up for what we've done.  That means some other country is benefiting.  What was to our benefit is now to someone else's, and China keeps truckin'.

Regarding your second point, very prescient to write that on New Years day.  Here we are 5 days later and we're looking down a rabbit hole in Iran and wondering what's down there.....

I agree the tariffs may backfire regardless of the goals. While they may slow China’s military growth/expanse, they have the potential to drive China into the arms of competitors. I wouldn’t be surprised if the tariffs play a part in the lack of recent action on NK. As NK’s number one ally, U.S. relations with China will determine NK’s cooperation. If we are friends with China they can provide a positive influence to our benefit. 

China is also calling for calm after our Iranian strike. While likely not as influential compared to NK, China could provide back channel mediation. In return for not becoming a war time president, Trump may provide continued easing of the tariffs. 

Well, the Trump trade policies just hit me in a very personal way.  My employers business had been very highly affected by the trade wars with China and Mexico in particular.  And we are heavily in the automotive industry, who has been also greatly affected by the China and Mexico tariffs.

My employer is shuttering my facility starting in April due to the excess capacity we now have due to the now 2 year old slow down and projections of another down year + through this year.

And the irony is that in a cost cutting move we are relocating manufacturing overseas to our other locations with now excess capacity .

This guy has idea what damage he is doing to satisfy his ego and “win” a trade war.

Edited by Weave

23 hours ago, Weave said:

Well, the Trump trade policies just hit me in a very personal way.  My employers business had been very highly affected by the trade wars with China and Mexico in particular.  And we are heavily in the automotive industry, who has been also greatly affected by the China and Mexico tariffs.

My employer is shuttering my facility starting in April due to the excess capacity we now have due to the now 2 year old slow down and projections of another down year + through this year.

And the irony is that in a cost cutting move we are relocating manufacturing overseas to our other locations with now excess capacity .

This guy has idea what damage he is doing to satisfy his ego and “win” a trade war.

This sucks.

Of course this is what was going to happen.  The concept that you slap a tariff on something and that manufacturing in the US suddenly takes off is ludicrous. Economics are complex beasts not resolved by tariffs and certainly not tariffs aimed at a country that is largely responsible for the manufacture of so many crucial components throughout the world.

We're on a world stage now... we need to act like it.  We're not the sole economic power or military power.  We just happen to be the society that keeps buying more than it should, so for not, countries are happy to sell to us.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Trump's council for this trial had their opening statements. They were basically several minutes of complete bs with some table pounding. When he gets acquitted, it will be very clear how broken and destroyed our Democracy is. 

53-47.

It's all you need to know.  And yes.. it's all complete BS, but people in this country have been eating up made up news and information for decades.  National Enquirer anyone?

We're doomed, but it's cool, no one believes it because people on the TV tell you otherwise.

4 hours ago, LTS said:

National Enquirer anyone?

NE was always a joke to everyone I knew and then Facebook came into being and all those same people lost their minds over silly ***** just like their parents did with the NE...