Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Personally, I think this is bonkers.  Exploiting the office of POTUS in order to attempt to perpetuate your own hold on power, as opposed to acting in the interests of your country is a very big deal.  It should be completely unacceptable, but who knows, maybe I’m out to lunch on what public at large is accepting of.

I think what the public at large accepts is one thing.  What the public at large finds time to care about and tacitly accepts is something else.

Sadly, when it comes to politics, I think the latter is the most common scenario.

10 hours ago, Curt said:

Personally, I think this is bonkers.  Exploiting the office of POTUS in order to attempt to perpetuate your own hold on power, as opposed to acting in the interests of your country is a very big deal.  It should be completely unacceptable, but who knows, maybe I’m out to lunch on what public at large is accepting of.

Sounded like a Conservative talk radio talking point to attempt to dismiss how illegal and completely corrupt Trump is. 

8 hours ago, LTS said:

I think what the public at large accepts is one thing.  What the public at large finds time to care about and tacitly accepts is something else.

Sadly, when it comes to politics, I think the latter is the most common scenario.

Yup. 

Edited by LGR4GM

The House Judiciary has been officially asked to draw up articles of impeachment. Trump won't get removed from office but this is about to get uglier. Prepare for a political Civil War to take place in the Senate. 

Edited by LGR4GM
clarity

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The House Judiciary has been officially asked to draw up articles of impeachment. Trump won't get removed from office but this is about to get uglier. Prepare for a political Civil War to take place in the Senate. 

I think political Civil War is making it sound way more dramatic than it will be. McConnell knows the Democrats won't have the votes and he'll push it to a vote relatively quickly once it gets to the Senate. I also predict not one Republican will vote for removal and several of the more vulnerable (Red and Purple state) Democrats will vote to keep Trump once it's official that they won't have votes to remove him anyway. It's somewhat of a dog and pony show in the House but I think it will be extremely short lived in the Senate and then we'll be back to business as usual.

Democrats were kind of in a no-win situation. Don't impeach him and you look weak, impeach him with no real shot at removal and you look impotent. Not exactly a recipe for success.

2 hours ago, Drunkard said:

I think political Civil War is making it sound way more dramatic than it will be. McConnell knows the Democrats won't have the votes and he'll push it to a vote relatively quickly once it gets to the Senate. I also predict not one Republican will vote for removal and several of the more vulnerable (Red and Purple state) Democrats will vote to keep Trump once it's official that they won't have votes to remove him anyway. It's somewhat of a dog and pony show in the House but I think it will be extremely short lived in the Senate and then we'll be back to business as usual.

Democrats were kind of in a no-win situation. Don't impeach him and you look weak, impeach him with no real shot at removal and you look impotent. Not exactly a recipe for success.

So the President lying/cheating and being the laughing stock of the world. Sounds fun. 333 days until the next election. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So the President lying/cheating and being the laughing stock of the world. Sounds fun. 333 days until the next election. 

Yep. Business as usual. At this point I think Trump still has at least even odds at winning re-election as well.

I disagree with most of the Republican platform, but they are definitely better at winning elections and the Democrats have a fine line to walk between trying to broaden their appeal by angling to appeal to moderates while losing enthusiasm from the far left and going too far left to increase enthusiasm from liberals and alienating the moderates. The GOP is more consistent and most of their base (evangelicals, gun enthusiasts, pro military spending, the wealthy, and tax cuts above everything else people) will vote for him regardless of anything else.

I wonder: have these Trump opponents even considered what this impeachment signals to the American people?

That partisanship is more important than policymaking?

Scott Jennings said this in his article. That is pretty hypocritical coming from someone who worked for and with Mitch McConnell. A man who literally refused to appoint judges or vote on House passed bills because of partisanship. 

One more thing while I think parts of the article were smart like how Trump is the anti-elite to his base the constant lie that this is about undoing the 2016 election needs to end. Most Americans were very content to wait until the next election. I know I was. But we have a pattern of self serving behavior from a man who is very clearly a narcissist. Also, Mike Pence would be president if Trump were removed in all likelihood so the election wouldn't even truly be undone. It is just a fake talking point for most people. Maybe it is about undoing it for Democrats but I think that is a simple answer for a more complicated issue. 

Edited by LGR4GM

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, drnkirishone said:

That is a Republican specialty. Taking a simple narrow answer for a complicated issue and jamming it down everyone's throat.

It is why they win so many elections. They are the masters of the soundbyte answer

I agree. They all seem to get the same memo with the identical 2 or 3 bullet points and they all parrot the same responses to the media when they make the rounds on the news and political shows. This keeps their argument consistent and coherent to everyone in their camp and voters here the same thing over and over they start to assume its true even when it isn't.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Drunkard said:

I agree. They all seem to get the same memo with the identical 2 or 3 bullet points and they all parrot the same responses to the media when they make the rounds on the news and political shows. This keeps their argument consistent and coherent to everyone in their camp and voters here the same thing over and over they start to assume its true even when it isn't.

I believe the term is dittohead. And it's been a thing for 30 years. Most likely longer.

• Like (+1) 1

Ummm, is it me or does this seem... off/odd. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/10/us/politics/trump-antisemitism-executive-order.html?smid=tw-nytpolitics&smtyp=cur

The order will effectively interpret Judaism as a race or nationality, not just a religion, to prompt a federal law penalizing colleges and universities deemed to be shirking their responsibility to foster an open climate for minority students. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Looks like it's just more red meat for the base. Trump is trying to stick it to the "squad" and their supporters for their pro-Palestinian stance or anyone who may question the unlimited support for Israel. That's just my guess though. I only skimmed the article.

So I’ve sat back and watched the impeachment process trying to keep an open mind. Then I thought back to the scandals of the previous administration and continued to the one before it. There have been quite a few issues with accountability from the last three administrations. One thing I think we should look at is imposing stronger penalties on those elected/appointed to the three branches. 

1. Double prison for felonies.

2. Any refusal to comply with a subpoena equals a criminal trial.

3. Inability to take the fifth. I’ll keep this post short but if anyone wants to hear my train of thought let me know.

I think you have hit on a major issue in American politics. Trump is the final symptom but he isn't the disease. Bush and Obama had questionable dealings or issues in their terms as well. I think where Trump failed is the same place Caesar failed. When you are openly and blatantly flaunting of laws and norms that's where you get to where the US is now. Versus Caesar's adopted son Augustas/Octavious who was more subtle about wielding his power. 

I think the other issue at play is that at least there was some pretext of doing things to help the country at large. Trump just cares about Trump.

Edited by LGR4GM

I have never been a fan of Junior. He made or had decisions made that went against American ideals.

Obama also made decisions that I did not agree with.

Even so, I do not doubt that they both came into public service wanting to do good and representing others.

Trumpfh has always and will always care only about serving himself and his self-interest. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

I have never been a fan of Junior. He made or had decisions made that went against American ideals.

Obama also made decisions that I did not agree with.

Even so, I do not doubt that they both came into public service wanting to do good and representing others.

Trumpfh has always and will always care only about serving himself and his self-interest. 

I think that's hitting the nail on the head. 

Also Mitch McConnell just said that he will coordinate with White House Council for the trial. Did the Dem leadership do that for Clinton? 

A real conservative voice regarding the impeachment proceedings....

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/the-case-for-impeachment-is-overwhelming/

The central question at the heart of this matter has always been whether we will tolerate the president corruptly using the powers of his office for personal benefit. The president’s defenders have answered loudly that they will tolerate corruption of the presidency. If we have any respect left for the Constitution and the rule of law, it is imperative that the president is not allowed to escape without facing serious consequences for his abuses. This is important not only to hold the current president in check, but it is also necessary to warn future presidents that such corruption will not be permitted to flourish. 

Members of the House have been given a simple test of their fidelity to the Constitution. Are they enablers of presidential abuse of power and corruption, or will they do what their oaths of office require of them and hold a corrupt president in check?

As the two charges have been voted out of committee, I would expect all or nearly all Republican members of the House to vote against them for impeachment. I would then expect enough Dems to impeach him. 

Sadly Mitch McConnell has already guaranteed that the Senate trial will be a sham and that he is coordinating with the White House. The answer to the above question is simple. The Republicans will allow a Republican President to do whatever he wants so long as they continue to benefit with judge appointments and through cuts that help their bank accounts grow. The Senate Republicans will not hold a corrupt Republican President in check. 

On 12/13/2019 at 1:15 PM, Hank said:

Yes, the Senate trial will be a sham, just like the house trial was a sham, just like this whole impeachment was a sham. I fear this will bite Dems in the ass come election time. 

The House trial would have been less of a sham if officials were forced to follow congressional subpoenas as opposed to the, obstruction I suppose is the best word or the easiest, that occurred with key witnesses like ... every White House official. I think if you ignore a congressional subpoenas it should equal fines and jail time no ifs ands or buts. 

Idk if it will bite Dems. I think what will bite dems is the pie in the sky ideas for radical change that some espouse. Sure I want us to move towards a greener energy system but you can't just do that. It takes time and voters at heart care more about the roads they drive on than the fuel in their cars. The Dems should have a simple platform that hammers the tax cuts to the rich and ties it to infrastructure and education. Instead they will toss everything but the kitchen sink into the pile and then wonder why voters have a hard time finding a compelling narrative to energize them. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

The House trial would have been less of a sham if officials were forced to follow congressional subpoenas as opposed to the, obstruction I suppose is the best word or the easiest, that occurred with key witnesses like ... every White House official. I think if you ignore a congressional subpoenas it should equal fines and jail time no ifs ands or buts. 

Idk if it will bite Dems. I think what will bite dems is the pie in the sky ideas for radical change that some espouse. Sure I want us to move towards a greener energy system but you can't just do that. It takes time and voters at heart care more about the roads they drive on than the fuel in their cars. The Dems should have a simple platform that hammers the tax cuts to the rich and ties it to infrastructure and education. Instead they will toss everything but the kitchen sink into the pile and then wonder why voters have a hard time finding a compelling narrative to energize them. 

Well said. 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:57 PM, drnkirishone said:

Perfect call. Now let's work on that 2024 third term

Don Junior - 2024. Let's Keep America Great and finish that wall!

I hate that guy and I might vote for him just to watch the world burn. The Democrats will run someone who wants the government to fund gender reassignment surgeries for prison inmates and then that himbo will actually look like the reasonable candidate.

• Haha (+1) 1