Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I'm not sure I agree that that you don't agree with Trump. But bringing up Obama or Hillary is irrelevant and pointless to the discussion.

And Obama was not bad. He may be the best president in my lifetime. He pulled us out of that dumbass Bush's economic downturn that was only bested by THE GREAT DEPRESSION. People were getting thrown out of their houses. It was bad.

And for all the grousing about government overreaching and the dreaded regulations, all we saw under him was record corporate profits and continued economic growth (as well as more people moving to Mexico that from it).

Trump is poison. He spews more lies and than any president before him. The wall is about hate and racism. nothing more. The country will be better when he is gone.

You could be totally right or not. You probably dislike Trump as much as I do Obama and the Clintons. Good luck to you in the next election.

To a personal matter way to go passive aggressive where you doubt I don’t totally agree with Trump just because I don’t totally agree with you. And thanks for letting me know what is acceptable speech for the discussion. All is good on the Internet. Not so much in real life.

13 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

You could be totally right or not. You probably dislike Trump as much as I do Obama and the Clintons. Good luck to you in the next election.

To a personal matter way to go passive aggressive where you doubt I don’t totally agree with Trump just because I don’t totally agree with you. And thanks for letting me know what is acceptable speech for the discussion. All is good on the Internet. Not so much in real life.

Pretty sure I never mentioned what is acceptable or not. Not sure where that is coming from.

I know that in a thread about Trump, you brought up Obama and HRC. Red herring. 

And I really don’t care if you agree with me or not. It’s still a free country after all.

• Like (+1) 1

More time for what? He's holding 800k people hostage to get a wall built that according to a recent news article was originally just a talking points to keep Trump on message that he has now come to believe is needed. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/05/us/politics/donald-trump-border-wall.html He's so stupid that he can't stay on message so they came up with this. Now we are all paying for it. Let's take the 3.5 billion we aren't spending on the wall and spend it on infastructure in the rest of the country. How's the water doing in Flint Michigan? What about our highways or telecoms? Way better ways to spend that money but sadly, Trump is a fool. I mean that in the literal sense. He is a fool.

Trump is a terrible president. He has no morality at all. He lies for sport. He's not intellectually smart. His business dealings are so dirty that there are multiple lawsuits against him. The stock market is going down and it is past a market correction from my understanding. The big fancy tax cut that Trump and the conservatives passed resulted in what? According to economists before it was passed, it would result in stock buybacks by companies with very little improvement in worker salaries or jobs. Low and behold that is exactly what happened. Meanwhile the Deficit is sky rocketing because you can't cut taxes 15% but cut spending 0%. Something has to give and the thing that most likely will happen is that 99% of Americans will see tax increases in other areas and a decline in services. 

Further, Trump's stance in foreign affairs is so laughable that the US congress had to condemn a foreign state for murdering a US resident because Trump and his family are in bed with that government and didn't want to criticize them. He's morally bankrupt and only cares about his ego. He demonstrates that daily. 

Hillary isn't President and I DONT CARE. I hate when she comes up because NO ONE CARES. She didn't win the electoral college, no one cares. She is irrelevant to any discussion about Trump. 

I would step in to say.

Arguing Hilary's qualifications should not be done while arguing Trump's.  We objectively have no idea how she would have been as President and it doesn't matter at this point when debating how Trump is doing.

You can feel that Obama was horrible, but that's not pertinent to Trump other than potentially discussing comparisons on how they handled similar situations. If Obama was a bad President it doesn't make Trump a good one.  

They could all be horrible.  They might all just be politicians in a system that makes them all be horrible because that's what is rewarded.

Between Trump's direction federally and NYS's direction I am just prepping myself to be as mobile as possible.  Lots of bad combinations resulting in economical situations that are not aligned with my life.

I've literally stopped reading or paying attention to the federal government. I've been pushed past the point that I can tolerate. The wins by Democrats virtually assured us of one of the most contentious times in US history as it pertains to governmental operations. I had little faith in the first two years, I have next to none in the next two. It's off to a whiz bang start already.

I'm not blaming Democrats here, I am blaming everyone. You have a blowhard in the Oval Office who forces others to play by similar hardball rules and we're seeing what happens when no one wants to give up anything in exchange for moving forward. 

54 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh goody, we get a nationally televised liathon from Trump tonight. #AintWatchingThtSht

I hate giving Trump credit for something, but he was right about "the media", just not in the way he thinks. "The media" has never been out to get him, they love him. They swept him right into the White House. We all hoped they would learn their lesson, but "the media" are feckless ambulance chasers, tripping over themselves to make sure Trump has the utmost control over the national discourse.

2020 is going to be a mess with every media outlet doing Trump's PR for him. 

On 1/8/2019 at 10:28 AM, darksabre said:

I hate giving Trump credit for something, but he was right about "the media", just not in the way he thinks. "The media" has never been out to get him, they love him. They swept him right into the White House. We all hoped they would learn their lesson, but "the media" are feckless ambulance chasers, tripping over themselves to make sure Trump has the utmost control over the national discourse.

In the same way that murders and crime always leads in a local news story - the political battles and "he said/she said" stories are GOLD for the political news media. They no longer have to generate talking points or content on slow news days, because every day is a new scandal or shocking tweet. They just need to react to whatever is tweeted/said and then put their network bias spin on it.

What does concern me greatly is the proliferation of blatant lies/scare tactics that are coming from our highest office. It's becoming less about the quality/accuracy of the content our politicians say, and more about what message they are trying to sell. What scares me is the trend towards similar messaging that came from the early rise to power of historical dictators - strong nationalism messages based on fear and xenophobia.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Now the President is threatening to take FEMA funding from California because he is mad at Nancy Pelosi. 

I wonder if he even knows that there are three equal branches of the government.

I'm serious.

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Now the President is threatening to take FEMA funding from California because he is mad at Nancy Pelosi. 

Luckily there's not a TON he can do about that just yet other than bloviate and cause a fight because... that's what he does, since he clearly doesn't actually know how laws are enacted or how bureaucracy functions. He can slow it down, but money has already been allocated because of the Stafford Act and will continue to flow for awhile. Once you declare an emergency, you cannot un-declare it- the act follows through with allocated funding until depleted or no longer necessary. But he can screw things up down the line assuming nothing checks his actions. Should all the folks still living in shelters and cars need more (which yes, they probably will), it won't be there.  

and oh.. it's hardly "billions" of dollars. I believe it's more around 50 million. 

sort of unrelated, but I wonder how Puerto Rico is doing, since they're American and all... 43 billion estimate I think, in damage. Plus a population dive as people leave. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Part of me thinks that he is using this to try to distract people with a different story to stop people from focusing on the shutdown/wall

38 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I wonder if he even knows that there are three equal branches of the government.

I'm serious.

The other part of me worries about this.

19 minutes ago, darksabre said:

You're implying that he even understands the concept of government. He thinks he's a king.

Yep. History always repeats itself, and Trump is using a lot of the same tactics that previous dictators used to gain power and foster group think.

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

I'm serious.

Are there anymore?  The Supreme Court is built to suppor tthe will of the right.  The right portion of Congress is dominated by the Freedom Caucus who is only interested in a hard line agenda that the Supreme Court is built to sway towards.  And the President has the full support of the Freedom Caucus.

There has been a noticeable consolidation of power.  It's even happening on the state level where incoming governors of the wrong party are being hogtied by legislative changes  that reduce their authority moments before they take office.

We're in the midst of a takeover.  Book it.

19 hours ago, SwampD said:

I'm serious.

14 hours ago, Weave said:

Are there anymore?  The Supreme Court is built to suppor tthe will of the right.  The right portion of Congress is dominated by the Freedom Caucus who is only interested in a hard line agenda that the Supreme Court is built to sway towards.  And the President has the full support of the Freedom Caucus.

There has been a noticeable consolidation of power.  It's even happening on the state level where incoming governors of the wrong party are being hogtied by legislative changes  that reduce their authority moments before they take office.

We're in the midst of a takeover.  Book it.

Weave beat me to it. The growth in the use of the presidential order and many other factors tell me that we don't have 3 equal branches anymore.

It may be possible for the three branches to maintain checks and balances as we were taught in grade school, but I don't think it really happens anymore.

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

Weave beat me to it. The growth in the use of the presidential order and many other factors tell me that we don't have 3 equal branches anymore.

It may be possible for the three branches to maintain checks and balances as we were taught in grade school, but I don't think it really happens anymore.

That's because "checks and balances" has become characterized as a flaw rather than a feature in these times of hyper-partisanship.

Both parties are guilty of weakening the system.

So are the American people for failing to elect functional congresses and forcing shifts of power to the executive and judicial.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:28 AM, darksabre said:

Absolutely.  I remember bringing this up in the old politics thread.  No candidate in history has ever received the free PR he got.  He ought to be kissing CNN's feet, not criticizing them.

14 hours ago, Eleven said:

Absolutely.  I remember bringing this up in the old politics thread.  No candidate in history has ever received the free PR he got.  He ought to be kissing CNN's feet, not criticizing them.

They’re too busy kissing his feet for all the eyeballs.  “Liberal media”. ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

They’re too busy kissing his feet for all the eyeballs.  “Liberal media”. ?

It's really hilarious isn't it? How many "liberal media" outlets are owned by conservatives? Most of them it would seem.

I'm a pretty liberal guy most of the time, and I would argue that most "liberal media" is (at best) neoliberal, which is to say: not very liberal at all.

I basically only read The Daily Beast (which tries to be "fair and balanced" by offering some conservative opinion pieces). I like former DB EIC John Avlon and his wife Margaret Hoover (yes, the great-granddaughter of the President).

I'm also a big fan of Charles Pierce who writes for Esquire. He's a big sports and music guy too.

But yeah. "Liberal media"? Okay.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Op-Ed in the NYT today about whether the media will be Trump's "accomplice" again in 2020.  They must be reading our board.

The NYT having happily abetted the takedown of Hillary Clinton in 2016; and currently (and rather gleefully, along with literally the entirety of the establishment media) both-sidesing Trump's nonsense.  It's an absolute ouroborus.

23 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

The NYT having happily abetted the takedown of Hillary Clinton in 2016; and currently (and rather gleefully, along with literally the entirety of the establishment media) both-sidesing Trump's nonsense.  It's an absolute ouroborus.

IMO, the NYT does a very good job just reporting.  I know it's perceived as liberal because of topic selection sometimes, but it was pretty critical of Bill Clinton back in the 90s.  WSJ too.  

Trump is the ultimate story.  Media can't simply ignore him.  But they don't need to dwell on him like CNN did, unless, of course, it's his marketing arm, Fox News which initially was dead against him, yet still gave him the bulk of coverage, before the primaries).

Also, thank you for the work "ouroborus."  I love learning new words!