Captaincy

Billssabres33

17 minutes ago, Billssabres33 said:

In a lot of discussions about player movement I've heard the captaincy being used as a bargaining chip.  I always thought that was something the locker room should decide.  Do players not have as much interest in who their captain is?

Welcome!!

I feel that it should be a player voted thing.  The players know best who they will follow the example of.  Problem is that the current Sabre roster I am not sure if there is a player that the others will follow.

14 minutes ago, Billssabres33 said:

In a lot of discussions about player movement I've heard the captaincy being used as a bargaining chip.  I always thought that was something the locker room should decide.  Do players not have as much interest in who their captain is?

Welcome to the board.

Do you mean the role of captain is being offered to potential free agents or that it’s being offered to existing players in contract negotiations?  Perhaps it’s both.  It would not surprise me if it’s discussed in certain situations.

I’m not so sure the player vote thing is as prevalent as I remember it was in my youth.

I think the players care who their captain is.  

Lets say the players voted and it was 13 votes for player A - 6 votes for player B - and 1 vote for player C.  So they add up the votes and go with player A.  What do the players that voted for player B and C do?  So it's probably just as accepted/respected if the coaches observe and make the pick.

I think the deal is this:  The head coach generally picks the captain.  He can use whatever inputs he wants:  Observing who the players listen to in the locker room, who the coach thinks will move the team in the desired direction, and.... if he wants, a vote from the players. 

To me, the vote of the players is probably the least desirable option.  There's the concern 7+6 raised above.  There's the chance that the most popular guy wouldn't make a good captain.  And if that happened, there's the chance that the coach could lose some of the players in the room when he has to make a change to a captain picked by the players. 

The only time I could see a coach using the "let the players pick the C" would be a coach who really didn't have a clue about who the captain should be (which implies a lousy or at least disinterested coach) or when the coach knew who he wanted to select and was confident the players would choose the same person, and letting the players name the captain was used by the coach to get the team's buy-in.

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think the deal is this:  The head coach generally picks the captain.  He can use whatever inputs he wants:  Observing who the players listen to in the locker room, who the coach thinks will move the team in the desired direction, and.... if he wants, a vote from the players. 

To me, the vote of the players is probably the least desirable option.  There's the concern 7+6 raised above.  There's the chance that the most popular guy wouldn't make a good captain.  And if that happened, there's the chance that the coach could lose some of the players in the room when he has to make a change to a captain picked by the players. 

The only time I could see a coach using the "let the players pick the C" would be a coach who really didn't have a clue about who the captain should be (which implies a lousy or at least disinterested coach) or when the coach knew who he wanted to select and was confident the players would choose the same person, and letting the players name the captain was used by the coach to get the team's buy-in.

Nice post and I agree.

THank you for the welcome.  I am hoping that with the improvement in “culture” that this is something that can be turned back over to the players.  I think most players are looking for genuine leadership.  If a coach is picking, I’m not sure how genuine or, maybe a better word authentic.  

15 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

I think the players care who their captain is.  

Lets say the players voted and it was 13 votes for player A - 6 votes for player B - and 1 vote for player C.  So they add up the votes and go with player A.  What do the players that voted for player B and C do?  So it's probably just as accepted/respected if the coaches observe and make the pick.

Easy. Players B & C become the alternates. 

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

There's an infinite amount of numbers between those two. Way to go out on a limb John.

:lol:

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

^ This is why conservatives don't like academics....

Speak for yourself.  That was hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a picture of Eichel with Hillary Knight. I don't know the source but the #9 jersey Eichel had on, had an A stitched to the front. Probably because no decision has been made yet so Eichel is just still an Assistant Captain but I found it interesting. 

Assistant.PNG

Edited by LGR4GM

I can't imagine anyone else getting the C besides Jack. If he doesn't that just saying the organization doesn't have faith in the guy or they're waiting on Dahlin although there are 7 teams including the Sabres who haven't named one. I'm guessing they're waiting on September to announce it or just before the season starts. It would also make him currently the 2nd youngest captain in the league

22 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

There was a picture of Eichel with Hillary Knight. I don't know the source but the #9 jersey Eichel had on, had an A stitched to the front. Probably because no decision has been made yet so Eichel is just still an Assistant Captain but I found it interesting. 

ALTERNATE

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.