All or nothing?

Swordsman

Not knowing what to believe these days with all of the rhetoric and posturing going on between the NHL and NHLPA - some say that the season is gone but the NHL won't ever publicly cancel it because they want to use the impasse to go to labor agencies with, while others say a season is still possible in the 24-30 game duration.

At this point, I wish they would just call it off and stop the tease. An abbreviated campaign of 20-30 games makes no sense - any team can get on a hot streak in that span and win the sprint that the playoffs will become. Even if the Sabres were one of those to do so, their success would only be buried in asterisks and qualifiers. I recall when I was living in the NY/NJ area in 95', when the Devils won the Cup after the shortened 48 game season - no one wanted to give them much credit. The Rangers' failure to defend wasn't a big deal because of the wierd way the season was patched together. It wasn't until the Devils did it again in 2000 that their 95' win was given more substance. The regular season may be really long to some fans but it also usually lets the best teams (on the ice, not necessarily on paper) rise to the top, through all of the streaks and injuries that occur.

Sabres' fans can look at a subtle bright side to this whole depressing mess however - the amazing season that the Amerks are putting together is a special and memorable treat in the making. Follow the AHL and try to enjoy it, remembering that it only bodes optimism when you see future Sabres like Roy, Vanek and Miller excelling and growing in maturity and experience. There are holes on the Sabres' roster that we all lament and are aware of - these up and coming talents will surely improve the roster whenever the NHL gets its act together and resumes play.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Im following the Amerks too. i suggest everyone else does and gets fired up about them as much as possible because im sure they'd like to see us out there cheering for them just like we do for the Sabres... im contemplating coming down from Burlington to see a game in rochester so far ive only been able to see them play against hamilton... if i can do it then im sure alot of you can.

GO AMERKS

Would love to see them, but living in Las Vegas makes it tough. Gonna check out the All Star Game though.

The Sabres are putting together a nice core of group players with Vanek, Pomenville, Miller, and Roy ready to step up and produce. Its a damn shame we don't know when it'll start.

Go Amerks!

Archived