Quality of MLS soccer

Eleven

What is the quality of MLS, using the English League System as a guide?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What is the quality of MLS, using the English League System as a guide?

• Equal to Premier League
    • Somewhere between Premier League and Championship
    • Equal to Championship
    • Somewhere between Championship and League One
    • Equal to or below League One

22 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Watching some of the USMNT-Panama game last night, and seeing a US team populated with what I presume were MLS players ... and, yeah. The league's just not up to snuff when compared with the major top flights in Europe.

I'd be more okay with that, if there were more freedom for US prospects to train in Europe from a young age and if the USMNT program encouraged its best players to play in Europe. As to the latter, I think Klinsmann as an advocate of that, but I think the tide has turned with the appointments of US-born managers.

Klinsmann got hammered for trying to bring in as many Euro kids eligible for US passports as he could.  Honestly, it was more a comment on the state of US soccer than anything.  Until the USSF starts actually trying to grow the game properly and it stops being the reserve of the upper middle class not much is going to change/improve.  

Due to the weird work permit rules in Europe, it's hard for kids from here to make the jump up there.  Your Pulisic's and others with Euro passports will always go because they can.  Everybody else not so much, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

Klinsmann got hammered for trying to bring in as many Euro kids eligible for US passports as he could.  Honestly, it was more a comment on the state of US soccer than anything.  Until the USSF starts actually trying to grow the game properly and it stops being the reserve of the upper middle class not much is going to change/improve.  

Due to the weird work permit rules in Europe, it's hard for kids from here to make the jump up there.  Your Pulisic's and others with Euro passports will always go because they can.  Everybody else not so much, unfortunately. 

Ahh, yes - that's what I recall.

I also seem to recall there being tension because Klinsmann didn't want, say, a Michael Bradley playing for an MLS club.

And, yes, the pay to play model is madness. Not only is it an obstacle to getting more quality players into the game, it is also, IMO, a hugely flawed model because it tends to prioritize the business interests of academies over player development. There is a national academy program with a significant presence in WNY. I've watched their teams for several years now. IMO, they do a poor job of developing their players, but a good job of extracting money from well-to-do parents.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2019 at 8:37 AM, Eleven said:

Watched a little of LA v LA yesterday.  The quality is just so bad.

Currently watching NYC v Houston.  In order to shoehorn a pitch into Yankee Stadium, it has to be so laughably narrow the cameras are having trouble keeping both touch lines out of any wide shot.  Bonus points: the sod seemingly slapped down over the infield dirt which looks not at all safe... 

if I may paraphrase Wayne Gretzky: Mickey Mouse League.  

15 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Currently watching NYC v Houston.  In order to shoehorn a pitch into Yankee Stadium, it has to be so laughably narrow the cameras are having trouble keeping both touch lines out of any wide shot.  Bonus points: the sod seemingly slapped down over the infield dirt which looks not at all safe... 

if I may paraphrase Wayne Gretzky: Mickey Mouse League.  

Who in the world decided that Yankee Stadium is a good place to have a soccer game?!

And weren't some European players hurt in North American friendly tours because the sod was slapped down?

Edited by Eleven

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen this mentioned here, but we might be getting a USL team in Buffalo:

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/local/professional-soccer-team-could-be-heading-to-buffalo/71-1c73b33b-c1de-4765-81f9-858eed1a34b7

Thats one division below the MLS. Its where the Rochester Rhinos play (played? will play?). use to play, when they come back they'll be one division lower.

Edited by sabills