Topic Tags: Useless or better implementation?

SDS

1st, let me say, like Zack Kassian, I'm a fan of the concept of topic tags. However, unless they are used consistently - they are fairly useless. 

The big benefit when used properly, is that when you click on a tag - all topics with that tag are shown.

My options are:

1. Get rid of them completely
2. Force at least one tag per topic (topic starter choice)
3. Force topic starter to choose from a list of predefined tags (this would make the best use of tags)
4. Allow choice of predetermined tags, but don't force every topic to have one.
5. Keep as is

Capture.PNG

• SDS changed the title to Topic Tags: Useless or better implementation?
7 minutes ago, SDS said:

1st, let me say, like Zack Kassian, I'm a fan of the concept of topic tags. However, unless they are used consistently - they are fairly useless. 

My options are:

1. Get rid of them completely
2. Force at least one tag per topic (topic starter choice)
3. Force topic starter to choose from a list of predefined tags (this would make the best use of tags
4. Keep as is

Capture.PNG

I'd say the Topic Tags are necessary, but only really needed to define "GDT" or "Off Topic" threads. I don't mind the other two predetermined ones you have in your image, but agree with the way they appear with the new upgrade doesn't make sense to be a free form field anymore.

1 minute ago, Samson's Flow said:

I'd say the Topic Tags are necessary, but only really needed to define "GDT" or "Off Topic" threads. I don't mind the other two predetermined ones you have in your image, but agree with the way they appear with the new upgrade doesn't make sense to be a free form field anymore.

I should state that those tags in the image are just examples. I added your scenario to my post.

Just now, Taro T said:

Have almost never used them & don't look for them to influence whether to read a thread or not.  So, my preference would be choice 1 or 4.

The old search function was easy enough to use, that the tags seemed superfluous.

I changed 4 and 5. The old 4 or the new 4? :)

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

I should state that those tags in the image are just examples. I added your scenario to my post.

I meant more that the tag function is probably meant to group similar style threads for search. As such, having a set list to choose from will prevent duplicates from typos and will allow the tags to function as intended and not like a teen's twitter hashtags...

I like option 4.

Related: I wish you could take the tag utilization topic over to The Stadium Wall. Tag use there is a hot mess. The majority of posters there use tags like a subtitle, not as tag in an organized information system.

3 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

yeh not what I was thinking.  Maybe just two or three tag limit and choices should be standard or prescribed, guess that was what I thought you were suggesting

idk what standard or prescribed means

Do we generate enough topics around here for the tags to be all that useful?  I can't remember a time where I need to look beyond 5-10 threads or so to find what I'm looking for.

I think it is to be able to see the historical discussion on the topic. People may not know what to look for... But maybe you are right. IDK.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.