Sabres inspired Fly Fishing Fly

Ottosmagic13

Don't know if anyone else here fly fishes or ties their own flies. 

Some combination of the heat, these gin and tonics, and the lack of hockey that's making me crazy but I decided to whip up some Buffalo Sabres inspired Copper Prince nymphs. 

I give you the Blue and Gold Dahlin: 

There's some green peacock SLF in there because every Sabres fan knows "Blue and Gold make green."

The brown hackle... our performance last season ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

20180705_154111.jpg

20180705_154056.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

• SDS changed the title to Sabres inspired Fly Fishing Fly
1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I really hope that's a top water fly, and doesn't just sink right down to the bottom feeders.

Copper, lead, tungsten and locker room chemistry it’s destined for the deepest pool. 

28 minutes ago, Weave said:

Join us in the Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club thread.  Lots of fishing discussion in there.

Noice work on the vice.  I'm all thumbs.  My flies and jigs never look that clean.

On my way, got a few pics from the holiday that I’ll put up. 

I don’t know fly fishing from shinola.  I’m sad about that.  It seams to me that designing and tying a fly, and laying it out just so, brings an intimacy to fishing that’s unique.   In the Gulf of Mexico, I might catch a fish in fifteen minutes.    Same on the French River in Ontario.   But a fly fisherman takes weeks to catch a fish.  If I wrote poetry, I’d write of fly fisherman thinking like, and becoming like, their catch .. all with resolute patience and exquisite skill.

I’m not sure what your fly’s supposed to do or what it’s supposed to fool.   I love it. 

Ah been a while since I have been to the French River... beautiful tributary to the Georgian Bay.  Went fly fisching once on a lake in Maine.  I have done a lot of small tackle fisching so I picked the casting up fast.  But setting the hook on small trout was interesting.  I asked my guide if I have to really set the hook.  He said yes, so I used two hands like you would for a small mouth bass.  Darn fisch came flying  from thirty yards away and almost hit the bow of the canoe.  My guide nearly tipped the canoe over he was laughing so hard. Figured it out and recently received a fly tying kit last year as a present.  One of these days, when I can find some time, gotta try my hand at it.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I don’t know fly fishing from shinola.  I’m sad about that.  It seams to me that designing and tying a fly, and laying it out just so, brings an intimacy to fishing that’s unique.   In the Gulf of Mexico, I might catch a fish in fifteen minutes.    Same on the French River in Ontario.   But a fly fisherman takes weeks to catch a fish.  If I wrote poetry, I’d write of fly fisherman thinking like, and becoming like, their catch .. all with resolute patience and exquisite skill.

I’m not sure what your fly’s supposed to do or what it’s supposed to fool.   I love it. 

Edited by North Buffalo

4 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Ah been a while since I have been to the French River... beautiful tributary to the Georgian Bay.  Went fly fisching once on a lake in Maine.  I have done a lot of small tackle fisching so I picked the casting up fast.  But setting the hook on small trout was interesting.  I asked my guide if I have to really set the hook.  He said yes, so I used two hands like you would for a small mouth bass.  Darn fisch came flying  from thirty yards away and almost hit the bow of the canoe.  My guide nearly tipped the canoe over he was laughing so hard. Figured it out and recently received a fly tying kit last year as a present.  One of these days, when I can find some time, gotta try my hand at it.

So many more resources today to help you get started.  Youtube is perfect for this.  Tons of Youtube vids of fly tying.  Watch a bunch of them for inspiration and tips/tricks.

TY will do and will let you know if I am successful.  

1 hour ago, Weave said:

So many more resources today to help you get started.  Youtube is perfect for this.  Tons of Youtube vids of fly tying.  Watch a bunch of them for inspiration and tips/tricks.

9 hours ago, Neo said:

A fly is supposed to mimic natural food sources or cause a reactive strike by an engaged fish.  Some of the best days flyfishing have been in the glades for snook and the keys for tarpon.  It is a wonderful pastime and can be totally immersive.  I sold all my traditional tackle 25 years ago and never looked back.  On the occassional days when I want to fish deepwater I rent gear.  Otherwise I pretty much use a fly rod.

The fun part of this method to me is the requirement to stop and take stock of the surroundings and think like your quarry.  Where would I hold, what would I be preying on etc.  And when you catch a hatch just right it is awesome.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, 3putt said:

Nice tie.   Very clean.  

Whats the tail?

Dyed turkey tail. Hobby Lobby “costume feathers” find. 

I don’t even have to be actively fishing, sometimes sitting on a rock in the middle of a stream smoking a cigar and sipping from a flask waiting for fish to rise can erase a lot of what life throws at you. One of my favorite times to be on the water is early morning watching the mist rise off the water. Of course the catching is fun too.

Tying can be therapeutic as well. I tie most of my own flies; the exception being ones that require spun deer hair, still working on adding that to my repertoire. 

Know what you mean.  I spend hours turning over rocks just because.  I love the abilty to unplug yet be tuned in to the river.  I love flowing water. Keep it up and Inlook forward to more patterns.  Mine are much more crude but effective.  Presentation is still important. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.