Is #walkaway a thing?

5th line wingnutt

2 hours ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

I think antifa is both real and extreme.  For me it qualifies as alt left.  Alternative left as opposed to welfare state left.  And for me antifa is more fascist than the people they oppose.

So if this is your view of the left, what may I call the right? 

54 minutes ago, LTS said:

What do you mean it's not a real thing?  There are no extreme left positions?  I wholeheartedly disagree with that sentiment.

There are, of course, extreme left positions, and idiots abound everywhere. But to equate the very real threat of the militant extreme right at this moment with anything on the left, yes... even that scariest of dreadlocked drum-circling boogeymen “antifa,” is simply not supported by reality.  Not everything needs to be made to balance if the evidence clearly puts almost all of the weight on one side of the scale. 

12 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

There are, of course, extreme left positions, and idiots abound everywhere. But to equate the very real threat of the militant extreme right at this moment with anything on the left, yes... even that scariest of dreadlocked drum-circling boogeymen “antifa,” is simply not supported by reality.  Not everything needs to be made to balance if the evidence clearly puts almost all of the weight on one side of the scale. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Congressional_baseball_shooting

8 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

List them.

I'm not going to list them all (because who has the time?!) but besides the three incidents that happened just last week, the following recent events come to mind:

Bundy Ranch

Malheur

Jade Helm

The kid who shot up the church in South Carolina

The guy who went to the pizza place in DC

The gay nightclub in Florida

Charlottesville

The Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado

The movie theater shooting in Louisiana

And that's just off of the top of my head.

Also, I changed "killings" to "incidents" while you were replying.

Edited by Eleven

17 hours ago, LTS said:

Wait...  

I mean, I suppose you could substitute antifa or some other extreme left reference but I think the point is clear.

My point is that alt-right is a self-described term used and invented by the alt-right. It's not some dirty word concocted by liberals to smear a certain viewpoint.

If you're talking about Antifa, say it.  There's plenty of great points to be made against that movement.

Edited by JujuFish

2 hours ago, JujuFish said:

My point is that alt-right is a self-described term used and invented by the alt-right. It's not some dirty word concocted by liberals to smear a certain viewpoint.

If you're talking about Antifa, say it.  There's plenty of great points to be made against that movement.

There are quite a few differences between the alt-right and Antifa in the US, although both are made up of idiots.

First, Antifa has no public voice.  There is no Alex Jones, no Steve Bannon, Cliven Bundy, Donald Trump Jr., nothing like that.  It's just a loose description of a bunch of anarchists who couldn't possibly follow a leader because they don't believe in one.

Second, at least in the US, those who identify with Antifa seem to prefer non-human violence first, and then non-lethal violence second.  There's not a list like the one I posted above.  It's mostly property damage.

Third, it is so, so much more below the surface, and it is considerably less popular.  If you went out into any crowd and asked about right-wing extremists, people would know what you're talking about.  If you went into any crowd and asked about Antifa, only those who are "in touch"--like people in this discussion--would know.  

Fourth, Antifa-types never have been in power (they don't believe in it, I guess?), but the alt-right is in power now.  The sorts of people who would be popular with Antifa now, were last popular shortly before Woodstock.  (Then they decided to have babies, change their minds, move to the suburbs, and f*ck over the rest of the country forever.  We call them "boomers.")

In parts of Europe and South America, it might be different.  But here in the US, Antifa might as well be a circus.

Edited by Eleven

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

There are quite a few differences between the alt-right and Antifa in the US, although both are made up of idiots.

First, Antifa has no public voice.  There is no Alex Jones, no Steve Bannon, Cliven Bundy, Donald Trump Jr., nothing like that.  It's just a loose description of a bunch of anarchists who couldn't possibly follow a leader because they don't believe in one.

Second, at least in the US, those who identify with Antifa seem to prefer non-human violence first, and then non-lethal violence second.  There's not a list like the one I posted above.  It's mostly property damage.

Third, it is so, so much more below the surface, and it is considerably less popular.  If you went out into any crowd and asked about right-wing extremists, people would know what you're talking about.  If you went into any crowd and asked about Antifa, only those who are "in touch"--like people in this discussion--would know.  

Fourth, Antifa-types never have been in power (they don't believe in it, I guess?), but the alt-right is in power now.  The sorts of people who would be popular with Antifa now, were last popular shortly before Woodstock.  (Then they decided to have babies, change their minds, move to the suburbs, and f*ck over the rest of the country forever.  We call them "boomers.")

In parts of Europe and South America, it might be different.  But here in the US, Antifa might as well be a circus.

??? That boomers part was funny as ***** to me. I LOLed.