Is #walkaway a thing?

5th line wingnutt

I have no idea what you are referring to.   Can you expand upon this? 

I suppose I could say that if you've seen #walkaway then it's a thing.. because you've seen it, it must exist.  In fact by posting it, you've created it.  So, yes, at some level, it is a thing. ?

I saw this on PPP. No clue if it's real or not but it's basically a bunch of people who claim to be former Democrats that have walked away from the Democrat party into the open arms of the GOP. Based on the half dozen or so that I read, something tells me the vast majority of people who "walked away" were already in the tank for the GOP.

As evidenced in the other thread.. I am very independent, middle of the road.

I don't get why people only consider the Democratic or Republican parties when both have done smash up jobs of ruining the government.  

At what point do people finally accept there are 3rd party viewpoints that blend two sides together?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LTS said:

I don't get why people only consider the Democratic or Republican parties when both have done smash up jobs of ruining the government.  

At what point do people finally accept there are 3rd party viewpoints that blend two sides together?

When Jill Stein and Gary Johnson aren't the ones at the head ?

1 hour ago, LTS said:

9 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51UGcghHZsk

I saw this video on youtube.  Brandon Straka is the name of the guy who made it.  He says a lot about what he thinks is wrong with the Democratic party, but does not indicate support for any other party.

Isn't that part of the problem? We're so focused on what we know we don't like that we end up voting (or not) based on who we hate least as opposed to who we actually believe in wrt to policy and viewpoint.

Limiting the American public to only two parties creates this 'us against them' mindset. Multiple parties would (in theory) allow for each legislative item to be judged on its merits rather than who came up with it.

44 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Isn't that part of the problem? We're so focused on what we know we don't like that we end up voting (or not) based on who we hate least as opposed to who we actually believe in wrt to policy and viewpoint.

Limiting the American public to only two parties creates this 'us against them' mindset. Multiple parties would (in theory) allow for each legislative item to be judged on its merits rather than who came up with it.

See Duverger's law.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

When Jill Stein and Gary Johnson aren't the ones at the head ?

Let's be real.  The two people running for the other parties weren't exactly better specimens were they?

I look at the people who make up the top of both the Democratic and Republican parties and I'd vote for nearly anyone who opposed them, regardless of the party.

47 minutes ago, LTS said:

Let's be real.  The two people running for the other parties weren't exactly better specimens were they?

I look at the people who make up the top of both the Democratic and Republican parties and I'd vote for nearly anyone who opposed them, regardless of the party.

This specific time? I'd take either Donald or Hillary over Jill Stein at least. 

In general, I feel ya. 

13 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

This specific time? I'd take either Donald or Hillary over Jill Stein at least. 

In general, I feel ya. 

The reason I wouldn't is simply that both Donald and Hillary are beholden to their parties and special interests that, when closely scrutinized, are not very different from each other. They are cut from the same reversible cloth and that cloth is horrible quality.

There are good Republican and Democrat representatives.  Unfortunately they never get to the important roles in the party.  I cannot support them because as an independent I am not allowed to vote in primaries.

But I would not have voted for Jill Stein.

42 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

Here's the link to the thread on PPP about it.

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/206591-walkaway/

I read some of the tweets.  I think it's interesting, especially about being exploited.  Here's the thing, Republicans do the same exploitation of their supporters as well.  

If Walking Away from the Democratic Party means that you feel you need to walk to the Republican party then you are just choosing to be slapped by the right hand rather than the left.  It may take awhile for the pain to become unbearable in the other cheek, at which point you think going back to the Democratic Party will be the answer.  In the end, you die having only been beaten up by two side of the same political machine.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, LTS said:

Word. The problem is that no challenger can outspend either party or overcome the creature-of-habit voting practices of most reliable party voters. 

I could walk away from the Democratic party but there's no point, because people sure as hell aren't walking away from the GOP. 

It's easier to try to influence the Democratic party from within, just like the Tea Party did to the GOP...

Yes both sides do these kind of announcements.  Once you leave one party the other side considers you a traitor and if you are moderate the new party will consider you with suspicion... almost better to go independent but then you don’t have the backing of one of the machines.

Yeh people do unidentify but not enough to truly make them independent.  Those that do might split tickets, but they still lean heavily one way or the other in their post breakup voting habits and usually with the party they split with.  Too lazy to look up stats but trends rarely show true splits.

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Word. The problem is that no challenger can outspend either party or overcome the creature-of-habit voting practices of most reliable party voters. 

I could walk away from the Democratic party but there's no point, because people sure as hell aren't walking away from the GOP. 

It's easier to try to influence the Democratic party from within, just like the Tea Party did to the GOP...

• 3 months later...

If you're going to post stories that are being widely covered, maybe post one from a more middle of the road/less biased source rather than an alleged pro-Russian and alt-right leaning blog (no longer just an international financial blog as it started) full of dodgy pop-ups run by folks who go by the pseudonym "Tyler Durden". Hard to have a calm and thoughtful conversation when the initial submission is already charged.

For instance, saying "Kanye West is making an anti-democrat clothing line with slogans such as "Blexit" and "We Free" can spark some convo. Or some eye-rolls, because it's Kanye West.

There are multiple news stories that keep it to that, without inflammatory terminology focused on or against either "side". Much more useful in your conversations, if you wish to actually have one. 

47 minutes ago, josie said:

If you're going to post stories that are being widely covered, maybe post one from a more middle of the road/less biased source rather than an alleged pro-Russian and alt-right leaning blog (no longer just an international financial blog as it started) full of dodgy pop-ups run by folks who go by the pseudonym "Tyler Durden". Hard to have a calm and thoughtful conversation when the initial submission is already charged.

For instance, saying "Kanye West is making an anti-democrat clothing line with slogans such as "Blexit" and "We Free" can spark some convo. Or some eye-rolls, because it's Kanye West.

There are multiple news stories that keep it to that, without inflammatory terminology focused on or against either "side". Much more useful in your conversations, if you wish to actually have one. 

Funny. I've never seen you post this regarding the many alt left links.

1 hour ago, josie said:

If you are referring to "blexit", it is the first I heard of it, hence the question mark.

10 hours ago, Hank said:

Funny. I've never seen you post this regarding the many alt left links.

Yeah okay

Cuz we're totally out here posting Blue Tribune and Winning Democrats. My cousin posts/reposts loaaads of absolute outrage hobbyist leftist BS. And guess what? It's just a sh!tty as the alt right stuff, although maybe a bit less overtly racist. 

On 7/5/2018 at 3:15 PM, Randall Flagg said:

I've never heard of this as described by Alkoholist either, but I'm a Clinton voter (not necessarily supporter) who liked Obama at the time and am probably voting for a lot of Republicans (including POTUS) in the next 2.5 years.

Well if you want to vote for Trump that is your right but the man has no morals and would sell you to the highest bidder if it increased his wealth or prestige. Trump is everything America should not stand for. Hate, intolerance, lies, greed, and moral ambiguity. 

On 7/6/2018 at 9:20 AM, LTS said:

The reason I wouldn't is simply that both Donald and Hillary are beholden to their parties and special interests that, when closely scrutinized, are not very different from each other. They are cut from the same reversible cloth and that cloth is horrible quality.

There are good Republican and Democrat representatives.  Unfortunately they never get to the important roles in the party.  I cannot support them because as an independent I am not allowed to vote in primaries.

But I would not have voted for Jill Stein.

I read some of the tweets.  I think it's interesting, especially about being exploited.  Here's the thing, Republicans do the same exploitation of their supporters as well.  

If Walking Away from the Democratic Party means that you feel you need to walk to the Republican party then you are just choosing to be slapped by the right hand rather than the left.  It may take awhile for the pain to become unbearable in the other cheek, at which point you think going back to the Democratic Party will be the answer.  In the end, you die having only been beaten up by two side of the same political machine.  

Yup. Different sides of the same coin.