Soccer

Sabres Fan in NS

On 8/1/2018 at 10:47 AM, That Aud Smell said:

Effin' A. Very cool.

I saw that Liverpool (the club I support) was balking at 60M (whatever that is - euros?) to bring him in this summer. Which I get. Liverpool is probably (likely) a top-10 club in the world right now. Pulisic would be a sub for most matches. That's a lot of money for a sub.

But it seems to me that the marketing opportunities an English club would have would more than offset the transfer fee.

From a marketing standpoint, which ever club lands him will cash in.  I think it'll be Liverpool, since they have an American ownership group and understand the appeal having the top US player would bring stateside.  The interesting question though is if he wants that on his shoulders.  Going to a club like Bayern or Madrid would give him a better shot at silverware every year (and the Champions League).  As far as his development is concerned, there is no question the best place for him right now is Dortmund.  He should feature even more this year than past, as now Schurrle and Yarmolenko are gone.  Starting out wide is his job to lose and he'll be expected to be one of the guys carrying the load with Reus, Gotze, Kagawa...  A great position for an almost-20 year old to be in.  And, if he can live up to the hype, he'll be worth even more next year.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

I think it may be a bit early to start a thread, but the Euro 2020 is going to be wierd.

No side gets an automatic bid, so with so many hosts it is very likely, IMO, that some won't qualify.  Not to mention the holder (Portugal) has to qualify, which is very likely, but still possible that they won't.

On 9/25/2018 at 10:54 AM, Iron Crotch said:

I'd start a Bundesliga thread, but I get the feeling I'm the only one around here who watches the Bundesliga (more Americans in Germany than any other "top tier" league).

I spent three years in Germany. I'm a huge Bundesliga fan, if you started a thread I'd contribute. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dortmund vs. Nurnberg on now (FS2). 2-0 Dortmund in the first half. Absolutely beautiful assist by Christian Pulisic on the first goal and he got an assist on the second goal as well. The kid is playing his way into a huge contract with one of the world's biggest clubs. CP just turned 20 last week!

Borussia Dortmund is absurd! Scored 4 second half goals last weekend to pull out a 4-2 road win. Did it again this weekend with 4 goals in the last 30 minutes to win 4-3 on the last kick of the game. If you want to see some exciting attacking football, Dortmund is a team you need to check out. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Bump ...

The Canadian Premier League kicked off today with the Halifax Wanderers playing in Victoria, I think.

Halifax home opener is next weekend, I think.  It's sold out.  They role out a 1,000 seat bleacher thing on The Wandering Grounds and play football in front of it.

People here are actually excited about this, which is great.  We love our football in Halifax.

https://canpl.ca/

So to sum up my football/soccer season.....

I support Greenock Morton one of the oldest full time and professional teams in the world (founded 1874). We have bobbed about in Scotland's lower leagues with brief seasons in the top division. In my lifetime I have no recollection of them playing higher than our second tier (although I am assured my Dad took me to games from the age of 5.... 36 years ago. 

During last summer our chairmanndied. Morton had been his plaything since pulling us from administration. His shares are now divided up to his surviving family. Who have no interest in the club and are cutting funding. Remarkably this season started promisingly well, we hired and up and coming manager in Ray McKinnon. But he left the job about a month after starting his employment to join Falkirk, a club the media here seem to love but other fans despise. (Mostly due to the government handout they got to build their new ground, and their fans persecution complex). Managerless, playing rubbish football, and with and the threat of further budget reductions what was next for the long suffering fans? 

The hire of ex-rangers player and Finnish international Jonatan Johansson. At the time this was looked on as a brave move, a young up and coming manager with fresh ideas (sound familiar sabres fans?). Needless to say he was an abject failure. Alienated one of the best players to have played for us in the last 20 years (Michael Tidser) and trying to play defensive football with players who are not of the standard required resulted in is facing relegation. He struggled to achieve a point per game in his first 20 matches (quite a feat in a league that awards 3 points for a win). 

A late awaking coupled with collapse of Falkirk, Queen of the south and Partick Thistle somehow allowed us to creep upwards, and on Saturday we finished 5th. One place outside the promotion playoffs.

The drama on the last day was not limited to the pitch though. With Charlie Telfer in the teamsheet he was to play in his 25 game and trigger a contract extension. The chairman veteoed this. Some 2 hours before Saturday's final game the management team resigned as a protest. Luckily we'd already secured safety and the fans are in holiday mode. Fast forward to the final whistle. We beat promotion candidates Dundee United 1-0 to seal fifth place.looking elsewhere, our fans were tuned into the scores coming from Falkirk and also to Ayr v Alloa. Could our ex-manager achieve safety with the club he snakes out of Greenock to join? The answer was an emphatic "NO". Alloa winning a point against 3rd place Ayr meant that despite Falkirk winning Ray McKinnon and his "ambition" we're relegated to league 1 (,the third tier).

A fantastically successful day....

Clinched 5th place with a victory and a clean sheet. Lost our dreadful management team. Ray McKinnon leads Falkirk to relegation. 

Rumours of "fan ownership" and "new investors waiting in the wings" are rife. This summer will, once again, be very intering as our future unfolds.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Well, it's about time ...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/worldcup/uefa-president-michel-platini-arrested-1.5179498

I'll bet both our houses and what ever else I have that after a few softies they release him.  That crook.

And, when all is said and done, they’ll still have the World Cup in Qatar because of reasons.