Soccer

Sabres Fan in NS

Seems like PSG is leaving their home of 50 years in some kind of dispute with the city.

Since they have been owned by some rich fat cat from the Middle East they have been one of the best sides money can buy.  Money can buy you the best footballers, but not the city of Paris.

Question is ... where will they play.

My guess is that this will all quietly go away and the owner will shut up and just continue with the lease at the stadium.  I think it's signed forever or close to it.

I hate this part of football.  Love the game on the pitch, but leave all the nonsense out of it and I'd be happy.

• 4 weeks later...

*Stop me if you've heard this one before*

Real Madrid with yet another Club World Cup title.

These things are so boring, unless you are a fan of the hand full of clubs that always seem to win this thing.

There are so many *titles* these days I just can't keep track of it all.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...

13 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The super rich have already ruined football so who cares about another ...

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/2/18/qatar-based-bid-for-manchester-united-confirmed-on-deadline-day

The only hope the premier league has of remaining a going concern in the next few years is relegating Man City straight down the the National League ASAP and sending a copy of the decision to Chelsea, Newcastle, and now ManU with the good parts highlighted.  

Otherwise, the entire exercise will be a pointless sports washing exercise for petro-fascist regimes and we’ll all welcome the closed-shop Euro league with open arms.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

The only hope the premier league has of remaining a going concern in the next few years is relegating Man City straight down the the National League ASAP and sending a copy of the decision to Chelsea, Newcastle, and now ManU with the good parts highlighted.  

Otherwise, the entire exercise will be a pointless sports washing exercise for petro-fascist regimes and we’ll all welcome the closed-shop Euro league with open arms.  

I knew that I could count on you.

Some other super rich jackass has made an extra time announcement concerning Man U.  At least he is English ... Sir Jackass.

6.5 Billion Pounds is so outrageous that it's beyond mind boggling.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

One of my favourites has retired from pro football ...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65037573?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

At 34 he still has a lot to offer.  He took much abuse for plain old BS from fans.  Dude has Turkish heritage and is a practicing Muslim for Pete's sake.  Of course, he will be a supporter of Turkey.  I love Turkey (the country) too and I don't get that kind of abuse.

On 3/22/2023 at 9:45 AM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

One of my favourites has retired from pro football ...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65037573?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

At 34 he still has a lot to offer.  He took much abuse for plain old BS from fans.  Dude has Turkish heritage and is a practicing Muslim for Pete's sake.  Of course, he will be a supporter of Turkey.  I love Turkey (the country) too and I don't get that kind of abuse.

As an Arsenal fan I love Mesut.  Could have been an all-time great.  Sad the way he fizzled out, but he clearly just stopped caring after the Germany World cup debacle.  

Sad.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2023 at 12:57 PM, Sabel79 said:

As an Arsenal fan I love Mesut.  Could have been an all-time great.  Sad the way he fizzled out, but he clearly just stopped caring after the Germany World cup debacle.  

Sad.

What the German National team did is just terrible.  Mesut was still a baller then and could have run the mid-field very well for them, but no they needed to be stupid instead.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favourites has retired from football.

https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2023/6/5/ac-milan-striker-zlatan-ibrahimovic-retires-from-football-at-41

He was just such an amazing goal scorer.

I have him as my #5 all time (only players that I have watched play).

1. Pele

2. Maradona

3. Messi

4. CR7

5. Zlatan (Golden) Ibrahimovic (Son of Abraham)

• 2 weeks later...

Canada is playing the US in the CONCACAF Nations League final tomorrow night.

It's like the FA Cup in Europe, but different.

Canada with a good chance at a International Trophy for the first time in almost forever (25+ years, I think).

Match is being played in Sin City .. is everything happening there these days?

GO CANADA !!

MUST WIN !!

John Herdman is a fantastic football coach.  He has taken the CMT to another level.  We are lucky to have him as our field manager.

His point about money is not lost on me, but, dude, you need to find and develop better players.  I know that it all takes money, but to moan about not having enough money when your side falls short in the final to a higher ranked squad you need to find and develop better players.  Team USA and Team Mexico are not funded like the big sides in Europe ot South America.