Soccer

Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

And, when all is said and done, they’ll still have the World Cup in Qatar because of reasons.   

No question.  There was never any reason to think that such a corrupt organization as FIFA would ever think of trying to make things right.

Anyone following the CONCACAF (what is that, really?) Gold Cup?

I didn't even know it was a thing until last night when I watched some Irish bloke (team Canada Manager) talking about Canada taking on a surprising Haiti in a Quarter Final match on Saturday (I think it's Saturday).  

Are these the mens national teams in some kind of tuneup for the World Cup in 2022?  Or is this a FIFA infinitely wisdomed championship for every conference kind of thing?

22 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Anyone following the CONCACAF (what is that, really?) Gold Cup?

I didn't even know it was a thing until last night when I watched some Irish bloke (team Canada Manager) talking about Canada taking on a surprising Haiti in a Quarter Final match on Saturday (I think it's Saturday).  

Are these the mens national teams in some kind of tuneup for the World Cup in 2022?  Or is this a FIFA infinitely wisdomed championship for every conference kind of thing?

CONCACAF = Confederation Of North American, Central American And Caribbean Association Football (You know, Soccer).

The gold cup is the confederation championship, akin to the Euros, Copa America, African Cup of Nations (also currently ongoing), and whatever else they do elsewhere.  Everybody's got one.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sabills said:

Maybe someday the US Men will have an actual striker

Nah.  The scam artists in charge of youth development at USSF are busy filling kids (and more importantly their parents, who, you know, write checks) that what we need is another Landon Donavan.  

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
8 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

RIP Maradona. 

One of the all time greats.  It seems that there is an investigation going on in Argentina.

He had it all and then he found cocaine.  Terrible.

I think he is finally answering for the *hand of God* goal in 1986 WC quarter final against England.

Certainly one of the most functionally skillful players who has ever lived.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well European football is in a bit of a mess right now.

12 clubs dediced they wanted their own 'super league' (basically their own champions league with guaranteed spots)

Juventus, AC milan, Inter milan, Barcelona, Atletic and Real madrid, Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and both Manchesters.
PSG, Bayern and Dortmund said no to this.   (3 of these teams have not qualified for champions league in years)

1 day after laying out their plans, UEFA and FIFA responded that any player joining this league would not be able to play European or world championships.

The fans of those teams threatened to never see another game of those clubs and UEFA along with the national countries said those teams would be ruled out for their national leagues.

So 12 presidents of these clubs decided it was a good idea to try this and it backfired like hell.   Chelsea and manchester city already pulled out again under fan pressure.   They are taking a lot of heat from their own fans, European fans don't want closed competitions.
Basically asshats been living big over the years, got a lot of debt, and a bank that was almost bankrupt in JP morgan is financing it with 3.5 billion euro's.  So this is their way of trying to get their debts away by making sure they always qualify for their 'champions league'.    Financial issues might make it harder in the future for these teams to put good teams on the field, so lets try and cheat our way into permanent spots.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

The European Super League was a rich dude collective tantrum.  What a joke.  They should know my now that you can't go up against the mafia.

On 4/17/2021 at 11:41 AM, Eleven said:

Norwich is back up.

Just saw this now.

Fantastic!!

They are actually a pretty good side and should stay up for a while, I hope.

• 2 months later...

So, Messi's life long tenure at Barca officially ended yesterday.

Today he has arrived in Paris to finalize his transfer and contract with PSG.

It is going to be very strange to see him not is a Barca jersey, but I think he will be great in Paris.  The rich clubs get all the stars.  I knew he would either end up at PSG, or Man C.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My #5 all time is a tough call.  I can only choose from the players that I have watched.  So many are possible, but I think I will go with Ibrahimovic (son of Ibrahim / Abraham) ... first name Zlatan (Golden).  He is a living highlight reel and a pretty funny dude too.

• 2 weeks later...