Soccer

Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, sabills said:

He is a star and at 19 the sky is the limit.

He looks to be one of the few US players that will have a top flight career in Europe.  Off the top of my head I can't think of another one, or a Canadian player either.

7 hours ago, N S said:

He is a star and at 19 the sky is the limit.

He looks to be one of the few US players that will have a top flight career in Europe.  Off the top of my head I can't think of another one, or a Canadian player either.

There's actually quite a few high potential players. Pulisic isn't the only one.

Weston McKennie on Schalke04 gets regular playing time.

Josh Sargent signed this past winter with Werder Bremen and should get quality time this season. He was a star at the U20 World Cup at age 17.

Cameron Carter-Victers is probably a year away, but still Tottenham is super high on him.

Tim Weah just debuted for PSG this past season and made his USMNT debut. He looks to be the real deal.

And if you're looking for potential future stars who currently play domestically, keep an eye out for Tyler Adams and Andrew Carleton. Essp Carleton. He has Pulisic type skills.

As for Canada, their Pulisic is Alphonso Davies. Plays in Vancouver and will be in Europe soon.

10 hours ago, Briere48 said:

There's actually quite a few high potential players. Pulisic isn't the only one.

Josh Sargent signed this past winter with Werder Bremen and should get quality time this season. He was a star at the U20 World Cup at age 17.

Cameron Carter-Victers is probably a year away, but still Tottenham is super high on him.

Tim Weah just debuted for PSG this past season and made his USMNT debut. He looks to be the real deal.

And if you're looking for potential future stars who currently play domestically, keep an eye out for Tyler Adams and Andrew Carleton. Essp Carleton. He has Pulisic type skills.

As for Canada, their Pulisic is Alphonso Davies. Plays in Vancouver and will be in Europe soon.

Yeah, these are all good signs, especially Weah. Getting time on PSG is a big deal.

12 hours ago, Briere48 said:

The most encouraging thing is that the USMNT seems like it can finally let go of the nostalgic players of old. For the longest time we seemed to have been relying on the aging Donovan, Dempsey, Tim Howard types that just don't have the legs for the national stage anymore. There was a huge void where the younger players weren't of sufficient quality to push for playing time on the USMNT.

It will be nice to root for the young players again and given their early success at the EPL and European leagues, they might actually be good enough to make some noise in WC 2022.

32 minutes ago, N S said:

I saw a headline while I was at the bank this morning ...

Chelsea has fired their manager. 

Anyone have any poop on this ... ?

They're evidently hiring the Napoli Manager Sarri.  Chelsea is a mess right now, Hazard likely walks, the owner has had his assets frozen and no money is forthcoming, the new stadium is now no longer happening. 

Good. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/13/2018 at 9:48 AM, Sabel79 said:

Chelsea is a mess right now, Hazard likely walks, the owner has had his assets frozen and no money is forthcoming, the new stadium is now no longer happening. 

I thought I read about Real offering for Hazard (which, okay - he's a nice player - but you're better off with Mahrez).

But what's this about the owner's assets being frozen?

18 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I thought I read about Real offering for Hazard (which, okay - he's a nice player - but you're better off with Mahrez).

But what's this about the owner's assets being frozen?

He is on a list of Russian gangsters (opps, business men) who have had their assets frozen in the US.  Of course, 'that guy' criticised the bill enacting the sanctions when he signed it, but this is the Soccer Club.  

https://www.wikitribune.com/story/2018/04/06/russia/new-oligarch-list-makes-life-harder-for-putin-allies/45323/

Anyway, at last word the UK is thinking of doing the same, but has not done so, as far as I know.  I'm not sure what that means for his EPL toy.  The EPL should be ashamed ... they will let any billionaire gangster, or oil crook, own a team.

Saw Pulisic in person Sunday when Dortmund played Liverpool here in Charlotte.  He only played the 2nd half, but every time he touched the ball it was electric.  He was matched against Moreno and Klavan for Liverpool, who aren't great, but they're better than most of the guys who were playing in this exhibition game and at least have legitimate PL experience.  The sky's the limit for him.

2 hours ago, chileanseabass said:

Saw Pulisic in person Sunday when Dortmund played Liverpool here in Charlotte.  He only played the 2nd half, but every time he touched the ball it was electric.  He was matched against Moreno and Klavan for Liverpool, who aren't great, but they're better than most of the guys who were playing in this exhibition game and at least have legitimate PL experience.  The sky's the limit for him.

I am jealous.

15 hours ago, chileanseabass said:

Can't say I really support either club, but getting to see him play live was worth the price of admission ($70 x 3).  Took two of my boys and they had a blast.

Tonight he plays in Pittsburgh, I tried to get a group together but no go, and I don't feel like driving 4 hours each way by myself. Cest le vie.

On 7/24/2018 at 1:05 PM, chileanseabass said:

Effin' A. Very cool.

I saw that Liverpool (the club I support) was balking at 60M (whatever that is - euros?) to bring him in this summer. Which I get. Liverpool is probably (likely) a top-10 club in the world right now. Pulisic would be a sub for most matches. That's a lot of money for a sub.

But it seems to me that the marketing opportunities an English club would have would more than offset the transfer fee.

On 7/25/2018 at 7:59 AM, sabills said:

Tonight he plays in Pittsburgh, I tried to get a group together but no go, and I don't feel like driving 4 hours each way by myself. Cest le vie.

Dammit. Missed this one, too. Oh, well. Another time.

So, is the transfer window closed?

Is it just me, or is the second biggest transfer Rooney to DC United?

At 32, I think, he should have something left to offer some side in the EPL.  Is he injured, or something?

And why not the MLS, right?  I mean the Golden Boy is lighting it up in LA and is one of the top few players in the MLS at almost 40.

Edited by N S
lazy assness ...

4 hours ago, N S said:

So, is the transfer window closed?

Is it just me, or is the second biggest transfer Rooney to DC United?

At 32, I think, he should have something left to offer some side in the EPL.  Is he injured, or something?

And why not the MLS, right?  I mean the Golden Boy is lighting it up in LA and is one of the top few players in the MLS at almost 40.

The Window for pretty much everybody closes 8/31.  The Premier League decided to shut theirs (incoming, anyway) before the season starts in two weeks.  Given the short off season with the world cup, the next couple weeks ought to be quite active.

Rooney, if we're honest, has not looked after himself well at all.  Too many beers and cigarettes.  His body's much older than his age...

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

The Window for pretty much everybody closes 8/31.  The Premier League decided to shut theirs (incoming, anyway) before the season starts in two weeks.  Given the short off season with the world cup, the next couple weeks ought to be quite active.

Rooney, if we're honest, has not looked after himself well at all.  Too many beers and cigarettes.  His body's much older than his age...

Rooney has been done 4 years ago already, they guy is going downhill fast.    Great talent, not a good athlete.