Eichel switching to #9 (OFFICIAL)

Hoss

Eichel changes to 9  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which number do you prefer for Eichel?

No, he went back to 23 shortly after returning. But his original number upon return was 45. It was even in a Jay-Z song! "When I come back like Jordan, wearin' the 4-5, it ain't to play games with you...."

Damn, never knew that. Pretty nice piece of trivia to know 

Far as Jay Z, big meh on him for me. Never got the fuss, don't think he's all that good. Only song I like by him is Hard Knock Life

He played 22 games with 45. Legend has it that he always wanted to be 45 but it was his brother’s number do he divided 45 in half then converted 22.5 into 23. No idea if the 22 was significant because of that as well (22+23).

Don’t remember story of 12.

2dc9lp.jpg

That would be really bizarre. Only two players I can recall doing that were Kobe and LeBron, and they did it for, well, let's just say different reasons

Kobe because of the incident in Colorado (he claims it wasn’t) and LeBron because 23 was retired with the Heat.

That would be really bizarre. Only two players I can recall doing that were Kobe and LeBron, and they did it for, well, let's just say different reasons

For the Sabres, Brad May and Mike Peca changed numbers for non Rip simonic number reasons.

Andrechuck did as well.

He played 22 games with 45. Legend has it that he always wanted to be 45 but it was his brother’s number do he divided 45 in half then converted 22.5 into 23. No idea if the 22 was significant because of that as well (22+23).

Don’t remember story of 12.

Indeed, wore it because he wore it growing up like his brother did. He also said he wanted to wear 45 because it’s the number his dad watched him wear before his father was murdered.

He changed back to 23 because he got punked by another player who said after the game he never would’ve been able to do it to number 23 but could do it to 45.

I sorta love the idea. A fresh start.

I recall him going through a bit of a thing with his number when he arrived. He first requested 11, IIRC. (Ha.) I think he knew 9 was taken, but he had a history with that number too. I think 15 might have been his 4th choice -- he talked about it being a lucky number for his father (maybe his birthday?).

It's a shame that no one has a Biron 00.

The NHL banned it, that’s why Biron switched.

For the record: I hope he does switch to 9. I love the number in Hockey. 15 is extremely bland and it could be a mental fresh start.

9 with a big ol C on the front of it.

Imagine that, if the Sabres fill 2 true franchise-wide voids in a single off-season - never having had a true #1 D & never having had a player that adequately filled the skates of a player wearing #9. That's Howe, Richard, & the original Hull territory. Shame it's been best filled by either Dudley or Roy in Buffalo (Martin's brief time wearing it & 8 as well is FAR outweighted by his years as #7, so IMHO it doesn't count.)

My favorite thing about 15 is that it could really be his. If he ever really became a star he'd have a good look at the best NHLer in 15 ever, possibly in (American Big 4) sports.

Look at this list, Starr is the clear winner at the moment:

Bart Starr, NFL; Thurman Munson, MLB; Carmelo Anthony, NBA; Hal Greer, NBA; Earl Monroe, NBA

On this list of NHLers its Milt Schmidt, who I've never heard of:

https://www.si.com/nhl/photos/2010/09/30greatest-nhl-players-by-jersey-number#15

#9 is obviously a bit tougher...

220px-Gordie_Howe_Chex_card.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.