UPDATE: Sam Reinhart signs 2-year extension -- $3.65MM per year

dudacek

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Neither.  I hate it as a political entity and a sports city.

It's not a political entity, it's the home of millions and millions of people who actually don't care much about politics. Sports is so low on the totem pole here. It's not like Buffalo, where the city's identity is linked to its sports teams.

I guess what I'm saying is you don't have a very accurate impression of NYC.

Edited by erickompositör72

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Politically, that small area of the state (about half a per cent of land area of the state) imposes its will on the rest of the state.  The City of Buffalo has essentially zero influence over statewide politics.

It didn't have a problem taking billions of revitalization dollars, though.

Just sayin'.

• Like (+1) 1

It's been a long time since I've lived in NYS, I still carry the impressions I had when I left there I guess.  I won't even dispute that I "don't have a very accurate impression" but like I said... I don't care.  I don't like Boston or Philly either.  Most of that is sports rivalry stuff, since I spend very little time on the eastern seaboard.

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Politically, that small area of the state (about half a per cent of land area of the state) imposes its will on the rest of the state.  The City of Buffalo has essentially zero influence over statewide politics.

Well, representation is about population, not land mass.

34 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Exactly.  So if you're in NYC you see that as a favorable situation, outside NYC it feels like you're getting screwed.

10 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Except you still have proportionate representation

And the fact that the NYC region funds the rest of the state makes it even more silly.

16 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think Rhino is one of the most underpaid players in the NHL. Yup.

How 'bout them (Big) Apples?

I agree with this.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

Reinhart's pass to Eichel on Skinner's goal tonight was a perfect example of what this guy does to make those around him better.

94 career assists in 281 NHL games.    That's not even top 100 in the league over the past 4 seasons in assists.

He was touted as such a heady player coming out of junior and you see him occasionally make some very nice passes, but he just doesn't do it often enough for whatever reason.. that's why I have an issue with him.... and he's mistake prone... for example against ARI they had the puck in the zone for like 30s or so, they were buzzing getting to all the lose pucks, Eichel makes a nice play to glove the puck out of the air and immediately feeds Reinhart who just gives the puck away to an ARI player a few feet away as he mishandled it for whatever reason made a lazy attempt and the entire momentum is shifted.   

30 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

94 career assists in 281 NHL games.    That's not even top 100 in the league over the past 4 seasons in assists.

He was touted as such a heady player coming out of junior and you see him occasionally make some very nice passes, but he just doesn't do it often enough for whatever reason.. that's why I have an issue with him.... and he's mistake prone... for example against ARI they had the puck in the zone for like 30s or so, they were buzzing getting to all the lose pucks, Eichel makes a nice play to glove the puck out of the air and immediately feeds Reinhart who just gives the puck away to an ARI player a few feet away as he mishandled it for whatever reason made a lazy attempt and the entire momentum is shifted.   

It’s tied for 105th of all skaters, tied for 76th amongst all forwards and tied for 18th with Eberle, Radulov and Perry at RW.  That puts him on the top line assists wise on basically every team in the NHL.  30 teams x 3 players = 90 players.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s tied for 105th of all skaters and tied for 76th amongst all forwards.  That puts him on the top line assists wise on basically every team in the NHL.  30 teams x 3 players = 90 players.

76th out 90?  OK.   He's a below average top line player (assists wise), bottom 3rd in the league. 

Edited by pi2000

33 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I remember being exasperated at that play too. 

However, any player that handles the puck a lot in the O-zone as much as the Sabres' top line is doing is going to have some bad cough-ups.  I don't think it was out of laziness, either.  And Reino and the rest of the top line was very effective last night.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s tied for 105th of all skaters and tied for 76th amongst all forwards.  That puts him on the top line assists wise on basically every team in the NHL.  30 teams x 3 players = 90 players.

OK, but pi's point is still valid -- the overall production isn't there at the level that some here are claiming for Sam.

OTOH, his first few years occurred in a highly dysfunctional situation.  I'll predict he finishes much higher in assists this year -- he's currently 41st. 

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

However, any player that handles the puck a lot in the O-zone as much as the Sabres' top line is doing is going to have some bad cough-ups.  I don't think it was out of laziness, either.  And Reino and the rest of the top line was very effective last night.

OK, but pi's point is still valid -- the overall production isn't there at the level that some here are claiming for Sam.

OTOH, his first few years occurred in a highly dysfunctional situation.  I'll predict he finishes much higher in assists this year -- he's currently 41st. 

And he's a plus 6. (tied 50th)

teehee

I think there is a lack of recognition from some that 23-year-old Sam just might be a better, more mature, player than 21-year-old Sam.

I wonder if we are going to be still talking about Tage Thompson’s crappy puck protection and Rasmus Dahlin’s giveaways when they have matured into their adult NHL selves?

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

And he's a plus 6. (tied 50th)

teehee

I’ve been waiting for Pi’s take on sam’s +13 in his last 20 games (best on the Sabres, 10th in the NHL)

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I think there is a lack of recognition from some that 23-year-old Sam just might be a better, more mature, player than 21-year-old Sam.

I wonder if we are going to be still talking about Tage Thompson’s crappy puck protection and Rasmus Dahlin’s giveaways when they have matured into their adult NHL selves?

Sam has been my favorite player to watch, for the last couple of years now, because he almost always make the right play. Even the subtle ones. I find it interesting when someone points out the one that he didn't make to try and reinforce their point.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, SwampD said:

Sam has been my favorite player to watch, for the last couple of years now, because he almost always make the right play. Even the subtle ones. I find it interesting when someone points out the one that he didn't make to try and reinforce their point. 

Well, this is pretty generous.

And while Reino makes lots of nice plays, I don't see how anyone could prefer watching him to watching the great Swedish gift.

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

No one said he was Mikko Rantanen or the second coming.  All anyone really said is that Samson is a 1st line player and even Pi’s stats confirm that opinion.  Also Sam is still growing and improving as shown by his 64 pts in his last 70 games.  Of the RWs he’s tied with over the last 4 years, he is the only one with upside.  

I have used this contract vs production ratio for years. 100k in salary per point of production as an indicator of value.  Right now Sam is on pace for 69 pts for he season all for 3.6 mill.  To put things into perspective, Nylander just received $10 mill this season and then $7 mill for the next 5 years after back to back 61 pt seasons.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nfreeman said:

Well, this is pretty generous.

And while Reino makes lots of nice plays, I don't see how anyone could prefer watching him to watching the great Swedish gift.

I think it's because it's less obvious, but yes, it has been nice lately to have more than one favorite.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ve been waiting for Pi’s take on sam’s +13 in his last 20 games (best on the Sabres, 10th in the NHL)

Sam is a good player, but he's not a great player and he doesn't make anybody around him better.    He's getting point because of who he's playing with.    If he did make others around him better he'd be centering the second line.

Another play from last night,   Bogo makes a perfect cross ice pass to Sam, right in his wheel house and he muffs the one-timer with a yawning cage.     That should've been an easy goal, a top line winger needs to convert there but he mis-fired.    He's a not a guy who's going to score from the perimeter because his shot is not very good.    Skinner also doesn't have an elite level shot, but he's fantastic cleaning up around the net.

Sam is a smart player, rarely out of position, usually makes the correct read and can anticipate very well.   But it ends there.

For BUF to be a contender they need an elite shooter on Jacks wing to compliment Skinner.... and more scoring depth down the lineup, namely a number 2 center.

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Sam is a good player, but he's not a great player and he doesn't make anybody around him better.    He's getting point because of who he's playing with.    If he did make others around him better he'd be centering the second line.

Another play from last night,   Bogo makes a perfect cross ice pass to Sam, right in his wheel house and he muffs the one-timer with a yawning cage.     That should've been an easy goal, a top line winger needs to convert there but he mis-fired.    He's a not a guy who's going to score from the perimeter because his shot is not very good.    Skinner also doesn't have an elite level shot, but he's fantastic cleaning up around the net.

Sam is a smart player, rarely out of position, usually makes the correct read and can anticipate very well.   But it ends there.

For BUF to be a contender they need an elite shooter on Jacks wing to compliment Skinner.... and more scoring depth down the lineup, namely a number 2 center.

Is it just coincidence, then, that Jack has started scoring now that Reinhart is on that line? I think he makes them better.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You're taking this far deeper than I ever intended to go.  You're right.  Does that make you feel better?

This isn't for me, this is for you. I'm just trying to help you through ?

FWIW, I have a perhaps illogical love for NYC. I do appreciate what you contribute to this board, despite our differences on NYC (well, except your contributions re:Drury ? )

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.