UPDATE: Sam Reinhart signs 2-year extension -- $3.65MM per year

dudacek

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Samson now has 12 pts in 17 games. 58 pt pace.

slow Oct - 6 pts in 12 games

now 6 pts in 5 games in Nov.  Also +5 this month.

Not to mention how he took a puck in the mouth, came back looking like one of Mel’s kids (thanks PA) only to set up the goal to get us back in it with a beautiful feed, then bury the tying goal himself. That’s hero biscuit stuff boys and girls, although for some reason a number of people will ignore it, or at least forget it rather quickly.

And yes, 

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Reinhart will be fine 

Edited by dudacek

Yesterday Reino delivered his finest hour as a Sabre.  The war wound, the nifty setup of Skinner (which came after Howie moved Reino to the top line in search of a spark — nice move by Howie) and then the GTG (which, it must be admitted, was primarily due to poor goaltending — a Lehner-esque unnecessary depositing of a fat rebound onto the doorstep) to break his goalscoring drought — great stuff.  

It will probably help his confidence and we’ll get more from him going forward.  

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Yesterday Reino delivered his finest hour as a Sabre.  The war wound, the nifty setup of Skinner (which came after Howie moved Reino to the top line in search of a spark — nice move by Howie) and then the GTG (which, it must be admitted, was primarily due to poor goaltending — a Lehner-esque unnecessary depositing of a fat rebound onto the doorstep) to break his goalscoring drought — great stuff.  

It will probably help his confidence and we’ll get more from him going forward.  

He didn’t move Reinhart to the top line in search of a spark, I don’t believe. He was on the top line earlier because Eichel was out and he was on the ice there for a six-on-five.

But the rest stands.

38 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He didn’t move Reinhart to the top line in search of a spark, I don’t believe. He was on the top line earlier because Eichel was out and he was on the ice there for a six-on-five.

But the rest stands.

13 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Housley himself said he did during the post game presser. 

True. Skip ahead to 4:27 in.

Edited by Doohickie

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

But the rest stands.

Not meant to be piling on as you've already admitted the ooops.

Mittelstadt got the extra ice the shift Eichel left extremely early, and then Berglund primarily filled in with Skinner & Pominville w/ Larsson taking a few of Jack's other missed shifts.  Definitely didn't see Reinhart take any of those shifts and fairly certajn that neither Rodrigues nor Sobotka took any either.

Edited by Taro T

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Not meant to be piling on as you've already admitted the ooops.

Mittelstadt got the extra ice the shift Eichel left extremely early, and then Berglund primarily filled in with Skinner & Pominville w/ Larsson taking a few of Jack's other missed shifts.  Definitely didn't see Reinhart take any of those shifts and fairly certajn that neither Rodrigues nor Sobotka took any either.

I do recall seeing Reinhart out there with the first line in the second while Jack was out.

42 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Because he was also out getting stitches in his lip.

He wasn't getting stitched up in the 2nd period.  Eichel did not play at the beginning of the 2nd.

Reinhart was available to take shifts for Eichel during the 2nd, but he didn't,  primarily because Jack is a C and Sam is a RW.

40 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I do recall seeing Reinhart out there with the first line in the second while Jack was out.

You might be thinking of the PP they were on before Eichel came back.  Reinhart was out there w/ Skinner on that one.

And Rodrigues DID take a short shift w/ the top wing pair to open the  2nd w/ Mittelstadt finishing that long shift.

FWIW, I don’t think Reino took any shifts at C in place of Jack.  

I like having Reino there as a “break glass in case of emergency” option to replace Pommer on that line when a spark is needed.  

But I really want C.J. Smith or TT to seize that spot from Pommer permanently, as I think Pommer’s legs won’t last.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

FWIW, I don’t think Reino took any shifts at C in place of Jack.  

I like having Reino there as a “break glass in case of emergency” option to replace Pommer on that line when a spark is needed.  

But I really want C.J. Smith or TT to seize that spot from Pommer permanently, as I think Pommer’s legs won’t last.  

I have no interest in taking Pominville off this team until he’s dead. He’s been good and has produced. Until that changes he needs to be here.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

In typical Sabrespace fashion, people were quick to pipe up when Reinhart was dropped from the Eichel line in the third period against Minny in favour of Pominville and we ended up coming back to win. But we didn’t hear a peep when the same thing happened last night when Pommers was dropped for Sam.

I also find it interesting that in the Evan Rodrigues versus Tage Thompson debate, no one has pointed out that every time either one of those guys has performed his best is when he was on a line with Sam.

A while back people were questioning Sam’s contributions outside of scoring. When I pointed out he was a team leader in exits and entries and shot and chance creation the conversation stopped, but the criticism didn’t.

I’ve seen definitive declarations that he can’t skate when he is the best on the team at chipping it by a defenceman and retrieving the puck on the forecheck, that he’s too passive when he is second to Jack in protecting the puck along the boards then making a play with it. And that he can’t play defence.

Here’s another interesting stat. During the streak, Sam has been on the ice for just three goals against, second best on the team. Coupled with his 12 goals for - 4th on the team - he has a team-best differential of +9 (includes special teams). This comes with a lot of ice time and despite often playing with your two favourite whipping boys, Thompson and Sobotka.

He’s also put up 11 points in his past 10 games.

He’s the third-best forward on a team at the top of the league, left to carry the roster spare parts. And he makes them better.

Yet his contributions largely go unappreciated. It’s frustrating.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.