UPDATE: Sam Reinhart signs 2-year extension -- $3.65MM per year

dudacek

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'd keep Jack and Skinner together until the ridiculous scoring rates come back to earth, and then this would be totally cool to shift to. 

Skinner - Eichel - Pominville have all been dynamic. I don’t want to abandon that line the second there’s a mini-slump either. I’d be open to swapping Pominville & Reinhart eventually. Keep Skinner without Eichel and get him to re-sign.

7 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Skinner - Eichel - Pominville have all been dynamic. I don’t want to abandon that line the second there’s a mini-slump either. I’d be open to swapping Pominville & Reinhart eventually. Keep Skinner without Eichel and get him to re-sign.

Do you mean with Jack?

Here's an observation about Samson's goal scoring:

He seemed to get most of his goals in junior by smart positioning/finding soft areas, and just shooting the puck at an out-of-position goaltender. He has really good hands, but has never had a great shot.

I think if he wants to score more in this league, he has to realize that IQ/positioning alone is not going to get it done. You can't just get the puck in front of the net and shoot it at the goalie's pads. NHL goaltenders will make the save.

Unless he works on his shot and figures out a way to beat NHL goaltenders with his shot when he's in tight and can't deke, I don't think he's going to score the goals that other types who know how to finish (Skinner, Vanek, etc) do.

This would take a concerted effort on his part. Is he willing to work on this?

Edited by erickompositör72

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Two assists tonight, the first of them absolutely brilliant.

And passes to Jack, Bogo and Sheary that coulda shoulda made it 12-2.

I think the points will come.

He has limited time to improve the terms of his contract. A few nice dishes here and there. What else is he bringing night after night?

Not trying to be argumentative. From what I’ve seen (all on the tv) he’s working to satisfy the current contract. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Two assists tonight, the first of them absolutely brilliant.

And passes to Jack, Bogo and Sheary that coulda shoulda made it 12-2.

I think the points will come.

Nice commentary on Samson tonight by Vogl in the Athletic.

The guy now has 8 pts in 14 games.  That is a 47 pts pace and he hasn't even begun to score goals.  Samson in his career has always been a bit of a slow starter.

His first year he started 1-3= 4pts in 12 Oct games, a 27 pt pace and finished with 23g 19a for 42 pts

2nd year he started 1-3 4 in 8 Oct games (a 41 pt pace) and finished 17g 30a 47 pts

year 3 2-2 4 pts in 12 October games (a 27 pt pace again) and finished with 25g 25a for 50 pts

This year a little better actually with 1g 5 a for 6 pts in 12 games (a 41 pt pace).  He added two pts tonight increasing him to 8 pts in 14 games (a 47 pt pace)  Hopefully Sheary, Casey and Samson carry over their effort today against Ott for the remainder of the season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

59 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Samson in his career has always been a bit of a slow starter.

This is an understatement. Don't we actually want players who play all season???

It will be interesting to see if he has a great second half NOT playing with Eichel. 

To me he is a smart player who positions himself extremely well, but he rarely creates or leads. Very ineffective on his own or in generating much of anything. As the team improves I personally think his role will get smaller and smaller until he is all but irrelevant. Maybe that's wrong, maybe he'll have an incredible second half and be a playoff stud but I really doubt it.  

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Nice commentary on Samson tonight by Vogl in the Athletic.

The guy now has 8 pts in 14 games.  That is a 47 pts pace and he hasn't even begun to score goals.  Samson in his career has always been a bit of a slow starter.

His first year he started 1-3= 4pts in 12 Oct games, a 27 pt pace and finished with 23g 19a for 42 pts

2nd year he started 1-3 4 in 8 Oct games (a 41 pt pace) and finished 17g 30a 47 pts

year 3 2-2 4 pts in 12 October games (a 27 pt pace again) and finished with 25g 25a for 50 pts

This year a little better actually with 1g 5 a for 6 pts in 12 games (a 41 pt pace).  He added two pts tonight increasing him to 8 pts in 14 games (a 47 pt pace)  Hopefully Sheary, Casey and Samson carry over their effort today against Ott for the remainder of the season.

The thing I don't like about those stats are, there is no upward progression in them.  The scoring we got from Sam in year 1 is little different from the scoring we got from Sam in year 3.  And the trend seems to be holding in year 4.  Where is the growth?

It appears that this might be Sam.   There is no more to get from him.

37 minutes ago, Weave said:

The thing I don't like about those stats are, there is no upward progression in them.  The scoring we got from Sam in year 1 is little different from the scoring we got from Sam in year 3.  And the trend seems to be holding in year 4.  Where is the growth?

It appears that this might be Sam.   There is no more to get from him.

I wonder if a possible trade offer comes Botts may do a deal??  

19 minutes ago, Sabre1974 said:

I wonder if a possible trade offer comes Botts may do a deal??  

I don't think we need to trade him.  We still need a stable of good, scoring wingers.  And he is a good, scoring winger.  And I do still expect that his game will mature and he'll be valuable in other ways.  But he just may be a 50 point player.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Every team needs a few of them.

• Like (+1) 2

The stats are why Jbots held firm on a bridge deal. That said Sam is still the 2nd best winger we got.  Also growth from 42 to 50 over 3 seasons is about 20%, and much of his damage last season came with ROR as his center not Jack 5 on 5.  

So Reinhart is adjusting again to a new center; a 19 year old rookie who is just beginning to find his grove.  Yet despite this, as Vogl points out in the Athletic, Samson is playing some decent hockey and is contributing at a faster rate then in seasons past.  

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The stats are why Jbots held firm on a bridge deal. That said Sam is still the 2nd best winger we got.  Also growth from 42 to 50 over 3 seasons is about 20%, and much of his damage last season came with ROR as his center not Jack 5 on 5.  

So Reinhart is adjusting again to a new center; a 19 year old rookie who is just beginning to find his grove.  Yet despite this, as Vogl points out in the Athletic, Samson is playing some decent hockey and is contributing at a faster rate then in seasons past.  

1. 8 points is a typical year to year spread for any scorer.

2. He's still scoring at a rate that results in a points total within the spread of his last 3 years.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

He's still scoring at a rate that results in a points total within the spread of his last 3 years.

...so far.  His history is that scoring typically accelerates through the season, and playing on a wing with an emerging center makes that even more likely.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

...so far.  His history is that scoring typically accelerates through the season, and playing on a wing with an emerging center makes that even more likely.

His history also flatlines at about 47 points/season.  I'm not assuming more until he shows more.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

His history also flatlines at about 47 points/season.  I'm not assuming more until he shows more.

Well, hes from Vancouver, he lives in the offseason in Vancouver....and in the past there were some rumors (nothing too credible, but I know I read stuff online) about a trade to Vancouver....so that might be something to watch for.

21 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

https://theathletic.com/631855/2018/11/03/shift-by-shift-look-reinhart-has-fine-day-as-sabres-get-fans-shouting/

Good article on Samson's game yesterday from Vogl. Sorry to link an article behind a paywall, but worth the read if you have the Athletic. 

This is an excellent review of his game against Ottawa.

47 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I thought he looked pretty good and aggressive in the 1st period last night vs the Rangers but kinda disappeared in the 2nd and 3rd.

We're now 15 games in and holding at one goal.

The shift-by-shift report in The Athletic article gives a really good view of the little things he's doing right.  

I'm going to plug The Athletic right now:  $40/yr seems like a lot, but it really comes down to less than $0.11 per day, and I'm definitely getting a dime's worth of enjoyment from it on a daily basis.  The Buffalo News is almost a dollar per day (the subscription is $27.50 monthly) and there's no way I'd get a dollar's worth of information out of that publication on a daily basis.

Edited by Eleven

24 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The shift-by-shift report in The Athletic article gives a really good view of the little things he's doing right.  

I'm going to plug The Athletic right now:  $40/yr seems like a lot, but it really comes down to less than $0.11 per day, and I'm definitely getting a dime's worth of enjoyment from it on a daily basis.  The Buffalo News is almost a dollar per day (the subscription is $27.50 monthly) and there's no way I'd get a dollar's worth of information out of that publication on a daily basis.

I'll second this promotion, the athletic is well worth the money. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.