UPDATE: Sam Reinhart signs 2-year extension -- $3.65MM per year

dudacek

The draft is done, free agency is mostly done and the big trades are likely done.

The next order of business is signing our RFAs, most importantly Sam Reinhart.

With O'Reilly gone, I think Sam's role will grow to fill parts of that gap.

Sam's back half convinced me that he is a core piece and the ROR trade leads me to think Botterill may think so too.

I would try to pay more now and benefit on the back half — tie him up on a long-term deal, so that we will only have Dahlin and Casey to deal with when we are good.

I'd like to see six years, $30 million.

Comparables this summer

Thomas Hertl: 4 years, $5.64 per

JT Miller: 5 years, $5.25 per

Max Domi: 2 years, $3.1 per

Elias Lindholm: TBD,

Andre Burakovsky: TBD

Over the past few years:

Leon Draisaitl: 8 years, $8.5 per

Evgeny Kuznetsov 8 years, $7.8 per

David Pastrnak 6 years, $6.6 per

Sean Monahan 7 years, $6.3 per

Brandon Saad, 6 years, $6 per

Jonathan Huberdeau 6 years, $5.9 per

Alexander Barkov, 6 years, $5.9 per

Jonathan Drouin 6 years, $5.5 per

Bo Horvat 6 years, $5.5 per

Mika Zibanejad, 5 years, $5.3 per

Alex Wennberg 6 years, $4.9 per

Vincent Trochek, 6 years, 4.75 per

Sean Couturier 6 years, $4.3 per

Edited by dudacek

NFW would I give Reino more than 2 years. I hope I’m wrong, but so far he seems fundamentally unserious and entitled — ie someone who needs external motivation, and exactly the wrong kind of guy to give a long-term deal to.

You're crazy. Sure, give him that 2 year deal and watch him hit UFA with way better numbers and demand way more money

How many years until Reinhart is UFA? Is it 5 or 6 more years? If that's the case, nfw am I doing a 6 year deal. I'm going 2 x 4.5 or I'm going with NS prediction.

It's 7 years or age 27. Reinhart has 4 rfa years left. I'd either do a bridge of 3 years or less or give him an 8 year deal, nothing in between.

I could be mistaken but I don’t think he’s unrestricted for another 4 seasons.

It's 7 years or age 27. Reinhart has 4 rfa years left. I'd either do a bridge of 3 years or less or give him an 8 year deal, nothing in between.

My mistake then. Always thought it was ELC -> RFA -> UFA, and the RFA contract didn't matter for term, as long as it was fulfilled 

NFW would I give Reino more than 2 years. I hope I’m wrong, but so far he seems fundamentally unserious and entitled — ie someone who needs external motivation, and exactly the wrong kind of guy to give a long-term deal to.

I wouldn't be surprised at all that this is the case, and I'd like our cap guru to squeeze him in on a very nice deal because of the uncertainty in Sam Reinhart.

I'd probably go with a 3 year deal since it would still leave him as an RFA at the end of it. He'll be 25 at that point and then if they want to lock him up they can sign him for up to 8 years without the risking of paying him into any declining years.

I'd probably go with a 3 year deal since it would still leave him as an RFA at the end of it. He'll be 25 at that point and then if they want to lock him up they can sign him for up to 8 years without the risking of paying him into any declining years.

Three years from now they are also going to be (hopefully) paying Casey and Dahlin big bucks when their entry level deals expire.

If all three of those guys hit, you could be looking at a $25 million cap hit in one shot.

Pay for some Reinhart UFA years now, benefit later.

If you have to bridge him, two years please, not three.

Edited by dudacek

If they go over $5 million for a guy who looked like he barely belonged in the NHL for half the season it’s a big mistake. This is definitely a situation where I prefer a bridge deal. Two or three years at $4.5M max. Offer 2 at $4.5M or 3 at $4.25M.

Three years from now they are also going to be (hopefully) paying Casey and Dahlin big bucks when their entry level deals expire.

If all three of those guys hit, you could be looking at a $25 million cap hit in one shot.

Pay for some Reinhart UFA years now, benefit later.

If you have to bridge him, two years please, not three.

Good point. I'd go 2 years or 8 years then.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.