What does Botterill do with 3 2019 1st round picks?

WildCard

Action  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Read the thread title you caveman

• Trade all 3
    • Trade 2 of them (SJ and St.Louis)
    • Trade 2 of them (Sabres pick included)
    • Trade one of St.Louis or SJ
    • Use all 3 to pick in 2019

The StL pick is top 10 protected and I'm not sure about the SJ pick. Can a pick that is protected like that be traded since it's not known what year it will be available? Until that is known of course.

Yes. It is simply traded with that protection. If we trade the Blues pick it is just like trading any other pick you put a protection on. 

Also the SJS pick is lottery protected. Both picks should be for next year. I don't see St.Louis suddenly becoming a bottom 10 team and I don't see SJ not making the playoffs. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

Yes. It is simply traded with that protection. If we trade the Blues pick it is just like trading any other pick you put a protection on.

Also the SJS pick is lottery protected. Both picks should be for next year. I don't see St.Louis suddenly becoming a bottom 10 team and I don't see SJ not making the playoffs.

The Sharks pick I believe is rolled to next year if the sharks miss the playoffs, it's not a simple lottery protection. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that.

I think he'll trade at least one. He may trade two. He'll keep at least one. 

I think Ottawa, a team that is about to lose Karlsson and has no 2019 1st round pick, would be an ideal trade partner for one of those picks. A first for a prospect of some kind. Or a prospect and taking Okposo as a cap dump. 

I could see swapping one of the 2019 firsts for a 2020 first just to spread things out a bit. 

He has a lot of options. Those extra picks are great tools. 

Are there other teams that don't have a 2019 1st next year that might want one?

I wouldn't hate him trading Ottawa our first rounder next year, but it being lotto or top-10 protected.

The Sharks pick I believe is rolled to next year if the sharks miss the playoffs, it's not a simple lottery protection. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that.

That was what John Wawrow said he was told by Botterill. If the Snarks miss the playoffs, the Sabres recieve SJ's 1st round pick in 2020 unconditionally.

Whether the Snarks actually win the lottery is immaterial per JW.

That was what John Wawrow said he was told by Botterill. If the Snarks miss the playoffs, the Sabres recieve SJ's 1st round pick in 2020 unconditionally.

Whether the Snarks actually win the lottery is immaterial per JW.

I can't tell if this is a typo or an attempt at making an insulting nickname for them.

I hope he uses one or two of them to engineer a trade for an impact player. 

They still don't have a hands-down #1 goaltender. Maybe that's an option?

I think it’s pretty clear they want to run with Ullmark/Hutton over the next three years as Ullmark transitions from back-up to starter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.