What does Botterill do with 3 2019 1st round picks?

WildCard

Action  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Read the thread title you caveman

• Trade all 3
    • Trade 2 of them (SJ and St.Louis)
    • Trade 2 of them (Sabres pick included)
    • Trade one of St.Louis or SJ
    • Use all 3 to pick in 2019

There are only 2 pieces from Ottawa I have any interest in: Stone and Chabot. We're not getting either of them for our poop.

Well from what I've read Melnyk is solely interested in making that team as lucrative as possible to sell. He's waiting on some development project to finish two years from now, at which point he wants to sell the team. Supposedly that means he wants no bad contracts or money tied to the team whatsoever, to make the sale as profitable as possible. So, Ottawa is 100% a team that would be looking to just stockpile draft picks in exchange for ditching talent that has contracts solely because the owner doesn't care about anything other than how to make the team as cost of running as low as possible in 2 years

Our Lord Erik Karlsson smites thee.

Look, if we flip our assets from the O'Reilly deal into Karlsson, I'll take back everything bad I said about it. But something makes me think that's not in the cards :lol:

We've got extra picks, considerable depth in the prospect pool, and cap flexibility.

We are in a prime position to bid on whatever RFA shakes loose.

Who was the last good RFA to shake loose for mediocre futures?

Well from what I've read Melnyk is solely interested in making that team as lucrative as possible to sell. He's waiting on some development project to finish two years from now, at which point he wants to sell the team. Supposedly that means he wants no bad contracts or money tied to the team whatsoever, to make the sale as profitable as possible. So, Ottawa is 100% a team that would be looking to just stockpile draft picks in exchange for ditching talent that has contracts solely because the owner doesn't care about anything other than how to make the team as cost of running as low as possible in 2 years

Didn't Dorion say he doesn't want to trade in division?

So, Botterill will need someone else to give up something to Ottawa before he can trade with the 3rd party.

I do think one of those picks, if not 2 of them, are moved.

Not so sure it's going to be 3.  That Central division is TOUGH.

It is, and it may take too long for their shiny new toys to gel w/ the rest to make the dance. But they have a playoff quality team on paper & if they miss, would expect them to be on the outs by about 4 points tops. That would place their pick in the 12-15 range & sends it to Buffalo barring a freak lotto combination popping up.

And as to the thread topic, expecting he uses all 3 picks. If not, the 2nd pick shakes loose in a package for a young winger.

Look, if we flip our assets from the O'Reilly deal into Karlsson, I'll take back everything bad I said about it. But something makes me think that's not in the cards :lol:

Who was the last good RFA to shake loose for mediocre futures?

Probably shouldn’t have limited that to RFA, it’s more like RFA-aged player.

I was thinking Schenn, Domi, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Sheary, Tatar, Hartman...

I’m going to keep beating the Minnesota Drum, Fenton has 9.8 Million in Cap Space and Dumba (6.3 Million projected AAV) and Zucker (5.2 Million projected AAV) to sign as RFAs. Something has to give

Zucker, Neiderreiter and Coyle certainly fit.

I’m going to keep beating the Minnesota Drum, Fenton has 9.8 Million in Cap Space and Dumba (6.3 Million projected AAV) and Zucker (5.2 Million projected AAV) to sign as RFAs. Something has to give

I have a hard time thinking something won't happen with Minnesota. We're perfect trade partners.

i'd go full tim murray and trade all three picks for Karlsson (extension in place, obv), because i am out of patience. ottawa won't want to trade in-division but i don't think any other team can offer three first round picks, let alone two of which from teams who missed the playoffs last year. how can they say no to that, knowing they have no pick of their own? (Maybe we can even lottery protect our own since that is the current ridiculous trend of the league.)

that would definitely salvage the ROR deal for me. i know it doesn't fit the mold of a rebuild at all, but i'd be all for EK65 "mentoring" Dahlin. at least we could definitively say our defense has improved. it would likely lead to Risto being dealt eventually but you never know. 

as much as i hate the ROR trade and think it was a step in the wrong direction, there is no arguing that the bottom 6 has improved. a guy like EK on the back end with Dahlin presents hope that our defense will be vastly improved. maybe the team overall could take a step forward this season after all.

i'd go full tim murray and trade all three picks for Karlsson (extension in place, obv), because i am out of patience. ottawa won't want to trade in-division but i don't think any other team can offer three first round picks, let alone two of which from teams who missed the playoffs last year. how can they say no to that, knowing they have no pick of their own? (Maybe we can even lottery protect our own since that is the current ridiculous trend of the league.)

that would definitely salvage the ROR deal for me. i know it doesn't fit the mold of a rebuild at all, but i'd be all for EK65 "mentoring" Dahlin. at least we could definitively say our defense has improved. it would likely lead to Risto being dealt eventually but you never know. 

as much as i hate the ROR trade and think it was a step in the wrong direction, there is no arguing that the bottom 6 has improved. a guy like EK on the back end with Dahlin presents hope that our defense will be vastly improved. maybe the team overall could take a step forward this season after all.

At this point, this is a must, if we're going to send our own first rounder, a potential top five pick, out.

My guess is that he’ll wait until the trade deadline when it’s a bit more clear where the SJ and STL picks will fall. There are a lot of unknowns right now that probably lesson their value.

I love the Karlsson idea but I don’t think that will happen. We need to find a scoring winger. What about a deal with CHI for Pat Kane? Not sure we can absorb his cap hit but that is an organization that will need to start to rebuild and get younger.

Edited by Beer

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.