Fire Jason Botterill

IKnowPhysics

But he made the wrong choice of core. For a mere $900k he could have had a considerably better player. Also, i don't mean to pick on you with this, but you've been pumping Florida's tires seemingly for 5 years now with little to show for it :lol:

I know you're just busting my balls, lol. But, in all fairness, a couple of years ago when Vinny Viola took control of the Panthers, he thought it would be a great idea to have his team run by a GM by committee concept; in turn "demoting" Tallon to President status and no longer the GM. Vinny is a rich guy with a huge ego and he meddled in the team's affairs for a couple of years. The GM by committee deal backfired in a massive way(they were actually responsible for the Marchessault deal). When Viola realized that he made a huge mistake by demoting Tallon and creating the GM by committee, he canned that concept and made Tallon the GM once again. Viola knew he ###### up, and hasn't been heard from ever since. Tallon just sat back, knowing Viola's plan was going to backfire. 

If Viola hadn't meddled in the team's affairs, I would have reason to be pumping their tires right now. But, Viola's plan set them back about two years. Which, in the long run, ended up costing them a Jack Adams winner in Spuddy Gallant. 

The Panthers finished the year by having the best record in the NHL after the All-Star break. They have Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Trochek, Ekblad, Luongo, Reimer, Matheson (who I would trade McCabe for in a heartbeat), Barkov and Yandle signed through 2021. Some of those are signed for even longer.

They finished off the season on a 25-8-2 run. I have no reason to believe this team won't be contenders for several years. 

And if it makes any difference, I'd take Spuddy and Boogie over Housley any day. They are coaches, Housley is a teacher. He is better suited to be an assistant. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This is always whats wrong with the Sabres and the fans, we've been so bad for so long but we want immediate results, he took over a talented but very flawed team and is now making it his own, he traded off a piece on Sunday that many thought was a building block, the return was clear visualization that he was a bad locker room guy and detrimental to the younger core players, we get a top prospect in Thompson and more draft picks along with a veteran C in Berglund who will be in the top 6, all the guys coming back seem to be of good character and seems to be the theme and other prospects are just throw in's but could help the Amerks out and we just signed a G in Hutton that will do wonders for Ullmark, How is 1 half of a season a 1 full draft that's actually our GM's enough to gauge? It's not, hopefully we can continue being patient as part of a fanbase and not want to push every GM out the door because he doesn't get Regier type of players back who never helped anyways.

I am not opposed to trading ROR, but I would have hoped for better and younger prospects coming the other way. Two 30 year olds? WTF? I guess the GM wants to have veterans around some of the young players to guide them with their experience. We'll have to wait and see.

I am not a fan of Housley as a head coach. He showed me nothing in his first year. Why would he suddenly get better?

I'm just not understanding the love for JBott thus far other than blind optimism. He's had one season as an NHL GM and we finished dead last in the league by a fairly wide margin (Ottawa gave us a bit of a run). We had the worst goal differential by a wide margin. We were the only team not to score 200 goals on the season. He did exceedingly little last off-season other than trading for Scandella and acquiring a pile of nobodies. Then he took two of the four/five guys on the roster who can actually put the puck in the net and sent them on their way - both guys in their prime. And, thus far has signed a career backup goalie, Scott "Goodwill" Wilson, Svobotka, Berglund, .... we're terrible. Our roster is a collection of crap with some young, high draft picks sprinkled in. How in the wide world of sports can anyone see any cause for optimism other than the high draft picks we keep getting every year because we suck so badly? Middlestadt and Dahlin should be very good players... but any one of us on this board could create a terrible team then figure out who to draft in the top-10. That's easy. Tearing apart a roster is easy. Until we turn the corner... if that ever happens... I just can't praise any of what JBott is doing. This is a decade of sucking with no end in sight.

*end of rant*

He repaired the foundation which is our AHL talent pipeline. Nothing he would have done would matter until that was taken care of. Murray built a towering house of cards with no foundation underneath which is why it ended up getting blown over when thr slightest wind gust came along. He thoroughly gutted all our picks and prospects to get "win now" type of guys. That doesnt work.

He is building the right way...through the draft and supplementing the roster through trades and FA pickups.

Edited by matter2003

The bottom line on Botterill is this: he has inspired some of the best Sabrespace conversation in months, and pulled Hoss and Sizzle back into the fold. Guy is doing a helluva job as far as my free time is concerned.

Speaking of free time, I’m on a long weekend holiday enjoying some sunshine on my deck.

Shouldn’t most of you guys be at work?

The bottom line on Botterill is this: he has inspired some of the best Sabrespace conversation in months, and pulled Hoss and Sizzle back into the fold. Guy is doing a helluva job as far as my free time is concerned.

Speaking of free time, I’m on a long weekend holiday enjoying some sunshine on my deck.

I woke up with a brutal fever at 3am I'm fighting through. It's 90 out and I opened a window because I'm freezing. And I hate the heat. It's also possible being this sick has contributed to my surliness.

It takes 20m to compile almost anything I do. I have a lot of downtime

And two monitors 

Cell phones are wonderful things and time between cases.

Me either.

The Housley hire I do agree looks questionable, but let's be fair: Murray left JBot with an absolute MESS. I would allow this season to play out and even the 2019 off season before throwing too many stones at Botterill.

We needed this GM when Eichel was drafted, and now we have him and we are frustrated and impatient I get that completely.

unfortunately I think he was left with Murrays mess but is making his own mess now 

You know what would have been cohesive organizational strategy that would make me feel better about these guys? 

Since apparently Reinhart is now back in the center plans, and we needed to move on from ROR, it would have been nice to see Sam play there again during our "evaluation period" where we kept right on doing the same exact things that put us in a 60-point-pace evaluation period rather than playing meaningful hockey.

Housley was a respected coach and Hall of fame player but one season in Buffalo makes him uninspiring and in over his head?

Respected head coach of whom?    Just because you are a Hall of Fame player doesn't make you a good coach... see Gretzky, Wayne.  

He's did well with a stacked defense in NSH... big deal.     

He let the locker room in Buffalo spin out of control, he doesn't have the players respect (they take nights off), and his line combinations are questionable at best.

I'm still waiting for somebody say... "boy that Phil Housley is such a great coach, he has these guys playing hard and showing up for every game.    Player X, Y and Z are having career years... Player A has come such a long way from last season... etc etc...".    I've not read or heard that from anybody at any point last season.     Reinhart had a great second half, but in his exist interview he said "I just said it, and started playing my own game".     If that's not a shot at the coach, then I don't know what is. 

If Housley wasn't ready to be head coach, then maybe they should've put Taylor in BUF and Housley in ROCH... that decision falls on JBOTs shoulders.

Edited by pi2000

Since my kidneys are gone, I'd trade my [redacted] to go back in time and establish a president of hockey operations to go forward with the hiring processes to come. 

Not sure what to make of your kidney comment (?) but I agree. At this point, I'm not a fan of Housley because he doesn't seem to be a player's coach. But, I'm not going to judge based on one year. There are plenty of coaches in the league who I don't consider "player's coaches" that are doing quite well. And as much as I despise the O'Reilly trade, I'm not going to Botterill yet either. I just think it's a dumb idea to hire a rookie GM and head coach at the same time. Experience has to come into play at some point. 

You can always trade a nut.  :lol:

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Not sure what to make of your kidney comment (?) but I agree. At this point, I'm not a fan of Housley because he doesn't seem to be a player's coach. But, I'm not going to judge based on one year. There are plenty of coaches in the league who I don't consider "player's coaches" that are doing quite well. And as much as I despise the O'Reilly trade, I'm not going to Botterill yet either. I just think it's a dumb idea to hire a rookie GM and head coach at the same time. Experience has to come into play at some point. 

You can always trade a nut.  :lol:

I traded both of my kidneys away in Sabre-regret over the past 24 hours :P 

I think this is about what's happening. I'd take it a step further, though, and observe that JBOT has gone so far as to jack hammer into the basement floor and is laying new pipe, etc.

The Knights certainly caught lightning in a bottle. Of course, they weren't cleaning up a mess that prior GMs had left behind, and they had the benefit of an expansion draft with very favourable terms.

And they started with a team salary of $0

terrible trade hated it. Like the 1st rounder but that's it. A 2nd in 3 years cmon! another Gm in over their heads gets taken to the cleaners. Not sure how the national media thinks we have won this trade hands down. We got their 5th best prospect and 2 salary dumps. I wanted to trade o'rielly but I thought wed get something useful in the deal/ Even the 1st rounder is a crapshoot because itll be late. Ive had just about enough of this team

Odds are that the main motivation on Sunday was to not have to pay the bonus due at the end of the day. That may not have been Jason's decision.

The problem is that none of us wanted to see a second tear-down and re-build, and that's what we're getting.  Maybe he's right to do it; maybe not--but none of us wanted to see it.

This^^

I think when the first rebuild was done incorrectly what choice was left.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.