Fire Jason Botterill

IKnowPhysics

Some of us are sick of waiting. Building a playoff team shouldn't take close to a decade. Pegula is a fool for hiring two rookies to lead this team. For a guy with deep pockets and no care in how much he spends, his teams aren't doing a damn thing. 

Well, I know you know that the Bills finally made the playoffs, and are finally run by a group of non-bozos, and finally drafted a potential franchise QB.

I think the Sabres, too, finally have the right guy running things.

TP hasn't delivered results yet, but it's not for lack of trying. 

Maybe we judge Botterill on the results of this off-season rather than how well it satisfies our fantasy GM leanings?

I seem to remember most people were quite happy with what Murray did in 2015.

Murray's 2015-16 season beat anything Botts has been shown to do by 20 points :P

But really, I agree that firing isn't in the cards unless this season is a replica of last. That just doesn't need to happen ever, no excuse suffices. 

He who gifted Vegas 2/3 of a top line for the sake of protecting Nick Bjugstad?

It was actually to clear space for Dadonov. Who was arguably one of the best free agent signings of last year. Dadonov and Barkov combined for 55 goals and 143 points. 

It had nothing to do with Bjugstad. 

Well, I know you know that the Bills finally made the playoffs, and are finally run by a group of non-bozos, and finally drafted a potential franchise QB.

Potential.................... I've heard that term a lot over the last 10-15 years. 

I won't deny he's not trying. He's just not very good at getting it done. 

No person in their right mind hires a rookie GM and head coach at the same time. This team is a train wreck. 

It was actually to clear space for Dadonov. Who was arguably one of the best free agent signings of last year. Dadonov and Barkov combined for 55 goals and 143 points. 

It had nothing to do with Bjugstad. 

Marchessault made $750k last year. They didn't have to lose him to add Dadonov. Meanwhile Bjugstad makes $4.1 million, a whopping $900k less than Marchessault's new contract, so if you absolutely had to clear out cash, it could have been done this offseason.

Ah my mistake. Yeah I actually really like Tallon. I give him the credit over Bowman for Chicago's success

It's alright, my bad for not being more specific. The Blackhawks players actually lobbied for the league to give Tallon a Cup ring and get his name on the Cup after their first win, even though he wasn't around when they won in 2010. 

Marchessault made $750k last year. They didn't have to lose him to add Dadonov. Meanwhile Bjugstad makes $4.1 million, a whopping $900k less than Marchessault's new contract, so if you absolutely had to clear out cash, it could have been done this offseason.

Tallon had bigger things in mind and didn't want to make the mistake of wrapping up too much cap space in two or three players like he did in Chicago. He planned for long term stability. He's left himself a little breathing room under the cap, and still has the core signed for at least the next four years. 

Count on the Panthers being contenders for a while. 

It's alright, my bad for not being more specific. The Blackhawks players actually lobbied for the league to give Tallon a Cup ring and get his name on the Cup after their first win, even though he wasn't around when they won in 2010. 

Tallon had bigger things in mind and didn't want to make the mistake of wrapping up too much cap space in two or three players like he did in Chicago. He planned for long term stability. He's left himself a little breathing room under the cap, and still has the core signed for at least the next four years. 

Count on the Panthers being contenders for a while. 

But he made the wrong choice of core. For a mere $900k he could have had a considerably better player. Also, i don't mean to pick on you with this, but you've been pumping Florida's tires seemingly for 5 years now with little to show for it :lol:

Here's something else about JB:  there aren't many big moves he's made that have had enough time to ripen into a state where it's fair to evaluate them.  I don't think there's been a big move that has proven to be a failure.

Scandella -- good move

Mittlestadt -- looks good (this could certainly be categorized as too soon)

Housley -- too soon to evaluate

Kane trade -- too soon

ROR trade  -- too soon

Fasching trade -- too soon

Hutton -- too soon

Beaulieu -- we've probably seen enough, but it was a minor move

Antipin -- same

Chad Johnson -- minor move

Pouliot -- minor move

Josefsson -- minor move

Wilson -- minor move

If he doesn't have the guts to fire Phil by Christmas after another putrid start, then yes.. he needs to go.

It takes guts to panic and pull the trigger after a short period of time, in a year where he clearly (thus far) has shown he has no intentions of going for it?

I agree completely on JBots. I’m somewhat disappointed on the return for Kane and ROR, but I don’t think it was a lack of trying. However, from a general standpoint, I think he has done a great job rebuilding our pipeline and finally put the rebuild on the track it should have been on in the first place; building from within. Time will tell, but TM destroyed this organization and sadly it’s going to take time to rebuild.

It takes guts to panic and pull the trigger after a short period of time, in a year where he clearly (thus far) has shown he has no intentions of going for it?

If they're last place and not showing any signs of life by Christmas, Phil is not the right guy to lead this team.    Players are not developing under his tutelage.  When the entire team as a whole is severely underachieving, it's a coaching issue. 

How would you evaluate Phil this coming season?  Does he get a free pass no matter what happens?

If they're last place and not showing any signs of life by Christmas, Phil is not the right guy to lead this team.    Players are not developing under his tutelage.  When the entire team as a whole is severely underachieving, it's a coaching issue. 

How would you evaluate Phil this coming season?  Does he get a free pass no matter what happens?

I'd give him the full year for sure. I don't give him a free pass no matter what, but I don't think firing him has anything to do with a lack of guts or anything.

I'm just not understanding the love for JBott thus far other than blind optimism. He's had one season as an NHL GM and we finished dead last in the league by a fairly wide margin (Ottawa gave us a bit of a run). We had the worst goal differential by a wide margin. We were the only team not to score 200 goals on the season. He did exceedingly little last off-season other than trading for Scandella and acquiring a pile of nobodies. Then he took two of the four/five guys on the roster who can actually put the puck in the net and sent them on their way - both guys in their prime. And, thus far has signed a career backup goalie, Scott "Goodwill" Wilson, Svobotka, Berglund, .... we're terrible. Our roster is a collection of crap with some young, high draft picks sprinkled in. How in the wide world of sports can anyone see any cause for optimism other than the high draft picks we keep getting every year because we suck so badly? Middlestadt and Dahlin should be very good players... but any one of us on this board could create a terrible team then figure out who to draft in the top-10. That's easy. Tearing apart a roster is easy. Until we turn the corner... if that ever happens... I just can't praise any of what JBott is doing. This is a decade of sucking with no end in sight.

*end of rant*

I'm just not understanding the love for JBott thus far other than blind optimism. He's had one season as an NHL GM and we finished dead last in the league by a fairly wide margin (Ottawa gave us a bit of a run). We had the worst goal differential by a wide margin. We were the only team not to score 200 goals on the season. He did exceedingly little last off-season other than trading for Scandella and acquiring a pile of nobodies. Then he took two of the four/five guys on the roster who can actually put the puck in the net and sent them on their way - both guys in their prime. And, thus far has signed a career backup goalie, Scott "Goodwill" Wilson, Svobotka, Berglund, .... we're terrible. Our roster is a collection of crap with some young, high draft picks sprinkled in. How in the wide world of sports can anyone see any cause for optimism other than the high draft picks we keep getting every year because we suck so badly? Middlestadt and Dahlin should be very good players... but any one of us on this board could create a terrible team then figure out who to draft in the top-10. That's easy. Tearing apart a roster is easy. Until we turn the corner... if that ever happens... I just can't praise any of what JBott is doing. This is a decade of sucking with no end in sight.

*end of rant*

excellent

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.