Fire Jason Botterill

IKnowPhysics

I'm not on this train. 

Me either.

The Housley hire I do agree looks questionable, but let's be fair: Murray left JBot with an absolute MESS. I would allow this season to play out and even the 2019 off season before throwing too many stones at Botterill.

We needed this GM when Eichel was drafted, and now we have him and we are frustrated and impatient I get that completely.

The problem is that none of us wanted to see a second tear-down and re-build, and that's what we're getting.  Maybe he's right to do it; maybe not--but none of us wanted to see it.

I think this sums it up nicely. I don't like the overall direction he's going in, but I'm not going to fire him for it, either. I'll happily fire him for failing to execute it, of course. But we won't know that for another couple of seasons.

The problem is that none of us wanted to see a second tear-down and re-build, and that's what we're getting.  Maybe he's right to do it; maybe not--but none of us wanted to see it.

I wish he was in charge in 2007, he would have let Vanek go and we would have been better for it!

This is my take. The context matters. A tear-down can easily be sold to fans when you have a team of aging vets who weren't quite good enough to get you to the promised land (e.g. Vancouver with the Sedins). But, we just had a tear-down and our core guys are presumably already here in Dahlin, Risto, Jack, Samson, and Mittelstadt. We don't need more picks. We need to surround the young talent we have with some solid veterans who can help them develop. I just don't think we're in the "trade your vets for picks" phase any more.

This is my take. The context matters. A tear-down can easily be sold to fans when you have a team of aging vets who weren't quite good enough to get you to the promised land (e.g. Vancouver with the Sedins). But, we just had a tear-down and our core guys are presumably already here in Dahlin, Risto, Jack, Samson, and Mittelstadt. We don't need more picks. We need to surround the young talent we have with some solid veterans who can help them develop. I just don't think we're in the "trade your vets for picks" phase any more.

And they could very well be approaching the point of moving picks to supplement the roster.  Time will tell with that.  What we shouldn't do is be held accountable for the sins of previous GMs.  If he is handed a team that needs a ton of reshuffling, he needs to do exactly that regardless of what just happened a couple years before he got here.  All of that is sunk at this point.  Sure it sucks for us the fans, but if Botterill seriously believes something needs to be done to make this organization better, he needs to do exactly that.  Screw the fans.

We were considerably more competitive with Vanek than Edmonton was with those picks.

Turning those picks into Dustin Penner will do that to you.

And they could very well be approaching the point of moving picks to supplement the roster.  Time will tell with that.  What we shouldn't do is be held accountable for the sins of previous GMs.  If he is handed a team that needs a ton of reshuffling, he needs to do exactly that regardless of what just happened a couple years before he got here.  All of that is sunk at this point.  Sure it sucks for us the fans, but if Botterill seriously believes something needs to be done to make this organization better, he needs to do exactly that.  Screw the fans.

Turning those picks into Dustin Penner will do that to you.

Im hating on Darcy right now and his pain quote... but he did curse the Sabres... nuck.

If he takes all/some of the three 1st round picks we have next year (ours, San Jose, St. Louis) and uses them for a talented player who can help us right now then I can live with the recent "tear down" moves. But, if he plans to keep acquiring picks ad nauseum then the current core will be gone before we can field a winning team.

In most businesses, yes, I agree that (the equivalent of) the "fans" don't matter. Do what you need to do. Sports is a bit different in that there are dual goals. One is a championship, but I would argue that the other is profit with the product being entertainment. Fielding last place teams every year obviously hurt with the latter.

Too early to tell. Tearing down the rotten structure may be what we need and then rebuilding correctly. Seems he has a plan but unfortunately we have to be patient 2 more years.

Some of us are sick of waiting. Building a playoff team shouldn't take close to a decade. Pegula is a fool for hiring two rookies to lead this team. For a guy with deep pockets and no care in how much he spends, his teams aren't doing a damn thing. 

Here is a real GM. Botterill could learn a lot from him. He's got his entire core signed through at least 2021, and at a good rate. He hired a player's coach and not a teacher. He had the best record in the NHL after the All-Star game when the team got used to Boogie's coaching style. 

Buffalo fans are strong and supportive, but some can only wait so long. I've waited long enough. I lived in SoFL since the Panther's inauguration. Now my closest team is either the Hurricanes or the Preds.

I'll watch Sabres games, but it might be time to move on and follow somebody else. This is tiresome. 

I mean to be fair McPhee wasn't exactly a wizard in Washington. Dude did make the Foresberg trade after all

And just gave Ryan Reaves nearly $3 million for 2 season to play 7 minutes per game.

Right. I can't knock the guy for going to the SC Finals, they certainly did a helluva lot better job than we did, but let's not act like McPhee really had some tough decisions to make in regards of who to take from which team; the expansion draft was pretty nicely set up for Vegas. I will give him credit for Gallant though

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.