Meet Tage Thompson

WildCard

I'm seeing a trend here.... park him in the slot and tell him to shoot!

After looking at this UConn highlight video, I think JBot is thinking enough with the skating and speed and stuff, at some point you just need a guy who can finish.

I think he might turn out to be a good NHL player.

For a big man, he seems to be able to cut well and has a rocket of a shot.  Him and Oloffson look like they be able to compete for the hardest shot along with Jack.  Not bad moves.  His skating while not blistering, doesn't look bad and he seems to know where to go based on highlights.  If he can keep developing, maybe he could work out.  Like his size.  Hmmm. 

Blues fan: Thompson is a RW.

He has really great hands and stick handling, and a very good shot. His skating is "meh" but typical for a guy his size. For his size he isn't physical. If you watched him in STL last year you'd see he just kinda floats around a lot, but when he has the puck on his stick he is dangerous, but doesn't use his teammates well.

He reminds me a lot of Blake Wheeler (though he doesn't have the skating that Wheeler has). I can see him being a late bloomer who grows into his body and learns to use it while developing his all around game, and I can also see him being a poor man's Eric Daze- a guy who might get you 15-20 goals once in awhile but ultimately is a disappointment. 

I like him and hope he does well but he might be one of those "no toolbox" guys ultimately. I hope he works out for oyu guys.

Another Blues fan: As a season ticket holder watching Thompson last year, a couple of points come to mind. First, the kid is big and has a wicked, fast release wrist shot. The only problem is that he is tentative to shoot and holds onto it too long. He really needs to put on another 20lbs, he is big but lanky and gets pushed around a lot when he's on the boards and thus loses puck battles. He tends to shy away from contact, but that may be a byproduct of his lack of bulk. His skating is a little slow and choppy for a big guy (compared to say Parayko), and his edge work needs some help. But again, he's young and kind of gangly right now, think of a puppy growing into his adult body. Due to the massive amount of injuries last season, he was rushed up to the NHL. He really needed last year and probably this year in the minors. He had a little bit of power play time, but it was really unproductive. His ceiling is probably a second line winger, but I wouldn't be surprised if he start as a third liner for a few years while he gets more man-strength to go with his size advantage.

If you can afford to put him in the minors next year, I think he will do much better in the long run. I don't see him being a power forward as he doesn't really do contact well, but with his wrist shot, he'd be a good forward on the half boards moving to the center to shoot. I liked the guy, but he's slipped in the prospect list to where Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, and Bokk are more highly listed.

Another Blues fan: As a season ticket holder watching Thompson last year, a couple of points come to mind. First, the kid is big and has a wicked, fast release wrist shot. The only problem is that he is tentative to shoot and holds onto it too long. He really needs to put on another 20lbs, he is big but lanky and gets pushed around a lot when he's on the boards and thus loses puck battles. He tends to shy away from contact, but that may be a byproduct of his lack of bulk. His skating is a little slow and choppy for a big guy (compared to say Parayko), and his edge work needs some help. But again, he's young and kind of gangly right now, think of a puppy growing into his adult body. Due to the massive amount of injuries last season, he was rushed up to the NHL. He really needed last year and probably this year in the minors. He had a little bit of power play time, but it was really unproductive. His ceiling is probably a second line winger, but I wouldn't be surprised if he start as a third liner for a few years while he gets more man-strength to go with his size advantage.

If you can afford to put him in the minors next year, I think he will do much better in the long run. I don't see him being a power forward as he doesn't really do contact well, but with his wrist shot, he'd be a good forward on the half boards moving to the center to shoot. I liked the guy, but he's slipped in the prospect list to where Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, and Bokk are more highly listed.

So a Luke Adam type...  at least Pyatt used his body.

https://dobberprospects.com/player/tage-thompson/

Anyone have anything else on him? Couldn't really find anything recent 

I was thinking of Logan Stanley last night not Tage Thompson (sorry everyone) and I know that Thompson has a canon shot and his skating is ok. He's not a burner but he's also not Cody Franson out there. 

He had me up until his parents named him Tage.

Lots of chuckles available here this morning. Thanks for this one.

Kris Baker suggested he was rushed by St. Louis and that a season in Roch. could be in the cards.

Hear, hear. As Doohickie has posted many times over the past few days: JBOT is intent on building something good in Roch. And I support that plan -- slow though it will be to develop and pay dividends in Buffalo.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'd be curious to see exactly how he wound up at UCONN.  Some of their higher rated guys have been players who were originally recruited somewhere else but then failed to meet admission standards.  I can't find anything to suggest that he was committed to another school though.  It's possible that he was a big recruit just as they were making the jump to hockey east.

I think he should start in Rochester. Get him in the weight room and get him a skating coach and start him in Rochester. 

This is the feeling I have right now.  Start him out in the AHL and then maybe he winds up being an early full time recall, sort of like what happened with Pominville years ago (ignore the age difference).

Blues fan: Thompson is a RW.

He has really great hands and stick handling, and a very good shot. His skating is "meh" but typical for a guy his size. For his size he isn't physical. If you watched him in STL last year you'd see he just kinda floats around a lot, but when he has the puck on his stick he is dangerous, but doesn't use his teammates well.

He reminds me a lot of Blake Wheeler (though he doesn't have the skating that Wheeler has). I can see him being a late bloomer who grows into his body and learns to use it while developing his all around game, and I can also see him being a poor man's Eric Daze- a guy who might get you 15-20 goals once in awhile but ultimately is a disappointment. 

I like him and hope he does well but he might be one of those "no toolbox" guys ultimately. I hope he works out for oyu guys.

Tyler Myers. That's freaking Tyler Myers. 

Who is now a mainstay on a good defense in Winnipeg.

Playing in the right situation, Tyler Myers is alright. But he's still exactly what everyone thought he was, a 3-4th defender; he never learned to use his body or be anything more when he could have been

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.