Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

7 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I think an F grade is extremely unreasonable. The trade has been discussed to such a BS status that I won't get into it again. Too many people with too much hindsight, theories, crystal balls, tarot cards, ouiji boards and such without any real facts.

Skinner trade was A+ for us....but may have been better for Carolina. They might be in the playoffs and don't have to re-sign Skinner. Gotta wonder if just being closer to home is worth it to Skinner.

Skinner trade is only an A+ if he re-signs here, if not it's much lower because it resulted in nothing but Skinner improving his value after 1 season here and leaving. The trade does nothing for the Sabres except for giving up picks and a prospect to let Skinner improve his value.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Who could blame him?

Every person on here who has blamed Berglund for leaving?

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

You're assuming ROR would have stayed and played well. I'm not. 

He lost his love for the game. He could be with Bergland right now.

Exactly this. And for that matter.. the Blues are a better team than the Sabres.

Just because they were losing in the beginning of the season doesn't make them a bad team. It just means they were going through a bad stretch. They had poor defense and poor goaltending.  They've fixed that. They also got rid of Mike Yeo who has proven he can't lead a team.

No, the answer is not fire Housley.  Berube is able to do with the roster what Yeo could not.  Housley doesn't have the roster that should be winning. 

It's time to move on.

2 hours ago, woods-racer said:

You're assuming ROR would have stayed and played well. I'm not. 

He lost his love for the game. He could be with Bergland right now.

He played well all last year with us. I don't believe he lost his love for the game, just got sick of the same crap we are all sick of. Doesn't mean he lost his love for the game, just like we haven't stopped following the team.

4 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

He played well all last year with us. I don't believe he lost his love for the game, just got sick of the same crap we are all sick of. Doesn't mean he lost his love for the game, just like we haven't stopped following the team.

So he lied when he said he lost his love for the game?

https://buffalonews.com/2018/04/09/sabres-oreilly-says-he-lost-love-of-game-lacked-mental-toughness/

46 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

No, he said he lost it at times.  He obviously has it back.  If you're happy with the trade, that's great. I think we did a crappy job, as usual.

He has it back now after he got traded, would he have kept it had he stayed in Buffalo?

My assumption to this....

JBott had a heart to heart with ROR and they both felt a change of scenery would be best.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

He has it back now after he got traded, would he have kept it had he stayed in Buffalo?

My assumption to this....

JBott had a heart to heart with ROR and they both felt a change of scenery would be best.

Possibly, that's what happens with poorly run franchises. Good players would rather be elsewhere given the opportunity. Which might be why they perform better after.

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

No, he said he lost it at times.  He obviously has it back.  If you're happy with the trade, that's great. I think we did a crappy job, as usual.

He said he lost it.  That's different than what you had said.  That's all.

I'm not happy with the trade.  I'd prefer to have a player of ROR's talent on the roster. That said, I'm not lamenting him being gone either. It was clear something was not right and I have faith that the people who are paid a lot of money to make it right knew enough about the situation to make a move. It might not be the move they wanted to make, but life is about decisions and what comes next.

It's over. He's gone. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Going back to the Briere/Drury fiasco, management has committed non stop blunders since.  You have to, to be this bad for this long. Other teams have started rebuilds later and are contenders in a way shorter time. 

But that covers 2 separate owners, at least 4 different people in the president/ head of hockey operations role, 3 different GM's, and at least 5 different coaches.

Management isn't monolithic & frustrating as it is, Botterill's & Housley 's clocks cover only this & last season.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.