Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

This and this.

Whatever the reason, it’s pretty obvious this was addition by subtraction as far as JBot was concerned and all he was doing was trying to maximize the return.

Too bad he failed on that point.

I do wonder if he has anything else up his sleeve. We need it.

I'd imagine a sizable Reinhart extension is on the way. Maybe we can work another Sheary-like deal for a team in cap trouble? I'm not expecting anything huge, though. His timetable is not this season.

So if you trade out Parayko for Thompson In this deal is their a more favorable reaction for Sabres fans?

If it,wasmThomas or Kyrou or Dunn it would have at least given them something tonuse this year, to you know try and win. On a day when the path through the division became the QEW, we traded our AKs for flintlocks.

I'd imagine a sizable Reinhart extension is on the way. Maybe we can work another Sheary-like deal for a team in cap trouble? I'm not expecting anything huge, though. His timetable is not this season.

This hurts so much to read every time you post it. Stop it man, you're killing me here!

This hurts so much to read every time you post it. Stop it man, you're killing me here!

Ben Franklin once said (paraphrasing) that beer is how we know God wants us to be happy. I respectfully disagree. Beer is how we know God knew life would suck, so he gave us something to help cope. I suggest you get with the supplied coping mechanism :p

Am I the only one who believes this happened largely because ROR wanted it to?

Definitely not.  I posted earlier today that if there wasn't a major problem with the guy, the absolute earliest they'd even think of trading him is next summer.  

I think we're going to hear a lot this week about ROR's time in Buffalo that won't reflect well on him.  And I don't think JB is done making moves.

Well, one of them, a 2 2 years from now, 2 bags of ###### and a marginal prospect will get you ROR so I guess you are right.

We've got a bunch of bags of ######, picks several years from now and marginal prospects so we should be able to do that sort of deal at least twice.

:lol: 

We're the salary cap dump of the NHL. Minnesota wanted to dump Pommer's salary - JBotts took him. The Pens wanted to dump salary - Hundwick and Sheary to Buffalo. The Blues wanted to shed Berglund and Sobotka's contracts. …c'mon, we'll put you on the ice in Buffalo!

Maybe it did, but I've never really understood this from a team perspective. If it's not affecting the on-ice play, who cares? And if O'Reilly decided to tank it next season, it's not like his trade value would have been much worse. Hell, maybe we'd have been able to trade him without getting "players" (see also: bad contracts) in return!

I think the worst part about all this is that they took a couple of salary dumps and still ended up without one of their top 5 prospects?

Its funny how JBotts says the asking price would have been much different if they paid the bonus since they took back almost the exact amount of the bonus in a cap dump.

This leads me to believe that they think both those guys are valuable assetts and not dumps.

With this deal, they saved paying ROR 7.5 mil for next season, but took in almost the exact amount in contracts to players that are not living up to them.

If they paid the bonus would thay have taken the deal as just a first, 2nd and Thompson?

Ben Franklin once said (paraphrasing) that beer is how we know God wants us to be happy. I respectfully disagree. Beer is how we know God knew life would suck, so he gave us something to help cope. I suggest you get with the supplied coping mechanism :P

Gonna need a bigger coping mechanism than just beer for tonight

Jameson it is!

MORE CAP DUMPS YAY!!! Maybe we can get Dustin Brown from LA - he's only got 4 x 5.875 left on his epic ###### deal.  They could package him up with a 2024 2nd round pick

Botterill has no plans to win this year or probably next. Might as well use that window to absorb bad contracts to gain assets. It'd at least be logical.

And since when has daddy warbucks cared about 7.5 mil? The ask goes up sure. But what was the freaking hurry? Make that payment and Az, Car and maybe even SJ and Ana become suitors. Certainly the Isles would have joined in the fray and there is the smoking wreck in Ott. If ROR had to be moved don’t use the facetious payment timeline as an excuse for this skow of garbage in return.

We're the salary cap dump of the NHL. Minnesota wanted to dump Pommer's salary - JBotts took him. The Pens wanted to dump salary - Hundwick and Sheary to Buffalo. The Blues wanted to shed Berglund and Sobotka's contracts. …c'mon, we'll put you on the ice in Buffalo!

Sheary aside, this trend is...not great

Edited by WildCard

I think the worst part about all this is that they took a couple of salary dumps and still ended up without one of their top 5 prospects?

Its funny how JBotts says the asking price would have been much different if they paid the bonus since they took back almost the exact amount of the bonus in a cap dump.

This leads me to believe that they think both those guys are valuable assetts and not dumps.

With this deal, they saved paying ROR 7.5 mil for next season, but took in almost the exact amount in contracts to players that are not living up to them.

If they paid the bonus would thay have taken the deal as just a first, 2nd and Thompson?

Right. If we had gotten Thomas or Kyrou, I wouldn't have liked the trade, but I wouldn't be ranting about it either. It would have made sense, even if I disagreed with the chosen direction. 

But if reports are true, Botterill had targeted Thompson. Ugh.

Right. If we had gotten Thomas or Kyrou, I wouldn't have liked the trade, but I wouldn't be ranting about it either. It would have made sense, even if I disagreed with the chosen direction. 

But if reports are true, Botterill had targeted Thompson. Ugh.

This can't be true, can it?

I probably did, but it didn’t have to be rushed and for amcrap return. Pegula could afford the 7.5 to do it right and get something valuable in return. Look at how much unproductive cap,we are carrying for the next 4 years. Banner day at the Bender household.

Botterill's coach gave ROR 32 defensive zone starts per 60 minutes, when Bergeron is the only player to score more than a few points and touch 30 in that stat since it was recorded, and never touched 31. ROR is as dominant in that record as one can be in a rate stat. He also is a lead PKer. 

ROR responds with suppressed even strength production in this role, despite every underlying metric suggesting it was actually his strongest even strength performance as a Sabre. His PDO was in the 96es because of his usage. Despite the suppressed even strength results, he was a 61 point center with excellent two-way play, routinely outperforming every teammate in the toughest role and still elevating the play of literally every player to touch the ice with him. 

Any predictive stat in the world will tell you that his production stands to increase FROM 61 POINTS with different usage, AND THEN AGAIN with better linemates. 

If you have to trade a guy because of off-ice stuff, whatever. I might not agree it's as big a problem, but whatever. 

Don't artificially suppress his value for months on end for no ###### reason when no good team has any 2nd best offensive player relied upon as such. 

Let's be clear. Berglund is a guy Blues fans have been hoping to ditch since before his most recent contract, which they f*cking hated. Sobotka, a great defensive forward until this past season, is firmly in cap-dump territory. They're bodies in the same way that Okposo is a body. Go back, watch any game, and tell me what this team needs is an Okposo on every single line. Do it. Actually don't, because I will punch you in your mouth.

If ROR is a dollar, we traded him for two quarters, a dime, and two anti-nickels. We took two cap dumps and didn't get an unprotected first OR a top FIVE St. Louis Bules prospect. Whatever way you turn this, this deal is ###### stupid and the trail of sh!t that led to this mountain of festering, rotting garbage return has been called out and criticized by people with actual f*cking day jobs and lives apart from this hobby for the last 10 f*cking months. 

In the last 5 years, there were 5 last place finishers. Ttwo made the playoffs the season following their disaster. The other team accounted for the other 3 finishes. We are that team, and we decided that despite every other franchise building good hockey teams in reasonable time frames, we must extend our tank and our stank untold amounts of time in the future, while our ###### coach with ###### usage is just as ###### as the last five, while our ###### owner presides over a streak that is more than twice as bad as the franchise's previous worst. While our grandmothers sit back and wonder if they'll even get to see another playoff game (mine did today), while our teenage sisters are a wreck as I tell her about how we just traded the reason she started watching hockey and described what we got in return. 

Thank you Sabres? F*ck you Sabres.

beautifully written. i love you

Which is fine when you actually get assets.  What we got today was ######.

Yeah, taking the 2 bad contracts should have increased the level of prospect in the return

Although from what it sounds like, JBotts had a hard on for Thompson and probably got the 2 picks in return for the bad contracts.....

I’m pretty sure Botterill sees the two vets as more than cap dumps.

I haven’t watched them much recently, so they may be as done as Pominville, but they used to be pretty good.

I hate the trade, but all of my bitching aside, Berglund actually is (or at least was) a pretty good player.

Which is fine when you actually get assets.  What we got today was ######.

Well, yea. I'm with you there :lol:

I’m pretty sure Botterill sees the two vets as more than cap dumps.

I haven’t watched them much recently, so they may be as done as Pominville, but they used to be pretty good.

As you said, they're upgrades on Larsson and Pouliot. But that probably shouldn't be the bar at which a ROR trade is measured :lol:

Currently, on their best days, they're 3rd line players. On their worst? Hello 4th baby! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.