Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

GM Bobblehead is the laughingstock of the NHL. I wasn’t a fan of his hire, but I had to give him a chance. He blew it. Doing nothing to help the roster during the season helped create the locker room dysfunction. The team saw no help come in the door from waiver moves or otherwise. Taking on cap dumps in Pominville Hunwick and now Sobotdka and berglund without adding any quality propspect is unconscionable. I don’t care if ROR was the second coming of Jack,the Ripper, he was our Jack the Ripper and worth a hell of a lot more. But there is a bigger issue and that is why this ninny was hired in the first place and the two people who hired him did so. This idea of Pegula type people is why Bobblehead is here instead of a seasoned NHL GM. They like certain traits that do not have anything to do with building a winning hockey team.

I was never a fan of the original trade for ROR not because he was a bad player but because I thought it was a hastily thought out way to accelerate a rebuild that was gonna take time. A timing issue and created unreasonable expectations on the timeline. But the timing of this is worse. He just told Jack, Sam Casey and Dahlin that your time is not now. Wait three to five years. I have not felt this angry at Sabres management since the Drury Briere fiasco. This sucks.

From my perspective, JBot doesn't have a clue. His strategy is Trump-like in that he appears to be simply trying to undo the moves of his predecessor. Murray's big acquisitions were O'Reilly and Evander Kane. JBots jettisons them for a pile of garbage and more picks. At what point do we actually try to field a winning team? Every year it is "wait until next year"....

We got the Blues' 9th, 10th and 18th leading scorers from last season, two of whom are over 30, for one of the best two-way centers in the league in his prime. The optics aren't good on this one. At all.

I disagree. Jack, Darin and Samson won't be in their primes for years yet. By the time they are this group of draft picks, player (Thompson) will have shaken out, with the picks next year, and hopefully some real talent gets found. I like stocking the pond--no trading away picks!

It's worth pointing out again -- literally no one was raving about how much they loved ROR during the season.  But suddenly he became the god of 2-way centers when he threw a temper tantrum on locker clean-out day.

And if the guy was openly being a PITA in the room, he had to go.  Enough already.

that is silly logic. there is no reason to go around saying how great o'reilly is when he is our own property (under contract for many more years) and universally considered a pretty good player around the league. of course people are going to stand up and voice their opinions about how good o'reilly once it became possible they would trade him.

Also, Turris is way better than Berglund and Sobotka. Minor detail, though ;)

Edit: If we had gotten a Turris-level player back, I wouldn't be bitching at all.

There you go again reading things into my post that I didn’t say. ???? Edited by dudacek

GM Bobblehead is the laughingstock of the NHL. I wasn’t a fan of his hire, but I had to give him a chance. He blew it. Doing nothing to help the roster during the season helped create the locker room dysfunction. The team saw no help come in the door from waiver moves or otherwise. Taking on cap dumps in Pominville Hunwick and now Sobotdka and berglund without adding any quality propspect is unconscionable. I don’t care if ROR was the second coming of Jack,the Ripper, he was our Jack the Ripper and worth a hell of a lot more. But there is a bigger issue and that is why this ninny was hired in the first place and the two people who hired him did so. This idea of Pegula type people is why Bobblehead is here instead of a seasoned NHL GM. They like certain traits that do not have anything to do with building a winning hockey team.

I was never a fan of the original trade for ROR not because he was a bad player but because I thought it was a hastily thought out way to accelerate a rebuild that was gonna take time. A timing issue and created unreasonable expectations on the timeline. But the timing of this is worse. He just told Jack, Sam Casey and Dahlin that your time is not now. Wait three to five years. I have not felt this angry at Sabres management since the Drury Briere fiasco. This sucks.

I think he's about to put a C on Jack's sweater and an A on Reinhart's.  All the malcontents are gone.  Time for the young core to step up and lead.

When he took October, November, and December off the past two seasons?  

Seeing as how the Sabres are still digging themselves out of the hole Murray put them in, think it's OK to still hate him.

Saying O'Reilly took 3 months off is such a gross exaggeration I almost don't want to justify it with a response. He had a rough few weeks this year, that's it.

And the trade made today is going to put is in the hole for a season or two at least. So I think it's okay to still hate on it, ya dig?

I would have rather paid the bonus and got another NHL ready piece back.

Botterill on timing of bonus payment: "If it went past midnight today, the asking price was certainly going to be a lot different." #Sabres

:wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:

The fact that you, who has regularly railed on O'Reilly, feels this way...that says a lot.

that is silly logic. there is no reason to go around saying how great o'reilly is when he is our own property (under contract for many more years) and universally considered a pretty good player around the league. of course people are going to stand up and voice their opinions about how good o'reilly once it became possible they would trade him.

Yeah, I remember back in 2006-2008, when the Sabres were awesome and no one ever wanted to talk about their favorite players on that team.   :doh:

Just an awful trade.  Could have picked up similar depth in free agency as Sobotka and Berglund at a lower price and a shorter term.  I really do not understand taking on these obligation for players 30+.  Makes no sense to me.

Overall, I think this trade was a complete failure because we did not get a top prospect.  Would have been okay to forego either or both of the 1st and the 2nd round picks for a player that would have been added to our young talent and could have grown with them over time.  We may not see these draft picks (and the ones received from San Jose) break into the lineup (assuming they work out, which is not a given at all) for four or more years.  

Not impressed with JBot at all.  In the trades for Kane and O'Reilly, we have received one marginal NHL prospect that may or may not be playing in Buffalo next season (Thompson).  That is a poor return for assets.

Good post - well said.

I think he's about to put a C on Jack's sweater and an A on Reinhart's.  All the malcontents are gone.  Time for the young core to step up and lead.

That's our one hope in all of this, that ROR truly was a detriment off the ice and in the locker room and that with him gone our young core will explode akin to the Avs after the Duchene trade.  

Botterill once again mentioned Reinhart’s ability to play center tonight. I think they’ll give him another run there.

As a huge proponent of trying Reinhart at center last year....I've seen enough of that. He's not an NHL center.

There you go again reading things into my post that I didn’t say.

Wires crossed here. I know I quoted you, but I was really just making another complaint about the trade, not directly addressing what you said. Carry on :)

Guys, Jbot is no idiot. He knows the development time for most players. He has talent coming, but except Casey and Dahlin most is 2-3 years away. Guys such as Asplund, Pu, Davidsson, Samuelsson etc....

He also still has 13 mill in cap space (8 mill after Samson signs) so we aren’t exactly in TM style cap hell.

I don’t love this deal because it didn’t immediately improve a single position on the team except depth. I thought we were improved overall until this trade. Now I’m not so sure.

Still, I can see where Jbot is going and it is something we all kind of knew. 2018-19 will be another transition year. Hopefully improved overall (we can’t get worse can we?), but playoffs are probably out of he question.

That said, I thought the Braves would stink again this season and boy have they gelled.

Remember what JBot's overall strategy is:  Build from the farm team up.  We knew this.  This trade is not inconsistent with that.  I am disappointed in the return, but I'm going to reserve judgment for now.

@3putt

On the contrary, I think he told Sam, and Jack and Casey and Rasmus that their time is precisely right now.

They’ve been handed the reins.

And they had to move O'Reilly to make it happen, as there is no precedent for passing off leadership responsibility without jettisoning your second best player. 

*glances in San Jose's direction*

thateam wasn't 'rebuilding' or in last place.

So you're pretty sure fans only talk about their favorite players when the team is contending?  Someone should let Buffalo fans know because that hasn't been how we've been doing things for most of the past 20 years on the internet.

Lead whom? The husk of Pominville? The corpse of Bogo? Hunwick? Larrson? Stop me when I get to someone worth leading. Casey will be thrown to the wolves. Dahlin too. We have seen this show before. And not one valuable piece coming back. And to top it off he agreed to top 10 protection? That would have been the only thing to makemthis palatable, i.e. the Blues winning the Hughes sweepstakes and having to hand it over.

Are they really? Cause from all the rumors in that Lockerroom, your saying they are about to put a 'C' on the one that always seems to be included as the guy that someone doesn't get along with...........

So you're pretty sure fans only talk about their favorite players when the team is contending?  Someone should let Buffalo fans know because that hasn't been how we've been doing things for most of the past 20 years on the internet.

you understand the point i was making. you act like everybody hated o'reilly up until trade rumors started swirling. that is wrong. there was just no reason for anyone to go around saying how great o'reilly is in the midst of another last place season. 

Because money? Budgets? Things that normal businesses pay attention to?

That $7.5M would have no effect on anything the Sabres do going forward.  Had the Sabres paid it though, they might have "bought" a better return in the trade.

Saying O'Reilly took 3 months off is such a gross exaggeration I almost don't want to justify it with a response. He had a rough few weeks this year, that's it.

And the trade made today is going to put is in the hole for a season or two at least. So I think it's okay to still hate on it, ya dig?

Mike HarringtonVerified account @ByMHarrington 37m37 minutes ago

More

Botterill on timing of bonus payment: "If it went past midnight today, the asking price was certainly going to be a lot different." #Sabres

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

He clearly didn't want to raise the asking price. He wanted O'Reilly gone...

Just like Colorado...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.