Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

The Sabres saved $7.5M in overall spending money today by getting rid of ROR's bonus. They brought in close to the same amount in salaries in the trade.

Right, but the Sabres have been a cap team before with the Pegulas. They could have added that much money without subtracting and all of the available evidence suggests ownership wouldn't have blinked.

It's worth pointing out again -- literally no one was raving about how much they loved ROR during the season.  But suddenly he became the god of 2-way centers when he threw a temper tantrum on locker clean-out day.

And if the guy was openly being a PITA in the room, he had to go.  Enough already.

What temper tantrum?

It's worth pointing out again -- literally no one was raving about how much they loved ROR during the season. But suddenly he became the god of 2-way centers when he threw a temper tantrum on locker clean-out day.

And if the guy was openly being a PITA in the room, he had to go. Enough already.

More than fair.

Underwhelmed but oh well. This explains the last 10 or so years of Sabres hockey so how can I be pissed about this ? I can't and I won't let it affect me. I'm excited about Dahlin and Lord Casey and a few of the other younguns and the team is different than the pile of trash we iced last year so onwards and hopefully upwards.

It's worth pointing out again -- literally no one was raving about how much they loved ROR during the season.  But suddenly he became the god of 2-way centers when he threw a temper tantrum on locker clean-out day.

And if the guy was openly being a PITA in the room, he had to go.  Enough already.

I was. Regularly. 

You're still railing on Tim Murray who has been gone for over a year, but the rest of us can't be pissed about a trade that happened hours ago?

https://twitter.com/martybiron43/status/1013606383726612480?s=21

I agree with Marty. I think there may be some overvaluation here to amplify any disappointment.

I don't think the issue is that people were in love with O'Reilly. It's that we thought we'd get something more than the Blues' 9th, 10th, and 19th scorers from last season in return. Names like Parayko were being thrown around pre-trade.

...maybe Tage Thompson will blossom with a new team.

When was the last time there was a 1 for 5 trade in the NHL?

I guess Duchene was, or at least the Ottawa Colorado part?

Turris Berglund

Hammond Sobotka

bowers Thompson

1st 1st

3rd 2nd

The big difference is Turris was a UFA who was flipped for futures, Berglund and Sobotka will be Sabres.

Fair. Redirected is probably a better way to put it.

But still, the fact that they picked up the bonus is big, at least IMO.

I'd agree that the trade would be worse if we paid the bonus. Money does mean something even if pegula is rich

I don't think the issue is that people were in love with O'Reilly. It's that we thought we'd get something more than the Blues' 9th, 10th, and 19th scorers from last season in return. Names like Parayko were being thrown around pre-trade.

...maybe Tage Thompson will blossom with a new team.

This trade is actually pretty close to what I thought we'd get. That's part of the reason I didn't want to trade him.

can't force a player to sign.  they'd both be smart to maximize their leverage.

Why would they want to leave or would re-siging be an issue? Its not like the Leafs can't offer them something good salary wise, and if they keep that lineup together they could be the next Penguins/Blackhawks with JT now.

When was the last time there was a 1 for 5 trade in the NHL?

I guess Duchene was, or at least the Ottawa Colorado part?

Turris Berglund

Hammond Sobotka

bowers Thompson

1st 1st

3rd 2nd

The big difference is Turris was a UFA who was flipped for futures, Berglund and Sobotka will be Sabres.

Also, Turris is way better than Berglund and Sobotka. Minor detail, though ;)

Edit: If we had gotten a Turris-level player back, I wouldn't be bitching at all.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I was. Regularly. 

You're still railing on Tim Murray who has been gone for over a year, but the rest of us can't be pissed about a trade that happened hours ago?

When he took October, November, and December off the past two seasons?  

Seeing as how the Sabres are still digging themselves out of the hole Murray put them in, think it's OK to still hate him.

Just an awful trade.  Could have picked up similar depth in free agency as Sobotka and Berglund at a lower price and a shorter term.  I really do not understand taking on these obligation for players 30+.  Makes no sense to me.

Overall, I think this trade was a complete failure because we did not get a top prospect.  Would have been okay to forego either or both of the 1st and the 2nd round picks for a player that would have been added to our young talent and could have grown with them over time.  We may not see these draft picks (and the ones received from San Jose) break into the lineup (assuming they work out, which is not a given at all) for four or more years.  

Not impressed with JBot at all.  In the trades for Kane and O'Reilly, we have received one marginal NHL prospect that may or may not be playing in Buffalo next season (Thompson).  That is a poor return for assets.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.