Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

Well he wants players that fit in his core. Go trade those picks for someone in the 20-22 age group

Except that no one is trading those guys away for more picks, they want good players........

If its age that he cares about, might as well get on the Phone for Duclair and Yakupov as they fit the age........

I think the timeline is affected but I don't think changing the timeline was the driver here.  I think getting rid of a malcontent was the driver for this move, and JB decided he had to do it.

Maybe. I hope he's right, regardless of motive. What else can I do at this point? 

Drink

Oh, I am.

Blies ownership gave a directive to get better whatever the cost.

We are perpetually rebuilding.

What good is a multi billionaire owner if the directive to win is never given.

How quickly we forget Ville Leino and Christian Ehrhoff! :p

There is no evidence in ANY of the teams they own that the Pegula's have the slightest f'ing clue what they are doing.

I mean, I think it was non-repeatable luck, but the Bills did break the drought.

Yes, but it would be much easier to part with our pick for an established player like that knowing that we have at least one, and maybe two, other first round picks to pocket

But you would be giving up a pick mostly likey one of the better chances at next years #1, to get Nylander just because you have 2 late 1st rounders?

Teams are allowed to negotiate compensation or take the prescribed picks based on the sheet.  Nobody has signed a sheet since ROR in 2013.

God willing someone will sheet both Marner AND Mathews and really F the Leafs over.  Maybe that's where Bergevin gets his centre.  Lol.

I highly doubt the Leafs let either of them reach a point where they can be offer sheeted.......

If they are going to negotiate the compensation, it would be a trade for their rights, and I doubt Toronto is dumb enough to move either of them for the later picks Buffalo will have to offer in the 1st

Any GM looking at making a move with the Sabres is going to ask for their pick first cause thats the valuable assett.

Edited by apuszczalowski

Completely by accident. When you bench your QB on the road to start an immobile 5th round pick against the team with the best pass rush in football and you trade your only run stuffing DT for a 6th round pick you arent trying to win. That was an accident and they are going to crater HARD this year. Culture my ass.

... are you actually complaining about trading Dareus? Come on now

So Botterill has

I agree, but it's probable St. Louis wasn't moving Thomas or Kyrou. Botterill could have said F it then, but I think he was dead set on moving the timeline. I don't think he got swindled at the poker table here, I just think his perspective on the rebuild is considerably different than many of ours.

Well he better explain his perspective to the fans then, because with what Toronto and Vegas have done in the league, his perspective makes no sense.

Botterill talked a good game about waiting for the right deal with Kane and O'Reilly, but when it comes right down to it, he traded over 100 points for a bunch of nothing. 

He needs to convince the fans that this was the "right" deal he's been bragging about, because right now, it looks like this roster is going to set more records for futility.

I know little or nothing about the assets coming in, but, in theory, I think the deal is ... okay and has real potential to work out.

I mean, it’s established that JBOT was resolved to move ROR. And I’ll trust the determination that was made to inform that decision. Once that train leaves the station and is on the tracks, you just gotta do the best you can.

A couple of (hopefully) solid NHLers, a prospect with upside, and 2 decent picks. All in exchange for a player they’d decided they *had* to move.

Onward.

Not looking at it from a cap perspective. He was asking why we should care about STL picking up ROR's bonus. I know it doesn't affect the salary cap.

No, you claimed we were saving money. How? We're basically paying the same accept to 2 players instead of 1.

https://twitter.com/martybiron43/status/1013606383726612480?s=21

I agree with Marty. I think there may be some overvaluation here to amplify any disappointment.

Or a team claiming to want to get faster traded for a slow 20 yr rw... *insert that gif of Snape shrugging here*

see it's funny. If they HADN'T traded him away maybe Blake ###### Bortles doesn't run all over the field in the playoff game they accidentally made and maybe McCoy would actually have had some room to run. They weren't TRYING to win last year they were trying to build "culture" and sculpt the roster. They made the playoffs out of sheer luck

They lost that game because their offensive coordinator was absolute dogshit and because tyrod isn't good.

I agree with Marty. I think there may be some overvaluation here to amplify any disappointment.

I agree with Marty that ROR would be a great 3rd line center, and with what Toronto did today, that would have been worth his salary the next few years.

Average O'Reilly's and Mittlestadt's salaries for the 2nd and 3rd centers, and even with ROR slotted at the 3rd center, the Sabres would still be getting a bargain.

It's worth pointing out again -- literally no one was raving about how much they loved ROR during the season.  But suddenly he became the god of 2-way centers when he threw a temper tantrum on locker clean-out day.

And if the guy was openly being a PITA in the room, he had to go.  Enough already.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.