Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

The need for ROR to do what he does and marshal his team directly to last place.

and god forbid someone to stand in front on the PP. He's really good at that.

Reinhart might be one of the best in the NHL at that...Sabres have scored a LOT of goals over the past 2 years from him being in front of the goalie. Edited by matter2003

Because money? Budgets? Things that normal businesses pay attention to?

Why do you as a fan care that Terry Pegula has to pay money that doesn't affect the cap and therefore your fandom at all

Unless of course it did affect the cap

The only thing I like from this trade (actually, to be fair, I don't dislike Berglund as a player) is the first-round pick. A good GM would use that pick to offer sheet Nylander up in Toronto. ....but I doubt JBotts has the stones for such a thing.

Offer sheets use your pick. As far as ik you can't substitute picks. Anyone confirm or refute?

Someone just starting a rebuild? Vancouver seems like a solid choice. Detroit too

Have you looked at Vancouver's moves? They definitely don't think they're rebuilding. Neither does Detroit. And really, I don't think that makes any sense. "Hey, we're starting a rebuild. Let's move the pieces we have to rebuild around for pieces we can rebuild around in 3 years!" NHL players on ELCs are gold, no team is moving them for lottery tickets.

Offer sheets use your pick. As far as ik you can't substitute picks. Anyone confirm or refute?

Yes, but it would be much easier to part with our pick for an established player like that knowing that we have at least one, and maybe two, other first round picks to pocket

Despite all of the locker room mumbo jumbo, I think that's it. Botterill doesn't plan on winning for several more season, and that was the impetus for the trade. Of course, it would've been nice to get a single A-caliber piece in return to fit with such a timeline, rather than stopgap vets and middling picks.

And thats the problem and why I'm starting to believe he is in over his head. If you think its still going to be a long rebuild, you trade your best assett for good prospects who can atleast be put in your system to develop now

Instead they get a 'meh' prospect and picks who will still be years away from making it in the NHL

This team should be done bottoming out and should be looking at moving up, not continuing to bottom out

And thats the problem and why I'm starting to believe he is in over his head. If you think its still going to be a long rebuild, you trade your best assett for good prospects who can atleast be put in your system to develop now

Instead they get a 'meh' prospect and picks who will still be years away from making it in the NHL

This team should be done bottoming out and should be looking at moving up, not continuing to bottom out

Yup

I agree, but it's probable St. Louis wasn't moving Thomas or Kyrou. Botterill could have said F it then, but I think he was dead set on moving the timeline. I don't think he got swindled at the poker table here, I just think his perspective on the rebuild is considerably different than many of ours.

O'Reilly couldn't come back after he was so openly and obviously shopped. Must have been a locker room problem as speculated. On the ice he brought alot to the team, and it's unfortunate to see him go for a package that will not come close to replacing him(at least not immediately).

By the same token, we are unarguably in need of a culture change, that term has almost become a cliche, but it is so very true. That won't happen overnight, we've seen the expedited process and it left us with bare cupboards and a sub par on ice product. O'Reilly was clearly not part of Jbots core, but I encourage all to take a look at our young core (Eichel, Reinhart, Mitts, Dahlin, Risto). It's oozing with potential!!!

I ask you this, before the trade were we making the playoffs? Hell no, are we making them now? Hell no!! But we added capable players in the positions we really needed, and we won't finish last. The guys will compete because if they don't we have a plane ticket for them! It sets an example for what's acceptable behavior and what isn't. My point is, this thing is trending upwards and management will have faith in the player's it's putting out there. Do you want to win a cup in 4 years? Or be a bubble team for our entire existence? We blew it up years ago for a reason, we've been as patient as anyone, let's ride this thing out because done right, we will achieve!!!

Yup are they overpayed and old! But we are actually seeing every position being filled by players who can do the job!! And are loading up on the much needed depth to be a contender!

Edited by LikeEich

I don't want to sheet another Nylander.  I want to sheet Marner next year when they have both him and Mathews to sign.

Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if both Marner and Matthews are signed before they ever hit RFA status. In any event, we all know we're not offer sheeting anybody.

Why do you as a fan care that Terry Pegula has to pay money that doesn't affect the cap and therefore your fandom at all

Unless of course it did affect the cap

In actuality, I don't care that much. But the Pegulas definitely have a budget on their operation costs. As does every owner in the league.

No one knows what it is, but if we're getting $7.5M off of that budget, that's going on the "pro" side of the Venn diagram.

Edited by slugspirit

3 years from now we will have officially wasted 6 years of Jack Eichel. unbelievable 

I get your point, but all of this assumes that our young players remain at their current level. If and when Eichel, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, et al. really start to develop into elite players, they lift the whole team. Everyone looks better. Any BTW, I think what is being forgotten here is what is hopefully a huge upgrade at the goalie position. Lehner did not help the team last year.

In actuality, I don't care that much. But the Pugulas definitely have a budget on their operation costs. As does every owner in the league.

No one knows what it is, but if we're getting $7.5M off of that budget, that's going on the "pro" side of the Venn diagram.

We aren't. The two players we got cost 7.2 mil and change.

I agree, but it's probable St. Louis wasn't moving Thomas or Kyrou. Botterill could have said F it then, but I think he was dead set on moving the timeline. I don't think he got swindled at the poker table here, I just think his perspective on the rebuild is considerably different than many of ours.

I think the timeline is affected but I don't think changing the timeline was the driver here.  I think getting rid of a malcontent was the driver for this move, and JB decided he had to do it.

In actuality, I don't care that much. But the Pugulas definitely have a budget on their operation costs. As does every owner in the league.

There is no evidence that the Pegulas care what they spend on the hockey roster.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.