Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

Guys, Jbot is no idiot. He knows the development time for most players. He has talent coming, but except Casey and Dahlin most is 2-3 years away. Guys such as Asplund, Pu, Davidsson, Samuelsson etc....

He also still has 13 mill in cap space (8 mill after Samson signs) so we aren’t exactly in TM style cap hell.

I don’t love this deal because it didn’t immediately improve a single position on the team except depth. I thought we were improved overall until this trade. Now I’m not so sure.

Still, I can see where Jbot is going and it is something we all kind of knew. 2018-19 will be another transition year. Hopefully improved overall (we can’t get worse can we?), but playoffs are probably out of he question.

That said, I thought the Braves would stink again this season and boy have they gelled.

Mike Harrington tweeted that Jbotts said ROR age was a factor. Sounds like JBotts doesn’t believe he can take this group to the playoffs in the next couple of seasons.

This team is hard to root for.

Starting to believe that they have a GM and coach in over their heads, Again............

You can't keep waiting for your prospects to develop into super stars to carry your team while you wallow in mediocrity. The biggest change needed for that locker room is to just start winning and get better.

Otherwise even the best guys are going to end up like ROR just being sick and tired of losing

This franchise has the financing and ability to make themselves better, instead they continue to throw away valuable assetts and hope to win the lottery.......

And become the GM Murray never wanted to be: "I could go for a five year rebuild and have job security, but I don't want that." (Serious paraphrase.)

If I may paraphrase Homer Simpson: “There’s three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Tim Murray way!”

Bart: “Isn’t that the wrong way?”

Homer: “Yes, but faster!!!!”

Starting to believe that they have a GM and coach in over their heads, Again............

You can't keep waiting for your prospects to develop into super stars to carry your team while you wallow in mediocrity. The biggest change needed for that locker room is to just start winning and get better.

Otherwise even the best guys are going to end up like ROR just being sick and tired of losing

Agreed

Where is the "perpetual" 10th place finish coming from?  Our long-term core is Eichel, Dahlin, Mittelstadt, and Dahlin.  They'll all be in their prime starting in 3 years or so, which is when nearly every bad contract we currently have is over.  Berglund will be on the books for 1 more year at under $4M AAV and Okposo will still be around another couple years at $6M.

Our malcontents from last year (Kane, ROR, and Lehner) are all gone and we're adding young talents like Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Guhle, and Thompson to the roster.  And we seem to have organizational depth for the first time in a decade.  We should still be more fun to watch this coming year and our long-term outlook is still good. 

3 years from now we will have officially wasted 6 years of Jack Eichel. unbelievable 

And just last year we kept reading about how O'Reilly was a perfect teammate, great work ethic, always stayed after practice to improve his game and kept the young guys there as well to help them improve their game.................... 

I agree with you, I hope he was like you mentioned because it might make me feel better. But, I get the feeling he's not that way. 

I don't recall hearing any comments or issues from teammates that he wasn't like in the lockerroom or an issue, there was only one who kept coming up but no one wants to believe is true............

This franchise has the financing and ability to make themselves better, instead they continue to throw away valuable assetts and hope to win the lottery.......

As much as I hate this trade, I don't think it shows Botterill is in over his head. I simply think it shows he has a vastly different timeline for contention than many of us thought was necessary.

I'm concerned with the age and term that is coming back in this trade....and I think ROR is a good player...but on the ice I just don't see him as being as great as other do.

He really isn't a complete 2-way center when you look at his offensive production. Power play goals and points do count, but WAY too much of his offensive production is a result of getting a lot of ice time on the PP. The Sabres have had 2 players total over the last couple of years who produced 5-on-5...Eichel and Kane.  Over the past 3 years, ROR is tied for 161st in the league in even strength goals.  When you factor in his high ice time (even at even strength), his scoring rate per 60 minutes even strength looks even worse. His goals per 60 minutes is ranked 182nd in the league over the last 3 years, and when you factor in the fact that he scores a lower percentage of even strength goals than most...he really isn't an offensive threat at all at even strength.  Once again, he is great at faceoffs....is good enough to be on a 2nd PP line even on an Elite team...but I don't think that is worth $7.5 per year.   If, IF he was a locker room problem, then just getting rid of his salary might make the team better in the long run.

As much as I hate this trade, I don't think it shows Botterill is in over his head. I simply think it shows he has a vastly different timeline for contention than many of us thought was necessary.

It's the timeline you get when the previous GM completely destroyed the franchise with ZFG.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.