Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

Sheary - Eichel - Okposo

Berglund - Reinhart - Baptiste

Rodrigues - Mittelstadt - Thompson

Wilson - Sobotka - Pominville

Something like that as it stands. I put Reinhart at C because Botterill suggested it when talking about their options at Center during development camp.

Sheary - Eichel - Okposo

Berglund - Reinhart - Baptiste

Rodrigues - Mittelstadt - Thompson

Wilson - Sobotka - Pominville

Something like that as it stands. I put Reinhart at C because Botterill suggested it when talking about their options at Center during development camp.

That lineup looks damn weird

Some scary stuff on Berglund...who is under contract for quite a few more years:  (Via https://www.stlouisgametime.com/2018/6/12/17453646/five-questions-the-st-louis-blues-must-answer-this-summer)

He did somehow manage to record 17 goals in 57 games. Over 82 games, that would put him on pace for a career-best 24 goals. The Blues, who only had three 20-goal scorers last season, wouldn’t seem to be in a position to abandon another potential contributor.

And yet Berglund recorded only nine assists. Of those nine, seven were primary assists. Of those seven, only three were assists on goals scored by forwards.

Of those three, only one - a single goal by Alexander Steen against Columbus on March 24th - was a pass. The other two were deflections.

Patrik Berglund, ostensibly a center, passed the puck to a forward in a manner that resulted in a goal exactly one time over the full course of an NHL season.

Contenders have to demand more production of their players. And the Blues have to demand that Berglund accepts a ticket out of town.

He's not good.  I cannot stand him as a player and he's underachieved his entire career.  

I'm generally of the opinion that whoever gets the best player of a trade wins it. The Sabres were never going to win this trade.

We'll see what happens now. Jbot should be able to turn some of those first rounders/players into a real winger.

Narrator: he won't. 

I never bought into the idea that this team was 2-3 years from the playoffs, but this trade makes me think that Botterill himself believes it.

where do you get cap flexibility in eating 4 years of Berglund who nobody will take and 2 years of Sobotka who nobody will take and 2 years of Hunwick who nobody will take to go along with 5 more years Okposo who nobody will take and2 more years of Bogosian who nobody will take?

Forgetting Moulson also?

Gotta think this through before evaluating. The Sabres did get three roster players out of it. And a first-round pick.

But it feels like that fantasy football trade where someone gives up an elite stud (say, Antonio Brown) and gets a proverbial hound’s breakfast in return.

And if Berglund's possession metrics are that good call AZ right now and unload him on Chayka.

I didn't count Pominville or Moulson because they AT LEAST are on their last season.

They're not bad, but they're also certainly not what I would consider good.I'd describe them as okay. And that's with a pretty limited role. If he gets saddled with O'Reilly's minutes, he'll crumble.

Some scary stuff on Berglund...who is under contract for quite a few more years:  (Via https://www.stlouisgametime.com/2018/6/12/17453646/five-questions-the-st-louis-blues-must-answer-this-summer)

He did somehow manage to record 17 goals in 57 games. Over 82 games, that would put him on pace for a career-best 24 goals. The Blues, who only had three 20-goal scorers last season, wouldn’t seem to be in a position to abandon another potential contributor.

And yet Berglund recorded only nine assists. Of those nine, seven were primary assists. Of those seven, only three were assists on goals scored by forwards.

Of those three, only one - a single goal by Alexander Steen against Columbus on March 24th - was a pass. The other two were deflections.

Patrik Berglund, ostensibly a center, passed the puck to a forward in a manner that resulted in a goal exactly one time over the full course of an NHL season.

Contenders have to demand more production of their players. And the Blues have to demand that Berglund accepts a ticket out of town.

So he might make a good finisher for Jack

Berglund and Sabotka are feckless. Won't make any difference. Tage sounds like a slightly more talented gaustad. And nhl draft picks are a roll of the dice. I'll Be surprised if in 5 years the Sabres have anything tangible from this trade.

Well I guess we'll see where ROR is then, too.

I definitely wanted a Kyrou or better in this deal, but if we got two guys who scored double digits last year plus a 20 year Thompson and two high picks... That's actually pretty solid, guys.

the facthathe pick is top 10 protected is an absolute  embarrassment. i'm not surprised, but i don't understand how that became standard practice in the NHL. if a team said they wanted to protectheir pick, i would call the deal off.

but sadly thats nothe worst part of the trade

I like Tage Thompson. All I can say is that there must have been some serious going down in that lockerroom.

Assuming Thompson is slated for Buffalo and once Reinhart signs, that 13 forwards including Larsson and Girgensons. Capfriendly lists Sobatka as a LW. I thought he was a center. This won’t be our opening night roster.

The stories out before today said Jbot wanted a good prospect, a 1st and a 2nd for ROR. This is what he got, plus servicable forwards to make the money work cap wise.

I think our forward groip is deeper after this trade, but center is now an issue. Is Berglund good enough center to play the tough defensive minutes? I guess Casey takes ROR’s 1st PP slot.

How does this compare to what we paid to get him?

where do you get cap flexibility in eating 4 years of Berglund who nobody will take and 2 years of Sobotka who nobody will take and 2 years of Hunwick who nobody will take to go along with 5 more years Okposo who nobody will take and2 more years of Bogosian who nobody will take?

I think botterill is looking ahead 3 years in salary structure. If you view this through that lens, pominville, moulson, sobotka and bogosian are gone.

I truly think he saw O'Reilly as a problem in the room, and on the payroll. 7.5M on the cap for 5 (I think) more years is more of an issue than sobotka and Berglund.

We got deeper as a lineup and more flexible to hopefully supplement the lineup in 2-3 years.

Edited by Darryl Shannon's +/-

Well I guess we'll see where ROR is then, too.

I definitely wanted a Kyrou or better in this deal, but if we got two guys who scored double digits last year plus a 20 year Thompson and two high picks... That's actually pretty solid, guys.

Berglund hasn't topped 40 points since 2010. Sobotka has topped 30 twice since 2007. Both of them has Bogosian-esque durability. Tage Thompson had 9 points as a rookie and might make Reinhart seem quick. The Blues' 1st next year is probably going to be in the mid-20s, and their 2nd round pick isn't until two-thousand freaking twenty-one.

We got impressive volume, but none of it is good.

We have nearly 30M tied up in players nobody wants.  We were starting to get out from that cloud and JBOT just put more on top of the pile to acquire Connor Sheary, Tage Thompson a 1st round pick someday and 2nd round pick the 5th of never.

I was trying to see the bright side but the more I'm thinking about this the more pissed I'm getting.

And we still have plenty of cap space long term for our core players.  Who cares about the next couple years?

This trade tells me the goal now I just to make the playoffs, not contend for a Cup. The new roster reeks of perpetual 10th-7th place finishes and middling draft picks.

This isn't the new roster. There is plenty of time.

Also, I'll take 10th place in a heartbeat!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.