2018 Free Agent Frenzy!

LGR4GM

Yes sir.

Per Kathyrn Tappen

The @Senators offered Erik Karlsson an 8 year contract extension for $10M per season. Now they are in serious trade talks with multiple teams highly interested. #NHLNews

Bummer. I wonder if FXGMJB just felt differently about him, or if there was some other reason they let him walk. It certainly doesn't seem like his new contract was something we couldn't afford as an organization and it's not like he moved closer to home or anything like that.

Bummer. I wonder if FXGMJB just felt differently about him, or if there was some other reason they let him walk. It certainly doesn't seem like his new contract was something we couldn't afford as an organization and it's not like he moved closer to home or anything like that.

Looked to me like they were interested and he chose something else.

Would anyone essentially flip Kane and O'Reilly for Karlsson?

Basically two firsts, two prospects not named Casey or Rasmus and a cheap, useful player (like McCabe)?

Looked to me like they were interested and he chose something else.

Would anyone essentially flip Kane and O'Reilly for Karlsson?

Basically two firsts, two prospects not named Casey or Rasmus and a cheap, useful player (like McCabe)?

I wouldn't have while we still had those guys but now that they're already gone, sure.

Karlsson is looking for Dougherty’s Contract 8 x 11 Million AAV. That would be over 20 Million in Defenseman for 5 seasons, on the other hand having A Dahlin-Karlsson Top Pairing would be Incredible for the next 9 Years

His price tag doesn't concern me. We'll have Dahlin for cheap for over half that contract anyways

What gets me is the Bobby Ryan contract. And Ottawa isn't taking any salary back, so we have nothing to work with

For as much as we’ve grumbled around here about the offseason it’s amazing to see teams that have done nothing.

The Wild came in with a new GM in Paul Fenton (the guy I wish we hired both times we had an opening) and in need of a shakeup and haven’t done anything to this point.

The Habs came in seeming like a team that was ready to move on from Patches and bring in a Center... end flipped Galchenyuk for a worse winger.

The Oilers, Blackhawks and Ducks are three other teams that there was much talk about but nothing has happened.

I don’t blame teams like the Sharks, Stars, Lightning and Bruins because they were teams around the cap that focused the early portion of their offseason on Tavares.

I'm with you on all of this. I'm amazed at a lot of the teams that didn't make changes, those last 3 (Oilers, Hawks, Ducks) chief among them. The Ducks at the end of the season were rumored for a full tear down of major pieces. The Oilers were awful even with McDavid and Chiarelli claimed he could trade out Lucic. Then the Blackhawks, who last season changed their entire team, didn't even make the playoffs this year, and did...nothing? Pretty wild

I wanted Fenton too. Never understood why it took this long for him to get a shot at a GM role

I like that Bergevin knows he’s so bad that he has to come out and be like “well, I ALMOST accomplished something.”

Marc Bergevin is a national treasure

His price tag doesn't concern me. We'll have Dahlin for cheap for over half that contract anyways

What gets me is the Bobby Ryan contract. And Ottawa isn't taking any salary back, so we have nothing to work with

We have $13M free now.  We're getting rid of Pommer and Matt Moulson after this year, which frees up $9.7M.  If you have Scandella, Risto, Dahlin, and Karlsson, Bogosian's out at $5.1M as late as Spring 2020.  That's $27.8M freed up before you even have to sniff Dahlin's extension.

Yes, Ryan''s way overpaid, but this lowers the acquisition price on an extended Karlsson.  Maybe it gets down to those two acquired 1st round picks (not ours) and a prospect and maybe a junk player.  I think we should be at least investigating this.

We have $13M free now.  We're getting rid of Pommer and Matt Moulson after this year, which frees up $9.7M.  If you have Scandella, Risto, Dahlin, and Karlsson, Bogosian's out at $5.1M as late as Spring 2020.  That's $27.8M freed up before you even have to sniff Dahlin's extension.

Yes, Ryan''s way overpaid, but this lowers the acquisition price on an extended Karlsson.  Maybe it gets down to those two acquired 1st round picks (not ours) and a prospect and maybe a junk player.  I think we should be at least investigating this.

He's sooooo bad and soooo overpaid and for soooooo long though. $7.25M over the next 4 years for a guy that gets around 20-30pts/season now is just so hard to bite off. If we didn't already have a contract like that (Okposo) on our books maybe we could stomach it. 

I'm absolutely amazed the Sens would do that by the way; anchor Ryan to Karlsson. Karlsson's trade could set them up so nicely for a rebuild. They will get such a monstrously smaller return if they insist on tying Ryan to him though

Rumor I head is that he is interested in TB or Vegas as a no tax states and warm weather.  His wife is from Ottawa but she apparently is fond of TB area. From people close to the Lightning.    Could be self serving but it makes sense.

I'm absolutely amazed the Sens would do that by the way; anchor Ryan to Karlsson. Karlsson's trade could set them up so nicely for a rebuild. They will get such a monstrously smaller return if they insist on tying Ryan to him though

Yeah, that part's weird.  Karlsson's return is the key to their future, and they would be bogging it down by actively enforcing movement of a bad contract.  And they have the cap space.  So unless the team is actually in real-dollar financial straits, they should consider just eating it for the betterment of the franchise.

Rumor I head is that he is interested in TB or Vegas as a no tax states and warm weather.  His wife is from Ottawa but she apparently is fond of TB area. From people close to the Lightning.    Could be self serving but it makes sense.

I wouldn't buy that. He's on record as saying he loves living in Ottawa and will likely spend the rest of his life there no matter what

“I live here, and I’m going to live here no matter what,” Karlsson told Postmedia after Saturday’s matinee win against the New York Rangers. “If not all year round, I’m going to live here in the summer. My wife is from here and this is where we’re set.”

http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/erik-karlsson-plans-to-remain-in-ottawa-at-least-every-summer

Yeah, that part's weird.  Karlsson's return is the key to their future, and they would be bogging it down by actively enforcing movement of a bad contract.  And they have the cap space.  So unless the team is actually in real-dollar financial straits, they should consider just eating it for the betterment of the franchise.

There's a reason every Sens fans want to throw Melynk off the tallest bridge they can find. He's going to sell in two years, he cares nothing about the franchise long term, only maximizing it's potential selling point right now

Edited by WildCard

I wouldn't buy that. He's on record as saying he loves living in Ottawa and will likely spend the rest of his life there no matter what

http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/erik-karlsson-plans-to-remain-in-ottawa-at-least-every-summer

There's a reason every Sens fans want to throw Melynk off the tallest bridge they can find. He's going to sell in two years, he cares nothing about the franchise long term, only maximizing it's potential selling point right now

I'm going to be really interested in how much they eventually sell for and what happens to the debt. Apparently, the Sens just got a new loan and their total debt is over $200 million right now. 

Wild a couple of the teams in on Karlsson are not interested in Ryan, Hi Tampa, plus Karlsson has the leverage of what team he is willing to sign an extension with.

Sorry, not sure what you mean here. Can you explain a little more?

I'm going to be really interested in how much they eventually sell for and what happens to the debt. Apparently, the Sens just got a new loan and their total debt is over $200 million right now. 

They'll sell for a lot less than he's hoping, I'll bet that right now

Wild a couple of the teams in on Karlsson are not interested in Ryan, Hi Tampa, plus Karlsson has the leverage of what team he is willing to sign an extension with.

I don't see how this makes sense financially for Tampa.    Even without Karlsson's contract, they're going to have to get creative with only $23m to re-sign Kucherov, Point and fill out 10 additional roster spots next season.

I don't see how this makes sense financially for Tampa.    Even without Karlsson's contract, they're going to have to get creative with only $23m to re-sign Kucherov, Point and fill out 10 additional roster spots next season.

Maybe that's why Botterill is stockpiling 1st round picks. He knows Tampa is going to have to trade for picks and prospects. 

Maybe that's why Botterill is stockpiling 1st round picks. He knows Tampa is going to have to trade for picks and prospects. 

Would make sense.... something is definitely up, I don't think he's anywhere near done turning this roster over.

Sorry, not sure what you mean here. Can you explain a little more?

They'll sell for a lot less than he's hoping, I'll bet that right now

There are two groups of teams interested in acquiring Karlsson: Teams that will take Bobby Ryan along with Karlsson such as Las Vegas and those who want Karlsson by himself such as Tampa.

There have been reports that Karlsson does have permission to discuss a contract extension with interested teams, giving him some leverage over where he is traded to. Why would a team give up the assets to acquire Karlsson if he wouldn’t sign an extension with them?

It's an interesting way for Ottawa to force their trade partners to show their cards.  You want Karlsson?  Offer him a contract.  If it's good enough that he wants to sign it, we're gonna make you pay us the assets we think that's worth, or else there's another team with a contract for him in hand.

Mirtle confirming Callaway’s Report

Sounds like Islanders close on Robin Lehner.

I hope he succeeds, even as I suspect he won’t.

Whatever his demons, Robin Lehner gave what he had to the Sabres and wanted desperately to help them win.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.