2018 Free Agent Frenzy!

LGR4GM

There is very little left on the table. It wasn't exactly a feast of a UFA pool, and right now there are the scraps left.

Maybe we can poach RFAs?

DeHaan.

As to your Q, Botterill said he has no plans to make any offers to RFA's at this time.

DeHaan.

As to your Q, Botterill said he has no plans to make any offers to RFA's at this time.

I am not as worried about our defense, we have a lot of pieces and hopefully someone will decide they want to make a career in the NHL (and Bogo will decide to not injure himself whilst inhaling)

Our wingers is my concern, especially LW - we basically have a 3rd line LW and three fourth line LWs and no 1st or 2nd LW.

Still remaining from TSN's Top 75 Free Agent's List

4. LW James Neal (30 years old)

8. D Calvin De Haan (27)

13. LW Patrick Maroon (30)

17. D Brooks Orpik (37)

18. LW Anthony Duclair (22)

27. C/LW Valtteri Filppula (34)

28. D Dan Hamhuis (35)

29. G Robin Lehner (26)

35. C Mark Letestu (33)

36. LW Scott Hartnell (36)

37. LW Nail Yakupov (24)

38. C Brian Gibbons (30)

40. D Toby Enstrom (33)

There's more after that but not worth listing.

8. D Calvin De Haan (27)

17. D Brooks Orpik (37)

28. D Dan Hamhuis (35)

29. G Robin Lehner (26)

35. C Mark Letestu (33)

37. LW Nail Yakupov (24)

38. C Brian Gibbons (30)

40. D Toby Enstrom (33)

Strange to me that two clubs have already said "no thanks" to Duclair and he is only 22 years old. Must be some issues there (?).

I am not as worried about our defense, we have a lot of pieces and hopefully someone will decide they want to make a career in the NHL (and Bogo will decide to not injure himself whilst inhaling)

Our wingers is my concern, especially LW - we basically have a 3rd line LW and three fourth line LWs and no 1st or 2nd LW.

The D is looking better (definitely in '19-'20 w/ who is in house, hopefully this season as well). But DeHaan would give the Sabres 3 bonafied experienced top 4 D & would allow a mix of McCabe & Bogosian to take load off Dahlin, Pilut, & Guhle as they jump in. There's also Nelson in the mix.

Would really like 1 more top 4 guy to have this D in good shape, literally, for years to come.

Especially if Okposo is back to his pre-signing self on the right side, the #2LW isn't as big of a hole. (Provided O'Reilly remains #2 C. If not, agree that #2 LW is a hole to fill as 2C probably won't be adequately filled. At least not on day 1. Someone may grow into it by mid-January but tgat's not a given.)

There is very little left on the table. It wasn't exactly a feast of a UFA pool, and right now there are the scraps left.

Maybe we can poach RFAs?

De Haan, Enstrom, Maroon, Neal. I would've liked to see a depth move or two by now as well, but avoiding stupid is half the battle on day 1. It may qualify as doing something, but I'm glad Botterill hadn't done anything like giving Beagle or Komarov 4-year deals.

8. D Calvin De Haan (27)

17. D Brooks Orpik (37)

28. D Dan Hamhuis (35)

29. G Robin Lehner (26)

35. C Mark Letestu (33)

37. LW Nail Yakupov (24)

38. C Brian Gibbons (30)

40. D Toby Enstrom (33)

I thought Maroon signed with Calgary? I wouldn't mind taking him for a 3 x 2.5 deal

De Haan, Enstrom, Maroon, Neal. I would've liked to see a depth move or two by now as well, but avoiding stupid is half the battle on day 1. It may qualify as doing something, but I'm glad Botterill hadn't done anything like giving Beagle or Komarov 4-year deals.

Neal will almost certainly get a Kane/JVR type deal

Enstrom is heading back to Europe I thought?

Maroon I would like

DeHaan would be nice, but I am less concerned with defense

Neal will almost certainly get a Kane/JVR type deal

Enstrom is heading back to Europe I thought?

Maroon I would like

DeHaan would be nice, but I am less concerned with defense

Neal is almost 2 years older than JVR and 4 years older than Kane. I think if he was getting a deal like theirs he would have by now.

Anyway, I'm more worried about the forwards than the blue line too, but it's not like there are no holes on the blue line. Get better, regardless of position. Also, the more we load up on the blue line, the more palatable a Ristolainen trade becomes to bolster the forwards.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Where are our toys?  Feels like a big lump of coal so far in free agency (I know it is only the first day).  Some of these guys could have helped us.  Not to state the obvious, but maybe we are a tough sell because of the last place finish?  Was hoping for some improvement at the forward position.

Edited by jahnyc

What about signing Neal... Sabres then would have signed two viable wingers even if the term is long. Luv his game... or would it be a problem down the road?

How much do you love what Kyle Okposo and Matt Moulson have brought us?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.