2018 Free Agent Frenzy!

LGR4GM

But the lack of playmaking from Matthews still factors into his value as a centre, in a vacuum. Regardless of his fit with his wings. You have to isolate the player you are attempting to rank. 

Sure, but that's a theoretical exercise. Because of what Toronto has, he's likely to be performing as a top-5 center in the league. Does it really matter if it wouldn't necessarily be the same in a different location?

Islander fans must be livid...losing him for absolutely nothing...reminds me of us losing Drury and Briere for nothing...that may be a big dagger in that franchise that may just sound the death knell...they have problems getting fans now...now what???

Sure, but that's a theoretical exercise. Because of what Toronto has, he's likely to be performing as a top-5 center in the league. Does it really matter if it wouldn't necessarily be the same in a different location?

Ya, for sure.

Like I said, I'm just looking at it from a logical perspective. I'm not looking for a reason to avoid being miserable, or any of that crap. Who knows if they'll be able to keep all their top wings with these huge deals coming. But looking at their top 2 Cs, like I said, it's got absolutely nothing on Crosby and Malkin, and they lost all the time. They'll be still be beatable.

Ya, for sure.

Like I said, I'm just looking at it from a logical perspective. I'm not looking for a reason to avoid being miserable, or any of that crap. Who knows if they'll be able to keep all their top wings with these huge deals coming. But looking at their top 2 Cs, like I said, it's got absolutely nothing on Crosby and Malkin, and they lost all the time. They'll be still be beatable.

Crosby and Malkin also spent most of their primes saddled with Bylsma  :w00t:

There are two teams with rosters containing 2 centers with over a point per game if I'm remembering correctly. Toronto is one, and they have a kid on an ELC who was merely games played away from the most goals of any NHLer in the world, in his 18-20 year seasons. I'm pretty freaking bummed

Right. But teams with a better 1-2 C punch proved beatable. If Toronto winning a single cup one day or even one day soon is a deal breaker, I understand the angst a little bit more. 

But I don't really care if they win one, and even 1 is no certainty. I just want Buffalo to win one. There will be a playoff series where Eichel and Mittelstadt outperform Matthews and Tavares one day. It'll be fun.

Crosby and Malkin also spent most of their primes saddled with Bylsma  :w00t:

Who beat Babcock in the final :lol:

Edited by Thorny

Right. But teams with a better 1-2 C punch proved beatable. If Toronto winning a cup one day or even one day soon is a dealb breaker, I understand the angst a little bit more. 

But I don't really care if they win one, and even 1 is no certainty. I just want Buffalo to win one. There will be a playoff series where Eichel and Mittelstadt outperform Matthews and Tavares one day. It'll be fun.

Do you believe in miracles? Yes!

Right. But teams with a better 1-2 C punch proved beatable. If Toronto winning a single cup one day or even one day soon is a deal breaker, I understand the angst a little bit more.

Yeah, but I understand and am grateful that no one thing guarantees a cup. It is within that framework that I am depressed

Weird. Lou leaves a team he helped build to keep a guy like JT on the new team, only to lose said franchise center to the team he just left.

True.

The silver lining in this is the Aisles got screwed. But even that is kind of dingy as every single person following hockey, other than Charlie ;) , knew he was leaving Brooklyn ASAP.

If anything in my mind the Tavares signing with the Laffs makes me want to keep Ryan O even more. 2 years down the road I will Take Eichel Middlestat and Oreilly over Tavares and company any day. Add in Dahlin and forget it. Trade Ryan now and t makes us a worse team present and in the future.

If anything in my mind the Tavares signing with the Laffs makes me want to keep Ryan O even more. 2 years down the road I will Take Eichel Middlestat and Oreilly over Tavares and company any day. Add in Dahlin and forget it. Trade Ryan now and t makes us a worse team present and in the future.

I still agree with this.  I still lean more towards keeping ROR, which makes my desired return in any ROR trade absolutely stupid.

I think this is bananas. Two years from now Tavares will still be in his prime and Matthews will only be better. Both could very well be better than Eichel at this point (and most likely will be better than Mittelstadt). Kadri and O'Reilly aren't too far apart.

But I'll take Dahlin over any six of their defenseman combined into one superbody.

I think this is bananas. Two years from now Tavares will still be in his prime and Matthews will only be better. Both could very well be better than Eichel at this point (and most likely will be better than Mittelstadt). Kadri and O'Reilly aren't too far apart.

But I'll take Dahlin over any six of their defenseman combined into one superbody.

When does prime for an NHL player end?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.