Politics....

SDS

I agree that Trump is a bigger ahole than Trudeau.

See, any political statements on this board will elicit a reaction. I’d prefer the hockey board to remain nonpolitical going forward.

It will creep into hockey threads inevitably.  It already has, time after time after time.  And yes, I've been responsible a couple of times, but not every time.

I agree that Trump is a bigger ahole than Trudeau.

See, any political statements on this board will elicit a reaction. I’d prefer the hockey board to remain nonpolitical going forward.

I would agree that the hockey aspects should be free of political influence! The 2 don't jive. But isn't a reaction what you are looking for when you post anything? Whether or not sabrespace allows it is irrelevant to me, plenty of other spaces so discuss such things. I don't post here often but always read it, I don't see the harm in allowing discussion outside of hockey, in threads that are off topic. I've come to respect alot of the opinions of people here, and would enjoy being able to read their insights on political issues.

I mean where are we headed as a society when we can't discuss core issues because of peoples reactions? Who decides that what one person says is acceptable and not the others. Keep it respectful and we should be able to discuss "sensitive" issues, it's a slippery slope if we can't..

Keep it respectful and we should be able to discuss "sensitive" issues

And there is the rub, innit? I think this community has shown that unless there is earnest moderation, disrespect is a given.

Maybe the problem wasn’t that there was a political thread. Maybe the problem was that it was left to its own devices.

And there is the rub, innit? I think this community has shown that unless there is earnest moderation, disrespect is a given.

Maybe the problem wasn’t that there was a political thread. Maybe the problem was that it was left to its own devices.

Maybe the problem wasn't that it was left to its own devices. Maybe the problem was that the earnest moderation was itself disrespectful.

Maybe the problem wasn't that it was left to its own devices. Maybe the problem was that the earnest moderation was itself disrespectful.

Exactly.  The fact that that thread no longer even exists reminds me of this:

http://www.openculture.com/2017/08/long-before-photoshop-the-soviets-mastered-the-art-of-erasing-people-from-photographs-and-history-too.html

Politics and Religion are two topics of discussion where there can really be no productive discussion. If someone disagrees with the person or the politician they support they are automatically wrong and the person becomes a mortal enemy.

Its among the most stupid topics of discussion imaginable because it turns otherwise rational people into completely irrational morons.

As such I would prefer not to even have any politics discussed here as within 2 or 3 posts it will devolve into "I support this person and the other person is a POS and so are you."

Edited by matter2003

Politics and Religion are two topics of discussion where there can really be no productive discussion. If someone disagrees with the person or the politician they support they are automatically wrong and the person becomes a mortal enemy.

Its among the most stupid topics of discussion imaginable because it turns otherwise rational people into completely irrational morons.

As such I would prefer not to even have any politics discussed here as within 2 or 3 posts it will devolve into "I support this person and the other person is a POS and so are you."

and the above is the problem with society. We have become a populace of extremes, with no ability to converse on subjects we disagree with.

It is near impossible to remain in the middle on a topic when each side declares war on the opposing view

and the above is the problem with society. We have become a populace of extremes, with no ability to converse on subjects we disagree with.

It is near impossible to remain in the middle on a topic when each side declares war on the opposing view

And avoiding the uncomfortable conversations only makes it worse. 

Is it a conversation though if it's just two people yelling at a wall?  There are people who do want to listen, but usually it's the extremes who are the most vocal.  I wish we could pinpoint the exact moment where being disagreed with became such an affront.  Disagreement is healthy, it makes things interesting.  Take it and learn from it instead of acting like someone just shot your puppy.  Sadly I think we're a long way from people realizing that.

Is it a conversation though if it's just two people yelling at a wall?  There are people who do want to listen, but usually it's the extremes who are the most vocal.  I wish we could pinpoint the exact moment where being disagreed with became such an affront.  Disagreement is healthy, it makes things interesting.  Take it and learn from it instead of acting like someone just shot your puppy.  Sadly I think we're a long way from people realizing that.

No, but I think that's how it starts. It's definitely ugly for awhile, but continued engagement, even if the engagement is high-strung, is a necessary first step to improving overall discourse. About the only ones I don't think should be given the time of day are the rabid conspiracy theorists of both extremes.

No, but I think that's how it starts. It's definitely ugly for awhile, but continued engagement, even if the engagement is high-strung, is a necessary first step to improving overall discourse. About the only ones I don't think should be given the time of day are the rabid conspiracy theorists of both extremes.

See, I think those conspiracies wind up being the most uniting.  That's the rare case where you get to see both sides join up for a good laugh.  "You and I may be different, but at least you're not that guy."

See, I think those conspiracies wind up being the most uniting.  That's the rare case where you get to see both sides join up for a good laugh.  "You and I may be different, but at least you're not that guy."

I remember seeing a study somewhere that showed someone is more likely to moderate their own views when they're exposed to an extreme version of their side than they would when exposed to a well-reasoned argument from the other side.

Nobody is listening at that stage so it really doesn't matter. Both sides are dug in like trench warfare in WWI and nothing anyone says will change their opinion, if only so their pride and ego doesn't take a hit publicly.

At that point it doesnt become about the topic of discussion it becomes personal and about them keeping their "dignity" and not "losing" by changing course.

Edited by matter2003

I remember seeing a study somewhere that showed someone is more likely to moderate their own views when they're exposed to an extreme version of their side than they would when exposed to a well-reasoned argument from the other side.

Totally believe this.

It's really nice to have a place to enjoy the company of like minded individuals, and not have to worry about all that crap infiltrating every single discussion. About all I watch on television is sports and documentaries, because I can't stand to listen to all the other garbage out there with people trying to directly or indirectly tell me how I should think.

My vote is "NO" to any politics. Even if it's in a separate forum. Keep Sabrespace pristine.

That 'crap" you speak of might be nothing more than a difference of opinion from yours.  Ever hear about the value of an open mind?

I like the idea of clubs, SDS, moderated by whomever starts the club. 

Lately, I've been seeking to escape political discussion, and a pure hockey forum suits that purpose. 

I have strong political feelings that I have felt like expressing, but I feel that a public discussion of political ideas is too easily targeted by trollers and bots.  Even here, we'd not be easily protected from probably outside interference,

I'd like the opportunity on this forum to discuss local Buffalo politics, but I think that the club idea suits that type of discussion best.  I am of the opinion that discussion benefits from strict moderation.  It's like a meeting, and the most productive meeting I've attended go by Robert's Rules. 

I'm hoping some folks step up to the challenge of starting such clubs.  Maybe I'll start my own and call it the Schenectedy, or maybe Watertown Club. 

I like the idea of clubs, SDS, moderated by whomever starts the club. 

Lately, I've been seeking to escape political discussion, and a pure hockey forum suits that purpose. 

I have strong political feelings that I have felt like expressing, but I feel that a public discussion of political ideas is too easily targeted by trollers and bots.  Even here, we'd not be easily protected from probably outside interference,

I'd like the opportunity on this forum to discuss local Buffalo politics, but I think that the club idea suits that type of discussion best.  I am of the opinion that discussion benefits from strict moderation.  It's like a meeting, and the most productive meeting I've attended go by Robert's Rules. 

I'm hoping some folks step up to the challenge of starting such clubs.  Maybe I'll start my own and call it the Schenectedy, or maybe Watertown Club. 

I agree on the strict moderation.  It's the only way it works IMO.

I agree on the strict moderation. It's the only way it works IMO.

It’s EXTREMELY difficult IMO. That’s why if I ever get my board license converted to do the upgrade, I’d like to separate the hockey mods from any other discussion. If there are a dozen people invested in a long term discussion about a topic, I’d love to just give them ownership of the environment, instead of relying on a one sized fits all solution.

I’m hoping the club feature allows the participants to own that discussion at a level closer to the participants.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.