Carter Hutton signs with Sabres — $2.75MM x 3 years

WildCard

@WGR550

Hutton - we haven't talked a ton of numbers, but I think the main goal is for me to come in and win hockey games while not rushing Linus Ullmark. You don't want things to get rushed for him. I'm committed to the team and here to help everyone get better. #Sabres

@WGR550

Hutton - Buffalo was the right fit all around, it made sense. Me knowing Jerry Forton, Andrew Allen, and Phil Housley, it was a comfort factor for me. Just to be part of the turn around is something I take pride in. Looking forward to it. #Sabres

@WGR550
Hutton - we haven't talked a ton of numbers, but I think the main goal is for me to come in and win hockey games while not rushing Linus Ullmark. You don't want things to get rushed for him. I'm committed to the team and here to help everyone get better. #Sabres

@WGR550
Hutton - Buffalo was the right fit all around, it made sense. Me knowing Jerry Forton, Andrew Allen, and Phil Housley, it was a comfort factor for me. Just to be part of the turn around is something I take pride in. Looking forward to it. #Sabres

I don't know how his actual goaltending ability will be but man he's has a 180 difference in attitude/personality to Lehner.

@WGR550

@WGR550

That first quote looks like what Sabrespace would have written up. I think it's what we're all hoping for.

That's basically what Mike Vernon was to Chris Osgood.  Vernon was with the Red Wings for three years culminating with the first Cup win in the Wings dynastic run.  He left after that season and the Wings repeated their championship the following year with Osgood the primary goaltender, and he was a mainstay for the Wings for years.

That first quote looks like what Sabrespace would have written up. I think it's what we're all hoping for.

That's basically what Mike Vernon was to Chris Osgood.  Vernon was with the Red Wings for three years culminating with the first Cup win in the Wings dynastic run.  He left after that season and the Wings repeated their championship the following year with Osgood the primary goaltender, and he was a mainstay for the Wings for years.

I agree with this take.  I think Hutton has the right attitude, and could very well post better numbers with more frequent games.  He's apparently just fine with being a mentor, which is one of the reasons he was hired, so...

I agree with this take.  I think Hutton has the right attitude, and could very well post better numbers with more frequent games.  He's apparently just fine with being a mentor, which is one of the reasons he was hired, so...

It sounds like a polar opposite of anything we saw from Lehner.  That definitely lends itself to the change in culture message that is running rampant.

It sounds like a polar opposite of anything we saw from Lehner.  That definitely lends itself to the change in culture message that is running rampant.

Yeah, we're reducing competition in goal cuz noone seems to be able to raise the bar using that model. Time for support and binkies instead.  :D

Before someone lights this post up, chill out, it's a joke.

• SDS unpinned this topic
3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Continuing the Hutton discussion, even if he's only a league-average backup, that is a very important role on any team. Do y'all remember when we missed the playoffs by about 3 points in 08/09, and Lalime's dreadful performance won 5 of the 24 games he played?

oof, why'd you have to remind me of that name

• Haha (+1) 1

Also, with Hutton, if you're interested in shot quality splits...

He's not too different from Lehner against shots in high-danger areas. He also appears to have led the league in save percentage from "medium range" shots, which is a big bump from his career average, and could fall down again. 

I'm as hopeful as anybody, but we didn't acquire Marc Andre Fleury. And I think everyone knows that.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Putting this where it belongs:

But even if Hutton has a 10% change of being a late-bloomer Tim Thomas type, the investment is minimal enough that there isn't much risk imo. Even if he regresses back to league average goalie or even further to backup level, that doesn't hurt us much in the long run.

What I think i am convincing myself is that the Sabres as a whole kept making high-risk swing for the fences additions (ROR, Kane, Okposo, Moulson) that had to work out or we were screwed with a high AAV/term contract. We missed on too many of those to build a quality team. Now the strategy seems to be throw enough darts in the low cost market to increase your chances of enough hitting to make an impact. If you miss on those, they are only a few million and short term where you can trade them away or just wait them out without crippling your dart-throwing ability next year.

36 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Also, with Hutton, if you're interested in shot quality splits...

He's not too different from Lehner against shots in high-danger areas. He also appears to have led the league in save percentage from "medium range" shots, which is a big bump from his career average, and could fall down again. 

I'm as hopeful as anybody, but we didn't acquire Marc Andre Fleury. And I think everyone knows that.

If he can be a plus in the lockerroom, and stop some 1-on-0 chances, he'll be an improvement.

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

If he can be a plus in the lockerroom, and stop some 1-on-0 chances, he'll be an improvement.

Unless everything else gets worse. 

But in general, yeah I agree, and nothing suggests he won't be better in the locker room, in shootouts, and at least as good on the ice in gameplay. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Unless everything else gets worse. 

But in general, yeain I agree, and nothing suggests he won't be better in the locker room, in shootouts, and at least as good on the ice in gameplay. 

Thing is, even if his GAA & SV% are as bad as Lehner's were, that his goals against will be the expected shots to go in rather than the back breakers, the Sabres should be better off w/ Hutton/Ullmark than they were w/ Lehner/Johnson.

Was hoping for a trade to get a better goalie than Hutton, but the Sabres goaltending is in the best place it has been for at least the last 4 years by a significant margin.  If Linus pans out, we're good.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Thing is, even if his GAA & SV% are as bad as Lehner's were, that his goals against will be the expected shots to go in rather than the back breakers, the Sabres should be better off w/ Hutton/Ullmark than they were w/ Lehner/Johnson.

Was hoping for a trade to get a better goalie than Hutton, but the Sabres goaltending is in the best place it has been for at least the last 4 years by a significant margin.  If Linus pans out, we're good.

Is there any evidence that a soft goal against predicts future with-in game poor play?

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Is there any evidence that a soft goal against predicts future with-in game poor play?

The eye test & experience says there is.  You'd have to ask Randy or one of the other analytics experts as to whether that is a reliably trackable stat.  There may not be a stat tracking that as the back breaking bad goal against is a small subset of an event (scoring a goal) that only happens about 6 times per hockey game.

And that reliably consistent bad goal against is an even smaller subset.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

I just recently remembered my favorite Hutton moment.

This play caused the stadium to be the most pumped I (in person) have seen it be during the tank years.

DAMN!  It's amazing Hutton's head is still on his body after hitting the ice like that.  His neck must be quite limber.

So.  I really watched him tonight.  His positioning reminded me more of Donny Edwards than any Sabres goalie I can remember.  That's a long time ago, and Hutton has five inches on Edwards.  (Easy, PA, we're talking about height.)  But his movement was a lot quicker, like he was trying to channel Hasek. In particular, he works his stick SO well.  (PA, again.)  I'm worried about shots to his far high side if teams figure him out, but he played a nice game tonight.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.