Carter Hutton signs with Sabres — $2.75MM x 3 years

WildCard

@andystrickland

Sounds like Carter Hutton will in fact be joining the Buffalo #Sabres. Best opportunity for him. Had a lot of interest. More info to come Sunday  #stlblues

He's a Fox Sports reporter

Edited by WildCard

Despite others having reservations, I think this is a great add.  I guess the caveat is I would prefer 2 years but if it's 3 I think I can live with it.

Goalies are an odd breed (looking at you dark :P ) and many seem to be the late blooming variety.  His age doesn't bother me and I would prefer a little older goalie to be paired with Ullmark.  Ullmark's the young guy who will hopefully be the future.  I have no problem pairing him with a 32/33 year old who has been around the block.  Let's just hope the money isn't crazy and the term is 3 years or less (preferably 2).  The Athletic had a nice piece on him yesterday.

I like Hutton.  I was surprised when I looked at his resume of how he was improved over the last 5 years.

at 28 years old  40gms .910 2.62 1SO (NSH)

29, 18 gms, .902 2.61 1So (NSH)

30, 17 gms, .918 2.33 2SO (NSH)

31, 30 gms, .913 2.39 4SO (Stl)

32, 32 gms, .931 2.09 3SO (Stl)

Compare to Tim Thomas

28, 4 gms, .907 3.01 0SO (Bos)

31, 38 gms, .917 2.77 1SO (Bos)

32, 66 gms. .905 3.13 3SO (Bos)

33, 57 gms, .921 2.44 3SO (Bos)

From 33-37 Thomas was arguably one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL.  I'm not saying that Hutton does the same thing, but it is not outside the realm of possibility.

TBN posted a story saying it’s expected to be a 3 year deal valued at 10-11M.

Harrington authored it. He said Hutton’s being signed as the starter. Which is contrary to what JBOT’s said about how he expects the goalies to be used next season.

I guess I wouldn't hate a 3x3 deal. I'd still prefer 2 yr but that's not the worst. Much less happy if the dollars start creeping up toward $4M/yr.

As long as he can give us a bit better than Lehner, his locker room presence will will make up for any "overpayment" if he's 3 years 4mil per. Supposedly he's a real good guy, a team guy, and I'd imagine would mesh well with Ullmark.  

Exactly spot on. Older, experienced guy with a solid history of not being psychotic. Hope the contract doesn't cause problems.

Mentioned on WGR this  morning, $4M would make him the 25th paid goalie in the league, which feels okay for a newly signed 1B type goalie. 

Lots of bad goalies get paid too much money. 

If it's 3 x $4mil then I'll have to try really hard to find a bright side. He's not Lehner, sure. And Lehner would have cost us over $4mil/yr. 

But it's not like he's better than Lehner. He's just bad in a different way. 

I guess if he's better than Chad Johnson...

3 x $3.5 and I would be able to bite my tongue. 

Hutton is 6'1, will turn 33 in December and is from...Thunder Bay, Ontario!

So if Hutton is indeed joining, then JBott doesn't hate ALL Canadians -- especially not those who played 4 years of NCAA hockey, like Hutton.

Issue never was whether he hated Canadians, but rather whether he has a problem with drafting from the CHL.  Hutton, as you say didn't play in the CHL, but he's also not a Botterill draftee.

As long as he can give us a bit better than Lehner, his locker room presence will will make up for any "overpayment" if he's 3 years 4mil per. Supposedly he's a real good guy, a team guy, and I'd imagine would mesh well with Ullmark.

If he can give us Lehner productivity and add in stopping every third shootout attempt we can probably pick up several wins right there.

Edited by Sherman

Issue never was whether he hated Canadians, but rather whether he has a problem with drafting from the CHL.  Hutton, as you say didn't play in the CHL, but he's also not a Botterill draftee.

Botterill just hates younger Canadians. This guy is too old to count.

Youze guys need to get the narrative straight.

Hutton is 6'1, will turn 33 in December and is from...Thunder Bay, Ontario!

So if Hutton is indeed joining, then JBott doesn't hate ALL Canadians -- especially not those who played 4 years of NCAA hockey, like Hutton.

Has nothing to do with hating canadians or signing ufas who played in the chl years ago. It's about drafting

Lots of bad goalies get paid too much money.

If it's 3 x $4mil then I'll have to try really hard to find a bright side. He's not Lehner, sure. And Lehner would have cost us over $4mil/yr.

But it's not like he's better than Lehner. He's just bad in a different way.

I guess if he's better than Chad Johnson...

3 x $3.5 and I would be able to bite my tongue.

Right. 25th pay rate in the league might be market value, but poor goaltending isn't where you want to be paying market value. That's the spot to pay less than market value.

TBN posted a story saying it’s expected to be a 3 year deal valued at 10-11M.

Harrington authored it. He said Hutton’s being signed as the starter. Which is contrary to what JBOT’s said about how he expects the goalies to be used next season.

JBot mentioned Ullmark around 20 games was the goal. Still developing.

Does the 3 year deal make sense due to the Seattle expansion?  The Sabres would have to expose one goalie, and if Hutton is only on a 2 year deal, would not qualify.  Ullmark should be ready by then and need to be protected.  Not too familiar with the rules and may be reading way too much into it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.