TRADE: Matt Hunwick and Conor Sheary to Buffalo per Friedman

Brawndo

So, for those of us who are time challenged (or reading charts challenged)... could you add a take to this so it becomes easier to see what you are pointing out here?

Is this good, bad, whatever?  I'm sure i could figure this out if I stared at it long enough.  But I'd prefer to read your thoughts on it and have the chart as supporting evidence.

I'll be honest, I'm not super informed on how to read them either, but the important parts of that chart are the big red line (which seperates good from bad), and the labels "Dull" "Good" "Fun" and "Bad.

The higher up on the chart you are, the fewer shots allowed against your team per sixty minutes while you were on the ice (more dull). The further right on the scale the more shots your team took per sixty minutes while you were on the ice (more good)

To add another hitch in the giddy-up, this is showing how other players performed with him specifically. In the black is how a player, corresponding to their jersey number and listed in the chart to the right, played per sixty minutes while they were on the ice WITH Sheary. In the red is without. So you can compare how they played with him vs. without him.  In general most player's qualities got better WITH Sheary rather than away from him. Also, they're almost all above the "Good" line.

I think. Someone who actually knows things feel free to correct me.

But I think all of us want Sheary to score 20 goals and hit 40 points so I don't look at upgrading the pick as problem necessarily.  If you can find a landing spot for Hunwick you do it.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't hit those numbers

I'll be honest, I'm not super informed on how to read them either, but the important parts of that chart are the big red line (which seperates good from bad), and the labels "Dull" "Good" "Fun" and "Bad.

The higher up on the chart you are, the fewer shots allowed against your team per sixty minutes while you were on the ice (more dull). The further right on the scale the more shots your team took per sixty minutes while you were on the ice (more good)

To add another hitch in the giddy-up, this is showing how other players performed with him specifically. In the black is how a player, corresponding to their jersey number and listed in the chart to the right, played per sixty minutes while they were on the ice WITH Sheary. In the red is without. So you can compare how they played with him vs. without him.  In general most player's qualities got better WITH Sheary rather than away from him. Also, they're almost all above the "Good" line.

I think. Someone who actually knows things feel free to correct me.

I appreciate the read out and response.  Thanks!

I think this is a great deal.  How does Hunwick compare to Bogosian?  Perhaps he's BOGO insurance?

Pittsburgh fans react

I found this exchange interesting RE Hunwick:

as much as the fanbase hates hunwick does not mean he has negative value in the NHL, one bad year does not determine value, that's not how it works.

The opposite of everything you said is true. Hunwick is most definitely viewed negatively because of his salary and not being able to crack a linup that had Chad Rueldle in it.

What JBot did was trade a 3rd for Sheary and our new whipping boy.

RE Sheary:

I was a big Sheary fan so this definitely hurts when you see a player try so hard all over the ice while a Kessel gives you his 20% effort. BUT, I completely get it and I think Sheary will score 20 if the put him on the PP which will give us a 3rd.
Edited by Doohickie

I'll be shocked if he doesn't hit those numbers

Based on his one 20 goal season on a team with far more talent than we have? I hope I'm proven wrong, but I'll take the "under" on Sheary scoring 20 with our lineup. He was demoted to the 4th line late last year by the Pens (after a poor second half of the season).

A good move since we gave up just about nothing for them and we need forward scoring depth in the worst way.

In general though, I don't like it when a GM is fixated on obtaining players from their former organization. We see it with the Bills where we're picking up former Panthers left-and-right. Tim Murray wanted his former Ottawa guy Lehner in net. And, JBotts is adding former Pens left-and-right (e.g., Wilson). I get that they know these players, but I find it a bit myopic.

what if the players are good?

Hunwick would have been our 3rd highest scoring Dman two years ago, and our 4th highest scorer last season (and he only played half the season last year). He's also played 26 playoff games and won a cup.

Obviously his salary was part of the reason why Pens made the deal.  If some of our young D steps up I see him being moved. We haven't even begun FA yet so he could be a throw in on a deal for a team that needs D depth.

Plus, there's always a playoff team who is looking to bolster their D due to injuries or whatever at the trade deadline.  

what if the players are good?

What if they're not?  Read the Penguins board I linked above.  Hunwick sucks in their opinion, and Sheary is more or less JAG.

The alternative view is that Hunwick had a rough season after injury (thinking Antipin here), and Sheary is a good complementary piece to a high skill scoring line who went through a late slump last season.  Plus Sheary has a motor that doesn't stop, so kind of like a Baptiste who scores.

Edited by Doohickie

What if they're not?  Read the Penguins board I linked above.  Hunwick sucks in their opinion, and Sheary is more or less JAG.

The alternative view is that Hunwick had a rough season after injury (thinking Antipin here), and Sheary is a good complementary piece to a high skill scoring line who went through a late slump last season.  Plus Sheary has a motor that doesn't stop, so kind of like a Baptiste who scores.

Obviously we have to see these guys on the ice in Buffalo, but IMHO when a top organization gives away two players for basically nothing it must be because they believe the team is better off without them and their salaries. Hunwick is a journeyman. Buffalo will be his 6th team. And, Sheary was demoted to the 4th line last year (4 goals in his final 44 games).

Again, I like the move since we're awful and we gave up basically nothing. But, we are adding salary and contracts and I personally don't see it as making much of a difference next year one way or the other.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.