TRADE: Matt Hunwick and Conor Sheary to Buffalo per Friedman

Brawndo

Dgtf3pWW4AA4xKS.jpg

So, for those of us who are time challenged (or reading charts challenged)... could you add a take to this so it becomes easier to see what you are pointing out here?

Is this good, bad, whatever?  I'm sure i could figure this out if I stared at it long enough.  But I'd prefer to read your thoughts on it and have the chart as supporting evidence.

So, for those of us who are time challenged (or reading charts challenged)... could you add a take to this so it becomes easier to see what you are pointing out here?

Is this good, bad, whatever?  I'm sure i could figure this out if I stared at it long enough.  But I'd prefer to read your thoughts on it and have the chart as supporting evidence.

Hunwick is bad and dull without Sheary.

Sheary doesn't rely on anyone, he's pretty consistent. There are a few guys that play much better without him, but for the most part they play better with him, including Crosby

You want to be to the right of the red line. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

Hunwick is bad and dull without Sheary.

Sheary doesn't rely on anyone, he's pretty consistent. There are a few guys that play much better without him, but for the most part they play better with him, including Crosby

You want to be to the right of the red line. 

Awesome.  Thanks guys!

A good move since we gave up just about nothing for them and we need forward scoring depth in the worst way.

In general though, I don't like it when a GM is fixated on obtaining players from their former organization. We see it with the Bills where we're picking up former Panthers left-and-right. Tim Murray wanted his former Ottawa guy Lehner in net. And, JBotts is adding former Pens left-and-right (e.g., Wilson). I get that they know these players, but I find it a bit myopic.

It also depends on who is available at a given moment.  Giving a 1st rounder for Lehner is different than giving a 3rd or 4th for Sheary and claiming Wilson off waivers for nothing.

Especially when Sheary is the right age at a position of need, who may have depressed his value with a disappointing 30 pt season after scoring 53 the year before. His Corsi/PDO stats appear relatively unchanged, so this may just be a good buy low based on team perception.

Especially when Sheary is the right age at a position of need, who may have depressed his value with a disappointing 30 pt season after scoring 53 the year before. His Corsi/PDO stats appear relatively unchanged, so this may just be a good buy low based on team perception.

Ya, his stats the season before last are very impressive; 53 points in 61 games.  Don't know how much of that was Crosby but if he's playing with Jack I would hope those are the numbers JBott is bringing him in to produce.

Ya, his stats the season before last are very impressive; 53 points in 61 games.  Don't know how much of that was Crosby but if he's playing with Jack I would hope those are the numbers JBott is bringing him in to produce.

The biggest thing I saw change based on the numbers is the usage - Offensive zone starts of 63% in the good year, and 55% in the down year.

Ask our friend ROR how usage can change your scoring output :nana:

+++ three pluses in my book and so it begins... now ROR trade becomes less likely. Get another winger this year and gotta doubt ROR goes anywhere till our Lord and Savior matured.

I thought the opposite, more likely he gets traded.

Also, cant imagine keeping ROR after it coming out that the Sabres were willing to trade him away for draft picks.

A good move since we gave up just about nothing for them and we need forward scoring depth in the worst way.

In general though, I don't like it when a GM is fixated on obtaining players from their former organization. We see it with the Bills where we're picking up former Panthers left-and-right. Tim Murray wanted his former Ottawa guy Lehner in net. And, JBotts is adding former Pens left-and-right (e.g., Wilson). I get that they know these players, but I find it a bit myopic.

Go with what you know.

:huh:

Crosby w/ Sheary (black box w/ 87): 66 shots for per 60, 56 shots against per 60

Crosby w/o Sheary (red box w/ 87): 71 shots for per 60, 52 shots against per 60

Whoops, completely missed the red 87 square

Yeah, Crosby is much better without Sheary

I see your point, and yet it may be that he has an advantage in trading with his former team- relationships are already built, there's not as much suspicion.  He has a deeper knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses.  Before we get too concerned we need to see how one or two JBot-&-Pitt trades work out (and not judge JBot on what XGMTM did).

The reason why we got so much for so little was so the Pens could clear cap space.

Well, and this.  If the Pens needed a favor, they go to someone you know.

Edited by Doohickie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.