Alex Nylander Watch

darksabre

Nylander in 2018-19  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How far does Nylander go this year?

• Plateau season for the Amerks
    • Better season for the Amerks
    • Occasional call-up to the Sabres
    • Significant ice time for the Sabres
    • Other

I didn’t think Alex was good at the WJC last year, despite good numbers.

The previous year however, he was excellent.

I wonder if the injury was affecting him.

It might have been, but it wasn't a lingering injury that gave him the primary assist on Belarus' only goal against the Swedes. It was a total brainfart & he has far too many of those.

Maybe a change of scenery is what he needs.

It might have been, but it wasn't a lingering injury that gave him the primary assist on Belarus' only goal against the Swedes. It was a total brainfart & he has far too many of those.

Maybe a change of scenery is what he needs.

He was sitting around looking pretty useless today.

• 11 months later...
36 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

So now that Nyls has had a year to recover from COR do you think we will see a better Nylander?

No, and the fact that that's even a sentence is absurd to me IMO. Was COR not good for him? Obviously not. But talking about any sort of 'recovery' from being hazed like that or whatever is wild to me

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

No, and the fact that that's even a sentence is absurd to me IMO. Was COR not good for him? Obviously not. But talking about any sort of 'recovery' from being hazed like that or whatever is wild to me

beg to differ, been in bad work environments where as a result didnt perform at my best despite trying. It made me tougher, but not a better worker.  Learned how to ignore the noise and id people to stay away from. What we dont know is how much of it is Alex's ability and how much this effected his play and trust me it did.  

Took some time feel unburdened, but I became aware of my true abilities once out of those situations.  We shall see, but I sensed at the end of the year Alex may be starting to take that next step. 

• Like (+1) 2

Nylander is very high on the list of Sabres I am curious to see if Krueger can have an effect on.

The way he reads the game is not dissimilar to Reinhart’s. I’m interested in seeing what he could do in Sam’s slot with Jack and Jeff.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, WildCard said:

And if it contributed to a genuine mental health problem? What then? 

Just now, WildCard said:

What is Cal O'Reilly doing to someone that could be that detrimental

Hazing in general can have very real negative psychological effects. And that's normal workplace or team-based hazing. They were living together. I just wouldn't dismiss out of hand the possibility of real damage being done.

Now, I'm not about to pump Nylander's tires as our answer to anything simply because COR has been gone for a longer period of time. Just saying that recovering from an abusive relationship of any kind isn't like flipping a light switch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Just for completeness -- here's the rest of the 1st round.

In fairness to XGMTM, the hit rate dropped off quite a bit in this round.  Still -- Sergachev, Jost, McAvoy and Chychrun were drafted between #9 and #16.

And other guys on that list are just now turning pro, kind of like what Nylander should have been doing (and on the same note, Thompson as well).

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

And other guys on that list are just now turning pro, kind of like what Nylander should have been doing (and on the same note, Thompson as well).

@dudacek has mentioned it many times, but we'd all feel so much better about Nylander if he had spent the past two years putting up numbers in Sweden or the CHL. 

Thompson definitely sucks though. He took my O'Reilly bear away from me ?

• Like (+1) 1

So I don’t recall posting about the game notes interview where Alex talked about the bus thing as an intent to defend his performance. I’ve been both critical and supportive. 

I’ve always thought Cal was an ass. Never liked his presence. I’m sure Alex isn’t an idiot and saw him for the Ahole he appears to be. Are we going to blame Cal for the seasonal injury the kid suffers? Second year in a row with all sorts of missed time. 

I like the kid but step back at look at it....

5 hours ago, French Collection said:

Fabbro, selected 17th may end up having a nice career. Just turned pro with Nashville at year's end.

Saw him play at BU a few times last season.   Impressive.