Alex Nylander Watch

darksabre

Nylander in 2018-19  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How far does Nylander go this year?

• Plateau season for the Amerks
    • Better season for the Amerks
    • Occasional call-up to the Sabres
    • Significant ice time for the Sabres
    • Other

I’m not trying to say Alex is as good as Casey,

I am trying to say there has been a narrative built around each player based on a limited picture.

With Alex it was the fact he was overmatched as an 18-year-old AHLer and benched in the playoffs last year.

With Casey it was a flashy development camp cemented by a great, high-profile WJC.

People tend to ignore the fact Casey’s numbers weren’t overwhelming in college, and that Alex had a pretty good second half coming off an injury in Rochester.

Their overall bodies of work aren’t that different, especially considering they are of an age.

In other words you're making an argument based on the demonstrated performance data as opposed to narrative and opinion. 

Opinions may currently be 10:1 that Casey is a better player. And opinions matter. But a space alien coming to Earth and looking at their stats and performance would say "they're not that much different". 

Except that Casey resembles them a bit. 

Edited by Sakman

I’m not trying to say Alex is as good as Casey,

I am trying to say there has been a narrative built around each player based on a limited picture.

With Alex it was the fact he was overmatched as an 18-year-old AHLer and benched in the playoffs last year.

With Casey it was a flashy development camp cemented by a great, high-profile WJC.

People tend to ignore the fact Casey’s numbers weren’t overwhelming in college, and that Alex had a pretty good second half coming off an injury in Rochester.

Their overall bodies of work aren’t that different, especially considering they are of an age.

If you recall, Alex’s second half featured fewer than a handful of primary assists. He was not good down the stretch.

If you recall, Alex’s second half featured fewer than a handful of primary assists. He was not good down the stretch.

Yeah he was on a stacked roster riding the coattails of Colin Blackwell and the like.

Edited by inkman

He was not good at all. He piled up a bunch of secondary assists and people used that to push the narrative that was turning the corner or playing well. Reality is he was a drag on the team mostly all year. And Taylor didn’t really punish him for it until the games truly mattered. The Amerks had a playoff spot locked up well in advance. The games weren’t all that meaningful. Once they were, it didn’t take long at all to be benched. He couldn’t handle the intensity of the playoffs.

He was not good at all. He piled up a bunch of secondary assists and people used that to push the narrative that was turning the corner or playing well. Reality is he was a drag on the team mostly all year. And Taylor didn’t really punish him for it until the games truly mattered. The Amerks had a playoff spot locked up well in advance. The games weren’t all that meaningful. Once they were, it didn’t take long at all to be benched. He couldn’t handle the intensity of the playoffs.

Propping him up after that 2nd half smoke and mirror show would be wise and move him now while he still had a tiny bit of value.

He was even worse than Grigs. I’ve seen enough. I’ll hope he improves but expect the same. I like what you said about the weeds on the perimeter. That’s where he’s established his reputation. Is he suddenly going to grow a set and dive in the pile? I highly doubt it.

Propping him up after that 2nd half smoke and mirror show would be wise and move him now while he still had a tiny bit of value.

That’s about all we can expect to wring out of this first rounder.

Secondary assists can be indicative of smart puck movement and springing teammates for scoring chances

They can also be indicative of absolutely nothing.

I would need to watch the tape before completely writing them off.

Edited by Stu

Secondary assists can be indicative of smart puck movement and springing teammates for scoring chances

They can also be indicative of absolutely nothing.

I would need to watch the tape before completely writing them off.

In his case, the latter. Keith from Let’s Go Amerks went back and looked at a lot of those assists and found they were mostly nothing.

Kid will be traded along with O'Reilly I think :(

They shoud've traded him last year in the Summer while he still had some value.    Another year of underachievement last season and he's virtually worthless right now.   

I blame JBOT for not being more active last summer and getting some return for these clowns (Nylander, Larsson, Girgensons, Bogo, etc..) while they still had some value.      

They shoud've traded him last year in the Summer while he still had some value. Another year of underachievement last season and he's virtually worthless right now.

I blame JBOT for not being more active last summer and getting some return for these clowns (Nylander, Larsson, Girgensons, Bogo, etc..) while they still had some value.

I could argue that none -especially if you exclude Nylander- of those guys had value last summer. Certainly BOGO. He had no value in wpg.

Interesting thought just occurred to me. Moving ROR could benefit Nylander mentally. Obviously it should have zero sway on Botterill and his attempts to better the team. But if ROR is traded, you’d have to think it would help Nylander. If I was constantly badgered by some a-hole, I wouldn’t wanna go hang out with his brother for the rest of my playing days.

I must’ve dozed off ... I have no recollection of a Cal / Alex dust up ...

I must’ve dozed off ... I have no recollection of a Cal / Alex dust up ...

Alex was living with Cal in his rookie season.

Apparently, rather than mentoring, Cal essentially ignored the kid or worse.

Details are sparse but apparently it was the reason He was given away late in the year.

Alex was living with Cal in his rookie season.

Apparently, rather than mentoring, Cal essentially ignored the kid or worse.

Details are sparse but apparently it was the reason He was given away late in the year.

Thanks!

From another Nylander Watch thread:

https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/25517-alex-nylander-watch-thread-whats-up-with-him/?p=1017644

GMTM wanted him to have a similar experience that Jack did with Moulson. He arranged for Alex to live with the O’Reilly’s in Rochester last year. Apparently Alex did not have a drivers license and the he and his wife got sick of chauffeuring him around and really let him know that. In addition he was consistently tasked as one of designated individuals to clean the team bus after long road trips often at 2 or 3 in the morning. The reports were that Cal did very little to mentor him and adopted the IDGAF Attitude the rest of the Amerks Organization had and that Alex was adversely affected by this.

Nylander was playing on Sweden's top line @ the WJC & he was clearly the coattail rider on the line.

Mittelstadt made the US's top line click.

Maybe Nylander ends up getting it. Wouldn't want to even have a buck down on that bet. He plays scared of contact.

Nylander was playing on Sweden's top line @ the WJC & he was clearly the coattail rider on the line.

Mittelstadt made the US's top line click.

Maybe Nylander ends up getting it. Wouldn't want to even have a buck down on that bet. He plays scared of contact.

Agree on Nylander at the U20, he was not the straw that stirs the drink. He was one of their top players but Sweden's coaches did not view him as their go-to guy.