Crusader1969

2019 NHL Draft

I was just looking at some standings and draft info.

Some of us believe that we are wasting Jack and Sam's best years and need to make a move. Hard to argue with that but I'm sure some of us could.

I noticed the Avs used to be ahead of us in the over-all standings and they have that TOP line people keep saying is the "new" NHL (1 great line and the rest...servicable). Well here they are in a playoff spot, but they are only 5pts from a top 10 pick in the draft. They already have Sens pick (#1 for the time being) and could add another Top 10 the way they've been playing as of late. If their own pick wins a lottery position  they could end up with 2 picks in the top 4..

Are they wasting their top line's best years or are they going to add Hughes and another big piece and contend next year? Sabres are only 2pts ahead of the Avs over-all and playing badly, I don't want to use the "T" word but we could easily drop with them and push STL out of Top 10 and have 2 higher picks. I say this only because of the way we are playing and not that I want it to happen. Just looking in all directions. 

JBot could be in a win-win situation. ....

1. He could make a move to help them maybe make the playoffs.

2. Do nothing and hope the players themselves grow and figure out a way to make the playoffs.

3 Do nothing and drop like a rock for another shot at a Lottery pick.

4. He could just follow his plan and hope for the best.

The worst case would be ....maybe #3 would PO the fans.

If st Louis continue as they are we could be getting there pick this year. 

As of this Morning’s Standings the Sabres would have three picks in the first. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Hopefully one right around 12th.

LAVOIE!!

😎

• Like 1

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hopefully one right around 12th.

LAVOIE!!

😎

This is the reason the Sabres have sucked so long, they have not dipped into the talent pool which is the Halifax Mooseheads! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

This is the reason the Sabres have sucked so long, they have not dipped into the talent pool which is the Halifax Mooseheads! 

We'll get there yet, my friend.

• Like 1

So Sabres draft top 10 lottery their own, 12 St Louis’ and San Jose... bottom 8.... hopefully first two are a center and a scorer or both are centers and scorers last no 1 BPA

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

How? STL pick is top 10 protected and they are picking 10th as of now and could still win a lottery and move up.

9 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

How? STL pick is top 10 protected and they are picking 10th as of now and could still win a lottery and move up.

I'm even more curious as to why the season would suddenly end today.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

What happened to BPA?

Id say the BPA will be a center in this coming draft but if they had a LHD and a Center pretty well even on their board, they should take the Center.

2 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

My bad, Math is hard 

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I'm even more curious as to why the season would suddenly end today.

Well played 

14 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

In theory, couldnt the blues give the 10th pick to the Sabres? rather than risk giving the Sabres an unprotected pick in 2020.

Yup. My guess is that the Blues strongly consider giving up any pick from 6-10. But only if the GM has strong job security. 

Edited by Thorny

29 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yup. My guess is that the Blues strongly consider giving up any pick from 6-10. But only if the GM has strong job security. 

Not being sarcastic legit question why? or are you being sarcastic?

6 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Not being sarcastic legit question why? or are you being sarcastic?

Not being sarcastic. 

I suppose it depends on the state of mind of the organization. If they finish decently strong and have the 9th or 10th pick, maybe they have no problem using it and giving up next season's, as they think they'll be better.

But if they are in that 6-10 range (after lottery) and expect the same (or even worse, if they want to tear down some) the following season, maybe the GM gives up that pick this season, if he has the peace of mind that the 2020 1st will indeed be HIS to use. 

Is Ottawa happy enough with Tkachuk that they wouldn't take a re-do on that deferral, considering they are sitting in dead last right now? Hard to say. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like 1

Most gm's will gamble they will be better next year. 

• Like 1

A name to consider on day 2 of the draft (unless he has a crazy second half): Henri Nikkanen, the 6'2" center from Finland. 

27 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres better be picking in the 11 - 13 range, if they don't make the playoffs ... 

On 1/16/2019 at 12:51 PM, North Buffalo said:

So Sabres draft top 10 lottery their own, 12 St Louis’ and San Jose... bottom 8.... hopefully first two are a center and a scorer or both are centers and scorers last no 1 BPA

All three of them should be and will be BPA.

9 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Lavioe  😉

I like it ... do it again ...

With more feeling ... and make sure you get it right, or the Sabres will end up with who knows what ... 😉

LAVOIE!!

😎

And @Crusader1969 these guys have him listed as a C, which I don't think is right.

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I like it ... do it again ...

With more feeling ... and make sure you get it right, or the Sabres will end up with who knows what ... 😉

LAVOIE!!

😎

And @Crusader1969 these guys have him listed as a C, which I don't think is right.

ooh-la-la, draft  Lavoie 😎....

Better?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

ooh-la-la, draft  Lavoie 😎....

Better?

Much ...

• Haha 1

Jakob Pelletier is also an interesting name to keep an eye on.