Crusader1969

2019 NHL Draft

Sportsnet Sam Cosentino”s Top 31 Prospects for December

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-december/

Brett Leeson ranked 30th, is interesting. This is his third year eligible to be drafted. 

6’4” 220lbs Forward, Second in the CHL in scoring. Will Probably be on Team Canada in the WJC 

Alex Newhook is 15th and Cole Caufield is 16th 

SLIDE NEWHOOK SLIDE!!!! He won't.

Leeson for me would need to be a 2nd round pick. It's just hard to draft an overager in the first. That said, he is currently outscoring Cody Glass and is almost exactly the same age. Could be a late bloomer. 

I think Soderstrom has a good chance of becoming a Sabre. Swedish, puck moving defender who will almost be guaranteed to go in the 20's because he plays in the SHL and won't be putting up big numbers. 

Another overager that I like but later in the draft is 18yr old Kevin Wall. Committed to Penn State next year and currently with 22goals, and 43 points in 33 BCHL games. Perfect type of player to grab in the 4th and then just let grown for 3 years in college. I haven't seen vids on him so maybe he sucks at skating but I like seeing a winger putting up goals. 

What's frustrating right now is we don't have bigger lists. There's always players that are outside the 1st on these lists that shouldn't be. I think one of the things to watch is how fluid this draft will be. My guess is that with the emphasis in the NHL on the constant need for centers, you will see wingers slide a little. That said... looking over the last 4 drafts:

2015 - 12 total and 7 wingers taken in the top 15 (58%)

2016 - 9 total and 5 wingers taken in the top 15 (55%)

2017 - 5 total and 1 winger taken in the top 15 (20%)

2018 - 9 total and 7 wingers taken in the top 15 (77%) 

So they don't slide much. Looking over the draft I see a lot of defenders in that back half. 

2015 - 8 total, 4 after pick 15 (50%)

2016 - 9 total, 5 after pick 15 (55%)

2017- 9 total, 5 after pick 15 (55%)

2018 - 14 total, 9 after pick 15 (64%)

Just interesting to see. Not sure entirely what to make of it but I think Defenders typically slide more than forwards. 

Arthur Kaliyev, 6'2" 190lbs, (LW) is someone we haven't really talked much about. Well we probably should because I think he would be the perfect winger for Casey. He has an insane release and it is fast. He skates good and if you watch you will notice he will be going along and then burst forward. His puck handling and stick skills are pretty good. I would like to see him work on his agility but for a late round 1st, definitely a guy to consider. 

Currently sits 6th in the OHL for goals. 24g, 52pts in 34 games this season. 

Here he is at 16. He has a late June b-day so he's almost a year younger than some of his fellow draft mates. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like 1

I've seen Newhook ranked as high as 2nd, though i think that was prior to the season.

He participated in the World Junior A championship and didn't help his draft stock with 0G and 4A in 6games

Players who did help and solidify their rankings:

1) Vasily Podkolzin - has top 5 potential, only thing that could potentially drive him lower is a run on Centers.

2) Bobby Brink - 6GP 2G 6A for the USA.  He scored the game winning gold vs Russia.  You should be seeing his name more often as a late 1st rounder. Plays in the USHL.

From the recently released rankings of Cam Robinson from Dobber Sports  ranked 18th -  "Deadly offensive player with quick hands, quick feet, and a nose for finishing plays. He's been tearing the USHL apart at nearly a goal per game, and just had a standout performance a the World Junior A Championships."

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Like 1

Is Bots and team going to spread the wealth on the high end picks? Center, wing, D?

On 12/8/2018 at 10:34 AM, New Scotland (NS) said:

LAVOIE!!

😎

After the Ehlers conversation, you have my attention 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Scottysabres said:

Is Bots and team going to spread the wealth on the high end picks? Center, wing, D?

Hopefully only if players at those positions standout at the spots where the Sabres draft.  BPA.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

After the Ehlers conversation, you have my attention 🙂

im sure he will stick with the tried and true BPA. However, this is a center heavy draft, I could see 2 centers and a goalie taken.

• Like 1

Also Brink is a July bday meaning he is very young for this draft class as well. Another guy to look at late in round 1 for sure. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Also Brink is a July bday meaning he is very young for this draft class as well. Another guy to look at late in round 1 for sure. 

Interesting tidbit - his middle name is Orr.   Bobby Orr Brink.

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Interesting tidbit - his middle name is Orr.   Bobby Orr Brink.

Add a Y in there and he is all set... or just BOB... crap reminds me of a bad joke... involving a bathtub...

Edited by North Buffalo

On 12/21/2018 at 10:10 AM, Taro T said:

Hopefully only if players at those positions standout at the spots where the Sabres draft.  BPA.

BNCPA, you mean.

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

BNCPA, you mean.

I think they take a CHL player or two this year. I know JBot likes longer term control over Euros and NCAA guys but there are still some great players available in the CHL. If they have 3 first rounders in June, BPAs may be from Canada.

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

BNCPA, you mean.

Though it seems he has a CHL aversion, my guess is that is more circumstance than intention.

• Like 1

I don't think Lavoie will be available when the sabres draft. I think we draft 19th and 24th. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think Lavoie will be available when the sabres draft. I think we draft 19th and 24th. 

I think you are right, maybe at 19, but probably not.

A guy can dream, though, right?

Interesting, wonder if a GM will take Kappo one or go Hughes

Edited by LGR4GM

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

After watching the 1st game for both teams in the World Jrs, neither impressed.  Obviously limited sample size, but I didn’t feel either was close to the best player on the ice.  

It's tough for 17 year olds to shine, the 19 year olds are much more developed.

Kakko made a few nice plays but was almost invisible for most of the game.

Typically, teams like the Russians load up on 19 year olds, and the 18 year olds get less ice time and important roles.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I’m happy Botterill doesn’t have to make that decision 

On 12/24/2018 at 10:06 AM, LGR4GM said:

im going to guess that they also draft 12th overall with the Blues Pick, just a hunch that they will have a better 2nd half of the season and move up the standings. To me, this would be a win over getting their unprotected pick next season as I can see the Blues be vastly better next year.

They have 3 high end prospects in

Jordan Kyrou - 17 points in last 8 AHL games,

Klim Kostin - Captain of Russia's junior team and

Robert Thomas - probably the best of the lot

They should significantly add to the offense next season. If they can get Allen to play up to potential or get another decent goalie, they should be a playoff team once again.

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

im going to guess that they also draft 12th overall with the Blues Pick, just a hunch that they will have a better 2nd half of the season and move up the standings. To me, this would be a win over getting their unprotected pick next season as I can see the Blues be vastly better next year.

They have 3 high end prospects in

Jordan Kyrou - 17 points in last 8 AHL games,

Klim Kostin - Captain of Russia's junior team and

Robert Thomas - probably the best of the lot

They should significantly add to the offense next season. If they can get Allen to play up to potential or get another decent goalie, they should be a playoff team once again.

I would rather this happen. I understand that some fans would prefer to roll the dice on the  on them having a Top 5 Pick in 2020, but there is too much talent in the Blues Organization for this to be a realistic possibility. Grab Lavoie or Newhook 11-15 this June and move on. 

• Like 1