Crusader1969

2019 NHL Draft

7 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

19th and 10th spot as of this morning.

Just barely holding onto the St.Louis pick. Will be cheering for Columbus and Carolina tonight.

haha! thanks for the monday morning laugh 🙂

18th, actually. 

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I thought that as well but according to multiple sources on the Web, division winners who don’t make the conference finals get picks 24-27. 

If Stl makes the conference finals the best that pick can be is 28th.

This is from NHL.com

Entry Draft Order
The order of selection among the Member Clubs in each season shall be determined in the following manner:
A composite of all Member Clubs shall be prepared by placing:
i) First the Clubs which failed to qualify for the preceding playoffs in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest points total and followed by the Club having the next lowest points total, and so forth.
ii) The Clubs which participated in the preceding playoffs (but had not been ranked first in their respective Divisions and had not won the Stanley Cup that season) in order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.
iii) The Clubs which had been ranked first in their Divisions during the next preceding season (but had not won the Stanley Cup that season) in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.
iv) The Stanley Cup winner shall select last, thus, positioning all Clubs on the list.

So if you lose in the final you aren't guaranteed 2nd last pick of the first round? Did not know that. 

So basically the only thing the playoffs determines of the order is who picks last due to winning the Cup. Crazy.

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So if you lose in the final you aren't guaranteed 2nd last pick of the first round? Did not know that. 

So basically the only thing the playoffs determines of the order is who picks last due to winning the Cup. Crazy.

New this year? Wasn’t like that last season 

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

New this year? Wasn’t like that last season 

Must be to try and account for strength of conference or something. 

So when the playoffs start we'll know which pick Anaheim is taking, barring a St. Louis cup win. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Must be to try and account for strength of conference or something. 

So when the playoffs start we'll know which pick Anaheim is taking, barring a St. Louis cup win. 

Or if St. Louis is in the 20 spot and a team below them wins the cup.  Not much of a difference but we should hope Calgary wins the west 

Dream draft:

Alex Turcotte with the 1st. caulfield with the 2nd 

IMG_0224.JPG

Caufield is one of the best pure shooters in this class, might be the best. At the 2:30 mark you can see some of Turcotte's vision and passing. He's actually in a bunch of these with Caufield. 

Edited by LGR4GM

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Caufield is one of the best pure shooters in this class, might be the best. At the 2:30 mark you can see some of Turcotte's vision and passing. He's actually in a bunch of these with Caufield. 

Exactly right about Turcotte, Goal scoring isn't his main attribute but there he is 4th overall.  

If there is a silver lining to this season, its that the odds are that one of the premier players in the 2019 draft will be likely drafted by the Sabres.

Im firmly on team tank - hoping we end up 6th in the lottery at this point.

I think Turcotte has a severely underrated shot. He's fast and doesn't shy away from physical play. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I want to see Vancouver win the lottery this year.  They wind up with a new version of the Sedin twins, granted it's a defenseman and a forward this time around.

Good article in the athletic about Kaliyev by Pronmam. 

Great hockey sense, playmaking ability and probably best shot in the draft.  Average skater, not physical, compete level questioned 

teams will have to decide - is he Alex debrincat or  Grigerenko? 

8 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Good article in the athletic about Kaliyev by Pronmam. 

Great hockey sense, playmaking ability and probably best shot in the draft.  Average skater, not physical, compete level questioned 

teams will have to decide - is he Alex debrincat or  Grigerenko? 

If Chicago, Tampa, Toronto takes him it’s the former.

if the Sabres take him it’s the latter 

OK I'm done hoping for wins and the playoffs. 

I have avoided mock drafts and other lists for too long.

I want to get Dylan Cozens but there is no way the Sabres fall that far. If we get lottery luck at 3, that is a different story, even though the mock drafts have him around 4. I have a mistrust of Russian prospects and think that Podzolkin could be a Nichushkin.

They should get a high end forward with a pick in the 6-10 range. I hope it is a centre (Zegras, Dach, Turcotte) because Casey may not top out at 2C and these guys may good enough to make the jump in 1-2 years. Another thing I like about centres is they can move to the wing to fill a top 6 void. Much harder to make a C out of a winger.

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

OK I'm done hoping for wins and the playoffs. 

I have avoided mock drafts and other lists for too long.

I want to get Dylan Cozens but there is no way the Sabres fall that far. If we get lottery luck at 3, that is a different story, even though the mock drafts have him around 4. I have a mistrust of Russian prospects and think that Podzolkin could be a Nichushkin.

They should get a high end forward with a pick in the 6-10 range. I hope it is a centre (Zegras, Dach, Turcotte) because Casey may not top out at 2C and these guys may good enough to make the jump in 1-2 years. Another thing I like about centres is they can move to the wing to fill a top 6 void. Much harder to make a C out of a winger.

There is a very real possibility Buffalo ends up in the 4 to 6 range. Although, I don't know where Cozens would go admittedly.

I am also looking hard at St. Louis and their pick. Losing to Ottawa most certainly helps. They need to stay below 20th, and while it appears their on the cusp right now, they are trending in a favorable direction for our retention of that pick. Their goaltending is coming back down to earth, I'm looking at them between 13 to 17, unfortunately the standings are just to close to say as of now.

16 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Caufield, Newhook or Seitzer with the STL pick.

Hopefully scouts /gm over think Caufield’s height and he drops that far.  

Im leaning Knight over adding another Dman if Caufield and Newhook are gone

Looking at the standings as well as the Sabres remaining schedule this fine Sunday morning. There is a very real chance the Sabres end up at #4 or #5 over all.  Wow, just wow.

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Looking at the standings as well as the Sabres remaining schedule this fine Sunday morning. There is a very real chance the Sabres end up at #4 or #5 over all.  Wow, just wow.

The chances of them being any higher than five in the lottery are incredibly slim. But they can definitely get to five. Then after that it’s up to the lottery balls.

• Like (+1) 1

Im betting 4 the way Anaheim and NJ are skating, but who the hell knows

What if by some dumb luck you get that 1st pick, Vancouver comes calling saying they want to put the Hughes brothers together.  

Bo Horvat and their first ? 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

What if by some dumb luck you get that 1st pick, Vancouver comes calling saying they want to put the Hughes brothers together.  

Bo Horvat and their first ? 

Only if they are drafting 2