2018 - 2019 Sabres Prospects

GASabresIUFAN

• 2 weeks later...

More praise for 6K:  he won the OHL player of the week!

https://www.sudbury.com/sports/hes-on-fire-wolves-unstoppable-goalie-ukko-pekka-luukkonen-named-ohls-player-of-the-week-1077645

The Ontario Hockey League today announced the Buffalo Sabres prospect is the OHL ‘On the Run’ Player of the Week, for the week ending Oct. 7. He posted a 3-0-0-0 record with a goals-against-average of 1.66 and save percentage of .952.

With five straight wins, the Wolves sit atop the league’s overall standings with 12 points. On Thursday night, Luukkonen had a first-star performance between the pipes with a season-high 46 saves in a 3-2 win over the Niagara IceDogs. Luukkonen made 23 saves as part of a 4-1 victory over the Erie Otters on Friday night, then wrapped up the road trip with 30 stops in a 3-2 overtime triumph against the Kitchener Rangers on Sunday afternoon.

He's 6'5", 204 lbs, and will turn 20 in March.

As a 2017 draft pick, I think he's eligible for Rochester next year, right?

And then maybe, maybe, he's Hutton's backup the following year, which will be the last year of Hutton's contract?

And then NHL stardom!

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

https://www.sudbury.com/sports/hes-on-fire-wolves-unstoppable-goalie-ukko-pekka-luukkonen-named-ohls-player-of-the-week-1077645

And then maybe, maybe, he's Hutton's backup the following year, which will be the last year of Hutton's contract?

And then NHL stardom!

I, for one, am somewhat surprised at his success.    Watching him play in the prospects tournament, I didn't feel that great about his game.    That said, it's still early, let's see how he develops before anointing him a future starter.     It's certainly better than seeing him struggle, but at the same time he's going from playing against men overseas to kids in the OHL... who generally don't have the same shot velocity as he's been accustomed to.   

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

And then NHL stardom!

He was eligible for Rochester this season. He’s a Euro skater on loan to the CHL.

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Not sure,  but would it be the best for his development?

Let him dominate at Sudbury and maybe have him report to Rochester once Sudbury’s Playoffs are completed. 

If we could I'd still perfer he stays where he is. He's at least 2 years from the NHL, more likely 3/4 years 

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Does anyone know whether, If they do call him up to Rochester, he can be sent back down to juniors if they change their minds? 

As far as I know they cannot send him back down if he’s brought up while Sudbury’s season is ongoing.

On 9/22/2018 at 9:13 PM, Hoss said:

Still, none of this excuses whiffing on three second-round picks. In the draft a GM’s job is to beat the numbers, not follow them.

And Regier pretty much did the same thing in 2013. Tim Murray was an all-time incompetent GM, but so was post-lockout Regier. From 2012-2014, the Sabres had SIXTEEN draft picks within the top 74....5 of them 1st rounders and 7 of them 2nd rounders. Only 4 of those picks are currently on the team (Girgensons, McCabe, Risto, Reinhart). The draft day incompetency during the early years of this playoff drought is the biggest reason why the franchise is where it's at right now. Murray should never hold an important job in the NHL ever again; the same goes for Regier, wherever that joke of a GM is in this world.

Anyway...this is a great thread, so I'd like to update it. Keeping the rules simple, rank all Sabres prospects based on their estimated long-term NHL impact. This includes their pure hockey talent, work ethic, development time remaining, etc... Exclude those currently with the big club (so no Dahlin, Mitts, Tage, Ullmark) and those whom you think have no long-term NHL future:

1. Nylander

2. Pilut

3. Guhle

4. Asplund

5. Olofsson

6. Davidsson

7. Samuelsson

8. Luukkonen

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Pilut has 2 Goals and 2 Assists through 3 games 

Hopefully he keeps it going, love his game.     Would be nice to finally catch lighting in a bottle after all these years of whiffing on guys like Antipin, etc.. 

28 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Hopefully he keeps it going, love his game.     Would be nice to finally catch lighting in a bottle after all these years of whiffing on guys like Antipin, etc.. 

You were literally pissed that we signed him 

Like, actively angry that he was given a contract by us

Edited by Randall Flagg

11 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I like this better but I would add in Borgen somewhere in the list.

Good call. I was going too much off the list before me and only remembered to add Smith.

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Pilut0.thumb.JPG.3222579f477eb44a205a592cc25e024b.JPG

Pilut1.thumb.JPG.f8e4fbcbeff42cb9052c44bdcd341501.JPG

Thems the receipts.

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

You were literally pissed that we signed him 

Like, actively angry that he was given a contract by us

What does it matter? pi was still right to be mad. He even used the term lightening in a bottle back then. Just because they actually might have doesn't make him wrong for actually just wanting an actual NHL player at the time.

Edited by SwampD
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.